Man that was Intense.

Printable View

  • 12-17-2006
    DIRTJUNKIE
    2 Attachment(s)
    Man that was Intense.
    Old Intense owners inquire within.
    I'm riding a 2001' UZZI-SL which I built up in 02' and it's still going strong.


    Attachment 981930
    When new in 2002' on Big Laguna Trail / Noble Canyon, San Diego.

    Attachment 981931
    And the recent build up, photo at Lake Hodges, San Diego.
  • 04-16-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Anybody care to share a vintage INTENSE with us? I still ride this 01' UZZI SL and love the way it rides. This is an old photo and most parts have been updated since.
    So how about it, anybody else still still on a classic?
  • 04-17-2011
    nordstadt
    Old Tracer:



    Chris
  • 04-23-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Nice Tracer Chris! Apparently we're the only two still riding the fine bikes that put INTENSE at the top. How about it anybody else still riding a vintage INTENSE? Post up some photos.
  • 05-07-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Is that all you got? I'll take your best shot.
  • 05-08-2011
    starship303
    by vintage you mean pre-VPP?
  • 05-09-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by starship303
    by vintage you mean pre-VPP?

    Yeah any INTENSE pre VPP would do. I'm just curious what early INTENSE bikes are still out on the trail..
  • 05-16-2011
    big_slacker
    I was riding a tracer similar to Nordstadt's up until a couple years ago. In 2003 it was my dream bike after riding a spesh rockhopper hardtail for 5 years.





    And it ended up as a very light full suspension singlespeed. I sold it on ebay and its still on the trails AFAIK.

  • 07-02-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Anybody else care to share thier classic INTENSE?
  • 07-02-2011
    eluv
    Here is my classic
    This was my dream bike when I was a starving student riding a fully rigid second hand Bridgstone. I open up my first Mountain Bike Action mag and there it was an Uzzi SL. A vision of beauty. By the time I could afford one they stop making it so I purchased a custom Uzzi SLX, it was on order and I saw this one at Big Bear at a AM cup race. I have upgraded some items since I bought it:

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48507723@N06/5895997188/" title="DSC02739 by grumpe80, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/5895997188_9e0669d2f7_z.jpg" width="640" height="428" alt="DSC02739"></a>

    Intense Hadley Hub and a 03 Marzocchi Z1 Freeride
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48507723@N06/5895426217/" title="DSC02734 by grumpe80, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5895426217_c77fd2b598_z.jpg" width="428" height="640" alt="DSC02734"></a>

    I wish they would do this on the new bikes
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48507723@N06/5895995972/" title="DSC02735 by grumpe80, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5038/5895995972_5251b52748_z.jpg" width="640" height="428" alt="DSC02735"></a>

    Got my dream bike and it is a Prototype
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/48507723@N06/5895426955/" title="DSC02737 by grumpe80, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5277/5895426955_bb45a732bc_z.jpg" width="428" height="640" alt="DSC02737"></a>
  • 07-02-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Very nice ride! My UZZI-SL has that same USA stamp on the swing arm..:cool: So what makes that bike a prototype? Other than the paint what is different? The parts group is nice but prototype useually has to do with something different in frame or suspension design. Just curious but the bike is sweet either way.:thumbsup:BTW awesome paint and decal scheme. The decals are identical in shape to stock but custom in color.
  • 07-02-2011
    eluv
    I'm sure its the same the person I bought it from I think raced for Intense-Maxxis. The decales are the most current I cut out the yellow.
  • 07-02-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    I'm sure its the same the person I bought it from I think raced for Intense-Maxxis. The decales are the most current I cut out the yellow.

    Great idea on the decals. You have a close up of the serial number is there something different about it?
  • 07-03-2011
    eluv
    "PROTO" is the serial number. Are you running gothic rotors? I have one in the rear wheel loking for a 8" for the front
  • 07-03-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    "PROTO" is the serial number. Are you running gothic rotors? I have one in the rear wheel loking for a 8" for the front

    "PROTO" too cool!
    Yeah i'm running Hope minis with 6" rotors and only the front is gothic. There has been many upgrades since that old photo.Chris King red hubs laced to Mavic 729s w/red nipples on black rims, kenda nevs. 2.35s. Sram XO trigger shifters and XO rear der. XTR crank and rear cassette. Crank Brothers Joplin w/remote adj. Seatpost. Thomson stem,Chris King head set carbon spacers,Easton monkey lite carbon bars. O.D.I. Lock ons w/ Intense grips. SDL gel saddle w/Intense cover. Fox Vanilla RLC 125 mm fork Fox RC shock and Time carbon titanium ATAC pedals. Well that about covers the current build. Apparently I'm way bored as I wait for my dog to to get his yearly grooming.;)
  • 07-05-2011
    pomocanthus
    I just picked up an old Intense frame that was powder coated. I had no idea what model or year it was until stumbling upon this thread. Apparently it is an old Tracer but still don't know year. From the look of the design I would guess between 1999 and 2001. Design is similar to a '99 Specialized Stumpy FSR I have sitting in garage. The Tracer has XTR cranks and Fox rear suspension. It looks like I can adjust geometry quite a bit. Any advice as I build up this classic? I have some SRAM X7 stuff lying around that I will put on as well as a leftover Avid BB7 disc brakes. I also have some Mavics 717 with Deore hubs and Raptor tires. I haven't picked out a fork yet. Any idea what the travel is on the Fox rear?
  • 07-08-2011
    eluv
    pomocanthus the rear travel on a uzzi sl is 4.75". I would use your leftover part and have fun. When i first purchased the bike I had a 100mm fork Manitou then I got a good deal on a 125mm Fox Talas and currently running a 130mm Z1. I would not go over 130mm. I hope this helps.
  • 07-09-2011
    pomocanthus
    eluv, thanks for info. I actually have a Tora w 130 travel that I was thinking about putting on there but wasn't sure til now. BTW, like the rims on your MCS in the background.
  • 07-09-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pomocanthus View Post
    eluv, thanks for info. I actually have a Tora w 130 travel that I was thinking about putting on there but wasn't sure til now. BTW, like the rims on your MCS in the background.

    You said you bought an old Tracer not an UZZ-SL correct? If so the rear travel is 3.5 " which makes a 130mm fork too tall up front. That frame is designed for a 80mm to a 100mm max. You could put a UZZI-SL link on and run a 125mm-130mm fork and have an awesome light all around trail bike.
  • 07-09-2011
    nordstadt
    I ride my Tracer with an 130 mm Z1, before it had an 100 mm Z1 and it handels better than with the 100 mm - give it a try!

    Chris
  • 07-10-2011
    pvflyer
    4 Attachment(s)
    It's long gone
    My, SLX long gone can't find pic's of my M1. It was a bit flexy till I threw a 12mm TA, it was day and night. Hey J, Nishida are you still out there?

    Great bike
  • 07-10-2011
    WE Warrior
    1 Attachment(s)
    Love my Intenses
    On my 3rd one since 1993.

    1993 Spyder
    1998 Uzzi SL
    2010 Tracer VPP :thumbsup:
  • 07-13-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Warrior,
    You sure have a sweet quiver of rides there. Looks like you have your own little Intense museum going. And what is awesome is you still own all of them.:thumbsup:
  • 07-24-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by WE Warrior View Post
    On my 3rd one since 1993.

    1993 Spyder
    1998 Uzzi SL
    2010 Tracer VPP :thumbsup:

    We Warrior, Seeing how you have experience on both the UZZI-SL and Tracer VPP
    What is your view on the difference's between the two rides?
  • 07-24-2011
    eluv
    DirtJunkie your first climb on a VPP you will never go back. 4 bar (FSR) is fun but the pedal efficiency on the VPP bikes are second to none. I ride my Uzzi once in a blue moon actually I am letting my friend use it until he buys his own bike. I rode the first gen spyder vpp and I end up buying a 5.5 and been riding that for the past 6 years or so.
  • 07-24-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    DirtJunkie your first climb on a VPP you will never go back. 4 bar (FSR) is fun but the pedal efficiency on the VPP bikes are second to none. I ride my Uzzi once in a blue moon actually I am letting my friend use it until he buys his own bike. I rode the first gen spyder vpp and I end up buying a 5.5 and been riding that for the past 6 years or so.

    Thanks, Yeah I figured the climbing efficiency on the VPP would be better. But is there that MUCH of a difference. I guess the only way to prove it to myself would be to throw a leg over one. But I just love the way the 4 bar (FSR) does everything well.
  • 07-24-2011
    eluv
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Thanks, Yeah I figured the climbing efficiency on the VPP would be better. But is there that MUCH of a difference. I guess the only way to prove it to myself would be to throw a leg over one. But I just love the way the 4 bar (FSR) does everything well.

    Just picture a lighter bike with more travel, a plusher ride and pedal efficiency thats out of this world.
  • 07-25-2011
    Enduro203
    3 Attachment(s)
    His and Her intense Rides
    Here are a few pics of my Uzzi SL and my wife's Tracer. We have been riding them together for about 8 years. I was very content with my Uzzi until i saw the blowout sale on the Tracers at Jenson. My new VP frame will be here tomorrow...
  • 07-25-2011
    eluv
    Congrats on the Tracer. Post pics when its done. That is a clean looking Uzzi SL.
  • 07-25-2011
    Enduro203
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    Congrats on the Tracer. Post pics when its done. That is a clean looking Uzzi SL.

    Thanks, it's been a great bike and seen a few upgrades over the years, but the frame has remained solid since day 1.
  • 07-25-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduro203 View Post
    Thanks, it's been a great bike and seen a few upgrades over the years, but the frame has remained solid since day 1.

    Both bikes look sweet! and glad to see another SL still rocking the trails. Just curious on your input on switching to an air shock on the SL. I have thrown the idea around over the years but just love the liniar feel and less stiction of the vanilla RC coil that was standard issue for that frame. Although the air would save in weight and probably help in the climbing department, it would be nice to hear from someone who has made the switch BTW Congrats on your new purchase like eluv said post up some photos when done.
  • 07-26-2011
    Enduro203
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Both bikes look sweet! and glad to see another SL still rocking the trails. Just curious on your input on switching to an air shock on the SL. I have thrown the idea around over the years but just love the liniar feel and less stiction of the vanilla RC coil that was standard issue for that frame. Although the air would save in weight and probably help in the climbing department, it would be nice to hear from someone who has made the switch BTW Congrats on your new purchase like eluv said post up some photos when done.

    Thanks Dirt Junkie. I used a Pushed RP3 which shaved about a pound and I did notice some improvement in power to the ground on the climbs. There are plenty of 6.5 x 1.5 airs out there for cheap, or borrow one for a few days, it might be worth your while to experiment.

    The new VP build may take a few weeks. I am trying to generate some funds for a new fork. The frame purchase left me drained.
  • 07-28-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduro203 View Post
    Thanks Dirt Junkie. I used a Pushed RP3 which shaved about a pound and I did notice some improvement in power to the ground on the climbs. There are plenty of 6.5 x 1.5 airs out there for cheap, or borrow one for a few days, it might be worth your while to experiment.

    The new VP build may take a few weeks. I am trying to generate some funds for a new fork. The frame purchase left me drained.

    Sounds like a good idea I will have to keep my eyes open for a good deal on one. Sorry for the late response I have family from out of town visiting. And I haven't had time to get on this site for awhile.
  • 07-31-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    :madmax:
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduro203 View Post
    Thanks Dirt Junkie. I used a Pushed RP3 which shaved about a pound and I did notice some improvement in power to the ground on the climbs. There are plenty of 6.5 x 1.5 airs out there for cheap, or borrow one for a few days, it might be worth your while to experiment.

    The new VP build may take a few weeks. I am trying to generate some funds for a new fork. The frame purchase left me drained.

  • 07-31-2011
    Moosey
    1 Attachment(s)
    mines a 2002... Took it up to Northstar yesterday, still an amazing bike!

    Attachment 629842
  • 07-31-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    And that is one of my hesitations in buying a new frame hence your purchase of the VP frame. If I were to shell out 2k on a new frame I still have the expense of the parts group. Even though all of my upgraded parts from my UZZI-SL will switch right over The expense of an additional 1 thousand to 15 hundred for a fork would kill me.
  • 07-31-2011
    Enduro203
    I managed to sell my uzzi frame and fork on ebay and found a new 2010 Fox Float 36 on Pinkbike for 500.00. The Jenson Tracer frame deal for 1200 was just too good to pas up. Even though they are listing them a 2009 models, mine was actually a late 2010 model. In all, I'll have less than 2k invested in essentially a new Tracer.
  • 07-31-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduro203 View Post
    I managed to sell my uzzi frame and fork on ebay and found a new 2010 Fox Float 36 on Pinkbike for 500.00. The Jenson Tracer frame deal for 1200 was just too good to pas up. Even though they are listing them a 2009 models, mine was actually a late 2010 model. In all, I'll have less than 2k invested in essentially a new Tracer.

    Cool! Just curious how much did you get for the UZZI-SL and fork?

    BTW MOOSEY, Sweet 2002 M-1 The master of disaster in the DH for many years.:thumbsup:
  • 07-31-2011
    Enduro203
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Cool! Just curious how much did you get for the UZZI-SL and fork?

    The frame went for 250 and the fork for 180.
    I probably could have gotten more for both, but priced for a quick "Buy it Now" sale. Both went in one day. The headset and seat post have bids, but won't be done until tomorrow, so I'll have a little more for some spare parts to put in the camelbak.
  • 07-31-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduro203 View Post
    The frame went for 250 and the fork for 180.
    I probably could have gotten more for both, but priced for a quick "Buy it Now" sale. Both went in one day. The headset and seat post have bids, but won't be done until tomorrow, so I'll have a little more for some spare parts to put in the camelbak.

    Actually that's about what I would expect them to go for as a package deal. About $500 on the high end,.so it sounds like you did OK. Make sure to post up some shots up after the build.:thumbsup:
  • 08-09-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    mines a 2002... Took it up to Northstar yesterday, still an amazing bike!

    Attachment 629842

    Moosey for a 2002 DH rig that bike sure looks clean:thumbsup:
  • 08-21-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Anybody else still on a dinosaur of an Intense? Care to share it with us post it up. I'm out the door to fire up my old uzzi-sl.
  • 08-21-2011
    dab
    3 Attachment(s)
    These are my 2 oldies + 1 SS1
    I started off with a Uzzi SL back in 1998 and still have it assembled and ready to ride if needed. I will try to post a picture of it later. I built up a 2002 Tracer 3 years ago for a race and training bike. The tracer weighs about 23.5. I just rebuilt the 2000 Uzzi DH this year and using it as my All Mountain ride.:) I made a jump to the VPP side and got a 2009SS1 last year and its been a blast to ride. :thumbsup:


    Attachment 634765

    Attachment 634766

    Attachment 634767
  • 08-23-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Nice INTENSE museum you got going there dab. Its nice to see an old DH still shredding the trails. All updated parts on all even the Tracer,sweet. I see you are running the Joplin on all. I have one on my SL as well and love it. BTW post up some photos of your SL.
  • 09-18-2011
    herb1234
    4 Attachment(s)
    heres my three, no longer own them but i still had alot of fun on them when i did.

    a 1999 DH uzzi with the SP 12mm rear end on it, my first ever fully

    03 SLX uzzi in small, super fun bike but at the end of the day just to small for me.

    02 SLX uzzi in med, my last intense. a great do all bike, the one i miss the most.
  • 09-18-2011
    eluv
    Herb, what color is that SLX frame? That looks like the one I hade custom painted from Intense. DId it come with a 5th element with a TI spring?
  • 09-19-2011
    herb1234
    The colour was gray which i didn't think was a custom colour. It did have a 5th on it when i got it but with a steel spring.
  • 10-02-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Nice rides Herb! Two :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    So you sold them to Dougal who was recently asking for specs on the SLX?
    I love my SL but looking back I wish I had gone with the SLX. I think that bike can hang even by today's standards, don't you?
  • 10-06-2011
    amjp23
    2002 intense uzzi sl?
    Hi, just wanted to ask a question about a guy who wants a trade. I have a 2006 trek 6500 disc ht and he has the intense, would this be a good trade for me and if so until what year did the uzzi sl's are made? Thank you.
  • 10-07-2011
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by amjp23 View Post
    Hi, just wanted to ask a question about a guy who wants a trade. I have a 2006 trek 6500 disc ht and he has the intense, would this be a good trade for me and if so until what year did the uzzi sl's are made? Thank you.

    I think if you traded for the SL you would be ripping him off. In otherwards jump on it before he changes his mind. :thumbsup:The last year the UZZI-SL was made was 2002' but the 2001' was exactly the same except for the stickers.