mtbr member
    May 2008

Meanwhile...over at the Trek forum

Thought this was an interesting comment and nice props to the new Tracer (my LBS doesn't get why I always want to go Intense and they pimp the Treks to me - if only they would try the Intense, they would understand why).

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts
    I demoed an Intense Tracer VP last weekend. I got to tell you, it was sweet. But I still love my EX9. But I really thought the Intense did way better downhill and handles small bumps better.

So when I went to my LBS (not the one who lent me the demo), I told them about this. They were kind of shocked as I was too. To be honest, the way the Intense felt was exactly how I expected my EX9 to feel when I bought it a year ago. Small bumps were sooo supple and smooth on the Intense. My 9 feels kinda harsh, like it hits hard on small bumps. And downhill felt solid on the Intense and today, on my ride, my 9 felt kinda shaky as if its not planted to the ground. My 9 is my first FS, so I thought it was just the way an FS felt untill I rode that darn Intense!! The shop asked me about my set up and sag, rebound, blah blah. So today, before my ride, I set up my 9 closer to 30% sag and set the rebound at 7 clicks from slow. (the shop said I may have had my rebound set too slow, hence the shaky feek DH). I immediately felt the sag, and stopped and lower my stem. I felt like I had ape hangers with the 30% sag. So off I went. Did not get the feel I was looking for. Actually, when I got back, I put the sag back to 25%. For the record, faster speeds, and bigger bumps/ hits feel the same, not a big difference, but that darn small bump like on fire road climbs was just great feeling on the Intense.

Anyone have any ideas, advice, or 2 cents on this?

V-Shaped Rut
    I gave him some advice.