Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Marzocchi on new Tracer?

Hi everyone,

I just ordered the new Tracer frame and debating if I should get the Marzocchi 2009 55 ata fork. Anyone running a 55 ata on their tracer? If so, please provide some feedback.

thanks,

mtbr member

Should be perfect...

My opinion is the new 09 55's will be perfect for the new Tracer. The regular ATA (black), is adjustable up to 160mm and is quite cheap by comparison to some other options for the tracer. The white micro 55 ATA is quite nice with nickle stanchions, goes up to 165mm and is about 1/3 lb lighter I think.

Crank it down to a 110-120 setting and put the bike in the 5.5" rear mode and you have an XC ripper, crank it up to 165mm and put the bike in the longer travel mode and you have a great FR/AM bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima1
    Hi everyone,

I just ordered the new Tracer frame and debating if I should get the Marzocchi 2009 55 ata fork. Anyone running a 55 ata on their tracer? If so, please provide some feedback.

thanks,
    If they've got their QC issues sorted for '09 the 55ATA would be a good fit for the Tracer VP. The adjustable travel is quite a bit more finicky/fussy to use than the easy 1-2-3 of the Talas36 but the action is at least as good. The 55 ATA may be a bit heavier (.5 lbs?) than the TALAS too. But other than those three concerns, it's a good choice.

I believe the Tracer really benefits from an adjustable travel fork.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-09-2008 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    I go with the 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 or the 2009 Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn/Solo Air/2-Step 1.5, For a little bit more money than the 2009 55ATA it is well worth it. I have the 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 I couldn't be any happier with the fork its great. Like KROB said very easy to use when going from 100mm,130mm,160mm. The fork just looks sick on the bike. Fox did their home work on this fork it works great.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-09-2008 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member

a little heavier

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    If they've got their QC issues sorted for '09 the 55ATA would be a good fit for the Tracer VP. The adjustable travel is quite a bit more finicky/fussy to use than the easy 1-2-3 of the Talas36 but the action is at least as good. The 55 ATA may be a bit heavier (.5 lbs?) than the TALAS too. But other than those three concerns, it's a good choice.

I believe the Tracer really benefits from an adjustable travel fork.
    The Zoke 55 micro ata is 5.2 lbs and the talas rc2 is 5.08 lbs. The Fox is about $100.00 heavier and has an easier travel adjust system for 100, 130 and 160. The zoke has infinite adjustment from 125-160, and is about $100 cheaper.

The 09 Lyriks are starting to trickle out, if you are going to go Rockshox, get the 2-step, very worth it. I like to swap forks back and forth between bikes, so I rarely will go with a 1.5" steerer tube, but others might like it just fine. You pay a small premium for a 1.5" steerer with a fox fork.

mtbr member
    Here is some info on the best two in my opinion for the Tracer Vpp- LyrikView LargerSpring U-Turn / Solo Air / 2-Step
    Travel 115-160mm/160mm/115-160mm
    Travel Adjust U-Turn / / 2-Step
    Weight* 2566g (5.66 lbs) / 2236g (4.93 lbs) / 2504g (5.52lbs)
    Spring Adjust Coil U-Turn / Air pressure via single Schrader valve
    Damping Mission Control
    Damping Adjust External rebound, high speed compression, low speed compression, Floodgate switch and internal Floodgate
    Lowers Magnesium, Maxle 360 20mm axle, post disc mount
    Crown Forged, hollow AL 66 TV, anodized aluminum
    Steerer Tube Aluminum 1 1/8, 1.5 (+2g), tapered (+4g)
    Upper Tubes 35mm, 7000 series striaght wall aluminum, low friction anodized with travel gradients
    Standard Colors Black, Diffusion Black, Diffusion Silver, White

36 TALAS 160 RC2 (1.5-inch steerer)
    $1,064.99

Go anywhere, do anything, then do it again on Fox's 36 TALAS RC2. Their proven TALAS (Travel Adjust Linear Air Spring) has evolved into a super-easy 3-stage system. With two flicks of a lever, you can adjust your travel down to 100mm for easy climbing, then open it back up and devour the descents with 160mm of buttery-smooth travel. The huge 36mm-diameter stanchions, big 1.5-inch diameter steerer and quick-release 20mm through-axle give you unprecedented rigidity and steering precision on even the roughest descents and allow you to run an 8-inch rotor. Plus, the adjustable high- and low-speed compression and rebound let you dial in your settings exactly to your liking.

Travel: 160, 130, 100mm
    Spring: Air
    Disc only
    Weight: 5.05 pounds

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    I have the 36 TALAS RC2 1.5 on my tracer and it is fabulous.
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny427
    I have the 36 TALAS RC2 1.5 on my tracer and it is fabulous.
    I feel like the 36 Talas RC2 1.5 was made for the Tracer Vpp. I can't understand why anyone would want to put another fork on that bike. Its like three forks in one aka more like three bikes in one. I have been running the 130MM front and 5.5 in the rear and the bike just rips!!! Very fast.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Smile

I'll definitely look into the fox 36. Thanks for all of your replies.

mtbr member

well...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    I feel like the 36 Talas RC2 1.5 was made for the Tracer Vpp. I can't understand why anyone would want to put another fork on that bike. Its like three forks in one aka more like three bikes in one. I have been running the 130MM front and 5.5 in the rear and the bike just rips!!! Very fast.
    Well, some people like the feel of a fox, some like the feel of a zoke, and some like the feel of a rockshox... In all seriousness, the lyrik solo air is the lightest but doesn't have travel adjust. Some also like to be different, might have had bad experiences with Fox in the past, or even for a simple reason of color choice.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hijack but what about a manitou nixon platinum? This is the fork my lbs is throwing in with a X.0 build kit for my new tracer. I am not sold on this fork. Whats another fork i should be looking at that will not skyrocket the price on my build? Or is the manitou good?

mtbr member
    Bro stay away from that fork 32mm stanchions. You want 36mm stanchions. Go with the Fox Talas,Rock.Shox Lyrik, or the zoke 55 ATA. Tell the shop you want to up grade the fork. It will be well worth it in the long run. Look at it this way pay some more and be happy with the fork. Or go with a so so fork then spend more money down the road when you want to up grade your wasting money. Even if you sell that fork-Nixon on E/Bay your not going to get people fighting over it to buy it. I little info for you. I was told by a shop guy that there is more mark up in a Rock/Shox than a Fox fork maybe your shop can work with you. For a great fork your going to have to spend some money. A good fork makes this bike rip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What Nixon? They have different models with different dampers. If it is a TPC+, I would definitely take it over the Fox. If it's Intrinsic I would also, however, more difficult maintenance accompanies that damper. 32mm doesn't mean it's inferior, there's more to forks that stanchion diameter, the Boxxer world cup currently has 32mm, does that mean a Fox 40 is much better??

mtbr member
    it is the intrinsic. Otherwise I would be looking at the lyriks 2 step.

mtbr member

Hit or miss in years past...

I've had some great Nixxon forks in the past. Smooth, maintenance free, great dampening, but then again, I've had some blow oil, lock down or up, and be a general pain. Recently I was terribly impressed by Rockshox warranty dept. Had a Lyrik that had the bushings replaced by qbp once, and when it happened again, called Rockshox and they simply sent a brand new 09 immediately without question. Very nice.

Johnny, I'm confused by the markup issue. Fox and Rockshox have an identical margin, but Rockshox offers volume discounts and Fox does not offer any discounts except for a pre season order. Therefore, wouldn't the rockshox have a bit more room to barter? Or were you saying that?

Maybe Intense should just include a Talas 36 with every Tracer frame and increase the cost by $1000.00, as that is the ONLY fork that should be used for that bike...

If you want to keep the price down, save $650.00 and go with the Zoke 55 ATA (the black one) as its $600.00 at full retail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I've had some great Nixxon forks in the past. Smooth, maintenance free, great dampening, but then again, I've had some blow oil, lock down or up, and be a general pain. Recently I was terribly impressed by Rockshox warranty dept. Had a Lyrik that had the bushings replaced by qbp once, and when it happened again, called Rockshox and they simply sent a brand new 09 immediately without question. Very nice.

Johnny, I'm confused by the markup issue. Fox and Rockshox have an identical margin, but Rockshox offers volume discounts and Fox does not offer any discounts except for a pre season order. Therefore, wouldn't the rockshox have a bit more room to barter? Or were you saying that?

Maybe Intense should just include a Talas 36 with every Tracer frame and increase the cost by $1000.00, as that is the ONLY fork that should be used for that bike...

If you want to keep the price down, save $650.00 and go with the Zoke 55 ATA (the black one) as its $600.00 at full retail.
    That is what I was saying about the Rock/Shox its costs is cheaper than the 36 Talas aka better deal- less money for the Rock/Shox. Hey what can I say I like the Fork allot and if Intense did do that I am sure there would be some nice savings as opposed to the bike shop getting the fork though fox. I would have saved some money if I got my fork though Intense but I wanted the 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5. They did not have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie11
    What Nixon? They have different models with different dampers. If it is a TPC+, I would definitely take it over the Fox. If it's Intrinsic I would also, however, more difficult maintenance accompanies that damper. 32mm doesn't mean it's inferior, there's more to forks that stanchion diameter, the Boxxer world cup currently has 32mm, does that mean a Fox 40 is much better??
    I like a fork that does not flex. So yes I feel 36mm to 40mm are better than 32mm. I think Fox-36mm and Rock/Shox-35mm and Marzocchi-35mm have the right idea going with the 35mm or 36mm- For a free-ride,all mountain, very strong fork. And if I was in the market for a triple crown I would go with a 40mm. I know allot of people who had head aches with their Manitou forks. One came on my Spec hard tail I did not like it. Something was going wrong with it. P.S why would you want a fork with-more difficult maintenance. I rather be riding than messing around with a touchy fork.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-10-2008 at 05:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i'm confused - why don't Fox make a Talas fork that is adjustable between 160 and 140mm as that is where all trail bikes are going (tracer, 575, blur lt etc.)...surely 130mm is too short on a Tracer, and 100mm is just plain wrong on it, even for climbing...if they insist on the 36 talas being 3 step, then why not 160-140-120mm...personally iwant to ride aroung at 140mm for all riding, then crank it up to 160mm for bigger stuff when needed...so, i don't need to run a forl mainly at 130mm...but i also don't want to have to buy a 140mm fork and a seperate 16omm fork...both the 55ata and lyric appear to have issues around longevity...which is bixarre particularly for marzocchi, which ar eotherwise bombproof throughout their range...the graphics on the 55ata are also pretty lame...

phew, rant over, but if anyone can enlighten me as to why fox don't so a 140-160mm adjustavle talas then please do, as they are potentially missing a huge market...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheeled
    i'm confused - why don't Fox make a Talas fork that is adjustable between 160 and 140mm as that is where all trail bikes are going (tracer, 575, blur lt etc.)...surely 130mm is too short on a Tracer, and 100mm is just plain wrong on it, even for climbing...if they insist on the 36 talas being 3 step, then why not 160-140-120mm...personally iwant to ride aroung at 140mm for all riding, then crank it up to 160mm for bigger stuff when needed...so, i don't need to run a forl mainly at 130mm...but i also don't want to have to buy a 140mm fork and a seperate 16omm fork...both the 55ata and lyric appear to have issues around longevity...which is bixarre particularly for marzocchi, which ar eotherwise bombproof throughout their range...the graphics on the 55ata are also pretty lame...

phew, rant over, but if anyone can enlighten me as to why fox don't so a 140-160mm adjustavle talas then please do, as they are potentially missing a huge market...
    Good Q. Maybe there is someone on this forum who wks for Fox and can answer that Q. But I can say this. I have Tracer Vpp with a 2009 Fox Talas 36 RC2 1.5 fork. In the 100mm setting it climbs like a champ, The 130mm setting which I had been running my last two rides is truly amazing the bike just rips.The 130mm is a Little bit over five inches of travel so the rear being in the 5.5 setting it does not seem like big deal. But I have to say you have point and a great idea and if Fox were to change the Talas 36 to 120mm-140mm-160mm I think it would be a great way to go. I would like to hear from esquire and other guys who own shops to hear what there take on this is.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-10-2008 at 01:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I agree. 130 mm seems like a very odd choice for a number of setups, including mine. But I assume Fox's thinking is that the 130mm setting is reserved for climbing on a 160mm long travel trail bike. If one needed a 140 mm setting they'd be looking at the 32 Talas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    but a 140-160 combo would be perfect for the Tracer...i can climb happily on 140mm...but 1560mm would be great for descending ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    doh! 160 for descending! 1560mm would be interesting though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Marzocchi offered me a fork replacement that I can't reject, which I selected the '09 66 ATA RC3 instead of the 55 RC3 'cos of the travel adjustment option. the weight difference is only a pound. i still have the '09 Fox 36 Talas untouched and still inside the box. i'm torn between the two forks, set the 66 at 140mm when climbing and set it at 160mm downhill, or the fox with 130mm climbing and 160mm downhill.

i believe you guys with experience on both forks can chime in and help me with my decision. my tracer vp is just waiting at the corner wondering why is it until now she hasn't started her maiden voyage. anyways, SoCAL is still under wet condition 'til next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schumi
    Marzocchi offered me a fork replacement that I can't reject, which I selected the '09 66 ATA RC3 instead of the 55 RC3 'cos of the travel adjustment option. the weight difference is only a pound. i still have the '09 Fox 36 Talas untouched and still inside the box. i'm torn between the two forks, set the 66 at 140mm when climbing and set it at 160mm downhill, or the fox with 130mm climbing and 160mm downhill.

i believe you guys with experience on both forks can chime in and help me with my decision. my tracer vp is just waiting at the corner wondering why is it until now she hasn't started her maiden voyage. anyways, SoCAL is still under wet condition 'til next week.
    I would go with the 2009 Fox Talas 36.I think the fork is awesome. I have the 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 on my Tracer Vpp I like it allot it was between the 36 Talas or the Lyrik.I went with the Fox. I feel it is a much better fork all the way around. Stronger,built better,easier to use, and way easier to drop the fork down. And it is lighter than the Marzocchi 2009 66 ATA RC3. Plus 180mm travel for the Tracer Vpp is over kill.My advice get the 2009 66 ATA RC3 keep it put it on a 7+ inch Travel bike like the new Uzzi. Or get the 55 ATA Micro instead have it as a back up fork. If you have already gotten the 66 ATA 2009 RC3 140-180 I would put it on E/Bay. They are going for about $999.00 on the low to $1099.00 on the high. Go with the Fox. or put the 66 ATA RC3 on a big travel bike.Or sell it. P.S You won't be sorry with the Fox. There are plenty of guys on this forum with new Tracer Vpp's with 2009 Fox Talas 36 on then and I haven't heard any one say anything negative about the 2009 Fox 36 Talas at all. Only the opposite. Myself and all the other guys are very happy with the 2009 Fox Talas.You got a sweet fork now just put it on that Tracer. I am with you on the rain. Here the East Coast its been raining on and off for over a week its a ice cold mud bog. Dying to go riding its been going on almost two weeks.So I feel ya.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-17-2008 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Johnny, the fork has adjustable travel from 140-180. if i'll keep it, i'll just run it from 140-160. it's so plush (buttah) compare to fox, which is common to all Marz forks. currently I have a 55R, which is also buttery smooth and stiff. The 66 has nickel stanchions, and eventhough I haven't broken-in yet...they're really plush compare to the fox whenever I compress it like a pogo stick.

is fox really that linear, 'cos i dont feel big resistance whenever it's close to the end of the travel. i know the HSC knob can help, but in the real world of hitting it big with the rider's weight, bike's weight, and the laws of physics...well I think I need to know more.
    Last edited by schumi; 12-18-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast