Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 177
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9

    Grandaddy Intense Uzzi XC - vintage 1997

    Man that was Intense.-97-intense-uzzi-xc.jpg


    97 Intense Uzzi XC --Need the parts to convert this to a SL or SLX.

    As an Impoverished college student back in Michigan I had desired a nice ride like an Intense but a Giant ATX890 was the best I could afford. I rode the wooded single tracks every weekend until I migrated to Arizona in 1998. The Giant ATX was stolen shortly thereafter and I never found friends who rode.

    Fast forward to last week and I got a hankering to start riding again. I found this Intense on Craigs list and adopted it for $300 from a 12-year old that it was way too big for. In fact he had used a hacksaw to cut 3" off of the Thompson seat post so he could ride it. His daddy put slicks on it for cruizing the neighborhood.

    I believe that the fork is a 97 Marzcchi Bomber in the front and a Fox ALPS 5 in the rear. There are no tabs for disc brakes. It had a XTR 3x8 drive train. I've ordered some new UST wheels and upgraded the drive train to 3x9, installed a new seatpost and a few other odds & ends.

    What I'm really yearning for is to get my hands on the parts needed to convert this XC into a SL or SLX. If anybody happens to the rear struts and shock linkage stuff please shoot me a private message.

    Man that was Intense.-97-intense-rear-triangle.jpg

  2. #152
    I fix your broken ****!
    Reputation: Sam-IntenseCustServ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    249
    Classic...nice find

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMc View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97 Intense Uzzi XC.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	814638


    97 Intense Uzzi XC --Need the parts to convert this to a SL or SLX.


    What I'm really yearning for is to get my hands on the parts needed to convert this XC into a SL or SLX. If anybody happens to the rear struts and shock linkage stuff please shoot me a private message.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97 intense rear triangle.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	814640
    Nice find I'll see the original style spiders pop up here and there but not an Uzzi xc. What it would cost you for a rear shock, shock linkage and rear stay you might as well look for a sl or slx frame and sell that to me.

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    360
    PM'd you off your other post.

  5. #155
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Hey Brent you care to post up some photo's of that beauty.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9
    I'm nearly done with my build and hope to have pictures to share in the next two weeks. I like how it's coming out.

  7. #157
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMc View Post
    I'm nearly done with my build and hope to have pictures to share in the next two weeks. I like how it's coming out.
    Still waiting!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9

    Finally got it put together today - HUGE thanks to the guys on this thread!!!!!

    About two months ago I posted a picture of my Grandaddy Uzzi XC and put a shout out looking for help. I was looking for a Uzzi SL or SLX rear end.

    One member named ROXTAR was so cool. He shipped me the pivot things to use on a SL at no charge. He rides a highly modified Uzzi SL that is Orange. You can see his way cool rig earlier in this thread.

    Then another member named SRALPH offered to sell me his SLX frame for $100 noting that it had a broken chain stay.

    A third member who happened to live nearby named Jay PM'd me saying he had some parts. I drove out to his house and he hooked me up with a chain stay at no charge.

    As it turns out the parts wouldn't go together as there are some small differences between them. The SLX uses BEEFIER bolts and there were a couple other small differences in the frames.

    I decided to strip the paint off the SLX with the broken chain stay. I wanted it to have that mottled RAW look that Intense is used on many of its new rigs. To accomplish this I chose not to use any abrasives at all. I used 4 cans of Duplicolor stripper and a lot of time with the pressure washer.

    I then found a guy here locally who used to weld frames for a living at Titus (Quasimoto) back in the day. He fixed the chain stay and then had it heat treated to return the Alloy to T6. The weld looks beautiful.

    Man that was Intense.-20130905_182105_resized.jpg

    This is a picture of the Chain stay that was repaired.
    Man that was Intense.-20130905_182133_resized.jpg

    I'm sooooo grateful to the guys on this thread. I can't wait to ride this weekend.


    God Bless!

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    360
    So cool to see my old Uzzi SLX back in business. Raw finish looks great too. Lots of great adventures on that bike, was bummed when it cracked and I couldn't get a chainstay anymore.

    Have fun Brent!

  10. #160
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMc View Post
    About two months ago I posted a picture of my Grandaddy Uzzi XC and put a shout out looking for help. I was looking for a Uzzi SL or SLX rear end.

    One member named ROXTAR was so cool. He shipped me the pivot things to use on a SL at no charge. He rides a highly modified Uzzi SL that is Orange. You can see his way cool rig earlier in this thread.

    Then another member named SRALPH offered to sell me his SLX frame for $100 noting that it had a broken chain stay.

    A third member who happened to live nearby named Jay PM'd me saying he had some parts. I drove out to his house and he hooked me up with a chain stay at no charge.

    As it turns out the parts wouldn't go together as there are some small differences between them. The SLX uses BEEFIER bolts and there were a couple other small differences in the frames.

    I decided to strip the paint off the SLX with the broken chain stay. I wanted it to have that mottled RAW look that Intense is used on many of its new rigs. To accomplish this I chose not to use any abrasives at all. I used 4 cans of Duplicolor stripper and a lot of time with the pressure washer.

    I then found a guy here locally who used to weld frames for a living at Titus (Quasimoto) back in the day. He fixed the chain stay and then had it heat treated to return the Alloy to T6. The weld looks beautiful.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130905_182105_resized.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	829881

    This is a picture of the Chain stay that was repaired.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130905_182133_resized.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	829882

    I'm sooooo grateful to the guys on this thread. I can't wait to ride this weekend.


    God Bless!
    Wow that came out awesome. The weld looks pretty tight, I hope it holds up. I dread the day my uzzi-sl cracks somewhere. Just rode it yesterday and had a blast. I think you will be very happy with that bike it's a timeless design and can hold it's own on any trail.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  11. #161
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Finally able to post up a recent photo of my 2001' UZZI-SL that I've owned and rode since new.
    Current build goes as follows:
    Fox RLC-125 Fork
    Fox RC - Vanilla shock
    Hope mini disc brakes with front gothic rotor - 165 both
    Chris King Hubs with fun bolts out back
    Mavic 729's with Kenda nevs. 2.35
    Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars
    ODI Lock on's with Intense grips
    Thomson stem
    Chris King headset
    Crank Brothers Joplin w/remote adjustable seat post.
    Salsa quick release on seat and front skewer
    Intense labeled titanium railed gel saddle
    TIME ATAC XC-Titanium / Carbon pedals
    XTR Crankset
    XTR Cassette
    XTR Chain
    XT front derailleur
    Sram XO rear derailler
    Sram XO trigger shifters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man that was Intense.-img051.jpg  

    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  12. #162
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMc View Post
    About two months ago I posted a picture of my Grandaddy Uzzi XC and put a shout out looking for help. I was looking for a Uzzi SL or SLX rear end.

    One member named ROXTAR was so cool. He shipped me the pivot things to use on a SL at no charge. He rides a highly modified Uzzi SL that is Orange. You can see his way cool rig earlier in this thread.

    Then another member named SRALPH offered to sell me his SLX frame for $100 noting that it had a broken chain stay.

    A third member who happened to live nearby named Jay PM'd me saying he had some parts. I drove out to his house and he hooked me up with a chain stay at no charge.

    As it turns out the parts wouldn't go together as there are some small differences between them. The SLX uses BEEFIER bolts and there were a couple other small differences in the frames.

    I decided to strip the paint off the SLX with the broken chain stay. I wanted it to have that mottled RAW look that Intense is used on many of its new rigs. To accomplish this I chose not to use any abrasives at all. I used 4 cans of Duplicolor stripper and a lot of time with the pressure washer.

    I then found a guy here locally who used to weld frames for a living at Titus (Quasimoto) back in the day. He fixed the chain stay and then had it heat treated to return the Alloy to T6. The weld looks beautiful.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130905_182105_resized.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	829881

    This is a picture of the Chain stay that I have.

    God Bless!
    Any updates on that weld holding out.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    9

    The Weld has held up nicely..... Heat Treating is important!!!

    The weld has held up perfectly. I ride some VERY rocky terrain here in Scottsdale Arizona. Sometimes I push it a little too hard and take a tumble every now and then. I believe that this weld will last as longer than I do...LOL

    The guy who repaired it is a professional metal worker who used to work for Titus back when they built bikes here. He has a garage full of equipment where he performed the weld and then sent it to a place to have it Heat-Treated to return it to T6 strength. The Heat-Treating is the key. It's not that hard to weld aluminium, but it becomes very brittal and will fail if it's not heat treated

    If you need have a bike fixed I'd encourage you call him. Adam Barnett 480-620-3156. He lives in Mesa Arizona.

  14. #164
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentMc View Post
    The weld has held up perfectly. I ride some VERY rocky terrain here in Scottsdale Arizona. Sometimes I push it a little too hard and take a tumble every now and then. I believe that this weld will last as longer than I do...LOL

    The guy who repaired it is a professional metal worker who used to work for Titus back when they built bikes here. He has a garage full of equipment where he performed the weld and then sent it to a place to have it Heat-Treated to return it to T6 strength. The Heat-Treating is the key. It's not that hard to weld aluminium, but it becomes very brittal and will fail if it's not heat treated

    If you need have a bike fixed I'd encourage you call him. Adam Barnett 480-620-3156. He lives in Mesa Arizona.
    Great to hear and great info. thanks. I'll keep him in mind if I ever run into that situation.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  15. #165
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  16. #166
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Alright I think 12 years of use it's time to rebuild my pivots. My main pivot seems to have a little slop in it. I went to tighten the bolt and it just spins. As I look through my chain rings on the opposite side it is a threaded bolt without a head on it and it's not spinning. What is going on is the bolt broken. Anybody have experience with the older UZZI-SL pivots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man that was Intense.-image.jpg  

    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Alright I think 12 years of use it's time to rebuild my pivots. My main pivot seems to have a little slop in it. I went to tighten the bolt and it just spins. As I look through my chain rings on the opposite side it is a threaded bolt without a head on it and it's not spinning. What is going on is the bolt broken. Anybody have experience with the older UZZI-SL pivots.
    Yes, the bolt is broken. I was just in Temecula last week and Sam was able to scrounge up a spare for my old Tracer. The Uzzi and Tracer had a similar design but the bolt was thicker on the Uzzi, at least it was on my old SLX. Contact Sam at Intense. The bolts were machined locally for them, I don't think they are an off the shelf hardware item.

  18. #168
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Yes, the bolt is broken. I was just in Temecula last week and Sam was able to scrounge up a spare for my old Tracer. The Uzzi and Tracer had a similar design but the bolt was thicker on the Uzzi, at least it was on my old SLX. Contact Sam at Intense. The bolts were machined locally for them, I don't think they are an off the shelf hardware item.
    Oh thanks just my luck I used to hit Temecula once a week. Now I'm in Colorado.

    So the bolt is broken how do you get it out. Drill it out doesn't sound very exciting.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Oh thanks just my luck I used to hit Temecula once a week. Now I'm in Colorado.

    So the bolt is broken how do you get it out. Drill it out doesn't sound very exciting.
    You need to loosen off the little set screw that keeps it from walking out first. The with an Allen key and plyers you should be able to pull the rest out. Its only threaded on the last bit on the right side, its unthreaded in between. Undo the rear pivot shoulder bolts and you should be able to remove the chainstay section.

    I suspect the threaded bit might be stuck in the threads. You may be able to work that out or may need to drill it out and have the threads chased with a tap set. Mine came out with a bolt extractor and electric drill.

  20. #170
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    You need to loosen off the little set screw that keeps it from walking out first. The with an Allen key and plyers you should be able to pull the rest out. Its only threaded on the last bit on the right side, its unthreaded in between. Undo the rear pivot shoulder bolts and you should be able to remove the chainstay section.

    I suspect the threaded bit might be stuck in the threads. You may be able to work that out or may need to drill it out and have the threads chased with a tap set. Mine came out with a bolt extractor and electric drill.
    Great info. thanks! I'm not at home but hopefully Tonight I'll have a chance to work with it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  21. #171
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    You need to loosen off the little set screw that keeps it from walking out first. The with an Allen key and plyers you should be able to pull the rest out. Its only threaded on the last bit on the right side, its unthreaded in between. Undo the rear pivot shoulder bolts and you should be able to remove the chainstay section.

    I suspect the threaded bit might be stuck in the threads. You may be able to work that out or may need to drill it out and have the threads chased with a tap set. Mine came out with a bolt extractor and electric drill.
    When re-installing is there grease to be added. I haven't got to drill it out yet just curious what's on the inside of the sleeve. Oh and this "little set screw" is that on top of where the Allen head is. I see a little hole there but no screw head inside.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  22. #172
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,307
    Anyone else care to share some old vintage Intense photos / stories / action.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

  23. #173
    Auto-x addict
    Reputation: VpointVick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    279
    I hadn't realized this thread was here when I did my rebuild back in the spring. I posted in the 5.5 thread, but nobody goes in there anymore I guess.

    As it was in '04:


    as it is in '14:
    Name:  883106d1396821359t-5-5-photo-album-ktcn.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  77.8 KB

    New matte metallic blue powdercoat and decals, new pivot bearings, new old Deus crank (which is what I should have put on it back in the day), and a Pushed RP23 instead of the worn out Swinger (it wasn't yet back from Push when I took this photo). I still use my big ring, so couldn't see switching to 2x10, especially since my old X.9/X.0 stuff still functions perfectly.

    Between Maxxis having a single-ply Minion now, the lighter crankset, and the PD-M985 pedals that I've put on since this picture was taken, the bike is down to less than 28lbs vs. the 30 that it once was, and still has the durability for serious backcountry rides.

    I looking for a decent deal on a 140mm Float or TALAS to replace my 125mm one, as I've always wanted to slacken the HT angle a bit, and I'm also looking for maybe some MT8s to replace the HFX-MAG+ that are looking a little shabby.

    I'll probably ride this bike for another 10 years.

  24. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Christ D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    454

    Man that was Intense.

    Awesome !! Nice job !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation: M1_joel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    793
    my first downhill bike.


Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •