Man that was Intense.

Printable View

• 11-02-2012
    Christ D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Good choice in the repaint to original Intense Team Red. I bet I know your bike having lived in San Diego for numerous years. I remember a guy from San Diego with a white older Tracer who posted here back in the day. BTW I am still rocking a 2001' UZZI-SL which is red of course. A photo of which is in the first post of this thread. That is an old photo and all parts have been updated since.

Well , that guy became a good friend and took me on a roadtrip back in 2010 where i got to hammer his other black 2003 Tracer . Love that thing , Intense should do an anniversary edition of the old Tracer !
  • 11-04-2012
    Rojo Grande
    Is it worth it to put a new rear shock on the old Tracer frame and if so which shock works best?

Thanks,

Dan
  • 11-04-2012
    Christ D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rojo Grande' View Post
    Is it worth it to put a new rear shock on the old Tracer frame and if so which shock works best?

Thanks,

Dan

I'm very happy with the Fox Float with pro pedal , bought it new a couple of years ago when the frame was allready 9 years old.
  • 11-04-2012
    Rojo Grande
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ D View Post
    I'm very happy with the Fox Float with pro pedal , bought it new a couple of years ago when the frame was allready 9 years old.

I built mine in 2001 and loved it, but after having our son I quit riding for several years. I know everything has changed but I can't swing a new bike right now. I don't want to be stupid and throw money into something that won't make any real difference. I still love my bike and I'm hoping I can "Freshen it up" a little bit and get a little more time and enjoyable miles out of it.

Thanks,

Dan
  • 11-05-2012
    Christ D
    Quote:

I built mine in 2001 and loved it, but after having our son I quit riding for several years. I know everything has changed but I can't swing a new bike right now. I don't want to be stupid and throw money into something that won't make any real difference. I still love my bike and I'm hoping I can "Freshen it up" a little bit and get a little more time and enjoyable miles out of it.

Thanks,

Dan

I recently freshend mine up with some DT Swiss ,ZTR wheels that were on sale. No way i'm giving up on my Tracer. 12 years allready now. Do it Dan , you wont regret it. It's a great bike despite his age.
  • 11-11-2012
    Rojo Grande
    I found an RP23 for sale and bought it. Can't wait to take delivery and give it a ride.
  • 11-26-2012
    Rojo Grande
    I put the RP23 on and I love it! What a difference, even without switching over to the pro pedal it works much better. Now here's a question..........can you fit 650b/27.5's on the original Tracer frame? I rode my buddies Spesh 29'r for a couple hundred yards and couldn't believe how well it rolled through the river rock. Has anyone tried to put 27.5 on their 2001 Tracer?
  • 11-27-2012
    roxtar
    Quote:

Now here's a question..........can you fit 650b/27.5's on the original Tracer frame? I rode my buddies Spesh 29'r for a couple hundred yards and couldn't believe how well it rolled through the river rock. Has anyone tried to put 27.5 on their 2001 Tracer?

Doubt it.
    My UZZI SL is very tight (1/4" clearance) when running a 26x2.25 Rocket Ron on the rear. A 2.4 rubs.
    Another 3/4" of tire height would never fit.

Pretty sure your Tracer seatstays are the same as the UZZI's.
  • 12-01-2012
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    Doubt it.
    My UZZI SL is very tight (1/4" clearance) when running a 26x2.25 Rocket Ron on the rear. A 2.4 rubs.
    Another 3/4" of tire height would never fit.

Pretty sure your Tracer seatstays are the same as the UZZI's.

I agree there is no way that you would fit a taller wheel. Oh and in case you were wondering about fitting a bigger tire on your UZZI-SL the answer is yes. I run a 26x2.35 Nevegal on my 01' UZZI-SL. And yes the clearance is a tight 1/8" but I have been running that size for several years with no problems. It would definitely let you know if your wheel was out of true.
  • 01-12-2013
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Well it's too freaking cold to ride here at 15. So I'm wasting time on this site and as I sit here I have a complete view of my old UZZI-SL. It brought to mind this thread and how many cool old Intense bikes are still out there. Anybody care to share a photo or two of some older rides. Because "Man that was Intense". :thumbsup:
  • 01-12-2013
    roxtar
    Quote:

Well it's too freaking cold to ride here at 15. So I'm wasting time on this site and as I sit here I have a complete view of my old UZZI-SL. It brought to mind this thread and how many cool old Intense bikes are still out there. Anybody care to share a photo or two of some older rides. Because "Man that was Intense". :thumbsup:

How about an update?
    Here is my '01 Uzzi SL, modified to give 6" F&R travel: http://forums.mtbr.com/9443470-post113.html

And an update:
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...edbuilt002.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...edbuilt003.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...edbuilt004.jpg

Had it stripped down and annodized. A buddy did the die cut stickers.
    Also, swapped in a PUSHed RP23 and am planning to swap the Marz 55 for an X-Fusion Vengeance which will drop it under 30lbs.
    I love this bike. With the 65* headtube angle it descends like a monster and still pedals like an Intense.
    Looking for an Enduro to race this in. I would love to see if I can be competitive on a 12 year old frame.
  • 01-12-2013
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    How about an update?
    Here is my '01 Uzzi SL, modified to give 6" F&R travel: http://forums.mtbr.com/9443470-post113.html

And an update:
    http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...edbuilt002.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...edbuilt003.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...edbuilt004.jpg

Had it stripped down and annodized. A buddy did the die cut stickers.
    Also, swapped in a PUSHed RP23 and am planning to swap the Marz 55 for an X-Fusion Vengeance which will drop it under 30lbs.

I love this bike. With the 65* headtube angle it descends like a monster and still pedals like an Intense.
    Looking for an Enduro to race this in. I would love to see if I can be competitive on a 12 year old frame.

That is sweet, good job! It's the same year as my SL. Did you use an SLX link? You can check mine out in my profile. The SL is a great handling bike in stock form. I'm running FOX Vanilla RLC 125 fork and a FOX Vanilla RC shock. So it's a 5" bike which is enough for me, but I wouldn't mind trying running that extra inch like yours.
  • 01-14-2013
    roxtar
    Quote:

That is sweet, good job! It's the same year as my SL. Did you use an SLX link? You can check mine out in my profile. The SL is a great handling bike in stock form. I'm running FOX Vanilla RLC 125 fork and a FOX Vanilla RC shock. So it's a 5" bike which is enough for me, but I wouldn't mind trying running that extra inch like yours.

Yup, swapped in the SLX links and then changed the shock frame mount to fit the longer shock.
    Here is a link to that change:http://forums.mtbr.com/9443470-post113.html
    This gives me geometry from 64* and 14" BB to 66* and 15.5" BB, depending on which rear shock hole I use.

Love your Uzzi, dropper post is the one thing I plan to add to mine.
  • 01-14-2013
    Rojo Grande
    Frame crack
    So my 2001 Tracer frame is finally cracking at the top of the seat mast. Has anyone found a good fix for this or am I done riding for a few months?
  • 01-15-2013
    bridgestone14
    Well you would have to get it welded. Seems like I saw someone on this site have it done. The last version of the frame was re-enforced in that area.
  • 01-15-2013
    roxtar
    Be somewhat careful with it afterward, though. Welding it will remove the heat treating in that area.
  • 02-06-2013
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

So my 2001 Tracer frame is finally cracking at the top of the seat mast. Has anyone found a good fix for this or am I done riding for a few months?

Rojo, what's the update with your Tracer. Did you have it welded?
  • 02-21-2013
    Rojo Grande
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Rojo, what's the update with your Tracer. Did you have it welded?

Nope, I bought a new to me used 2010 Tracer VPP. I'm not sure if I want to have the old bike welded before I try to sell it or let the buyer see what is cracking and let them make their own decision? I love my new VPP though!
  • 02-22-2013
    Cubo
    I replaced the Vanilla R on my Uzzi SL and gave an RP2 a try but didn't find the right pressure yet. I'm now at ≈17bar (240-250psi) weighting 90kg (≈200lbs) at moment and sag is still over 30% (≈0.45").:confused:
    On the other bike I run a RP23 with more travel (7.875 x 2.00) at 12bar (≈175psi).
    I was told by a suspension guy that depending of frame geo the pressure can vary a lot...
    Does anybody has the the same experience?
  • 02-22-2013
    roxtar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubo View Post
    I replaced the Vanilla R on my Uzzi SL and gave an RP2 a try but didn't find the right pressure yet. I'm now at ≈17bar (240-250psi) weighting 90kg (≈200lbs) at moment and sag is still over 30% (≈0.45").:confused:
    On the other bike I run a RP23 with more travel (7.875 x 2.00) at 12bar (≈175psi).
    I was told by a suspension guy that depending of frame geo the pressure can vary a lot...
    Does anybody has the the same experience?

Many things determine the amount of pressure needed in a shock. The leverage ratio of the suspension design is the biggest but there are many others.
    I went to a 160mm travel fork on my SL which slackened my head angle. This put more weight bias toward the rear, changing the air pressure. I changed to longer shock links and it had a huge effect on the air pressure. A switch to the high volume air can in my RP23 made another big change.
    That's why it's impossible to accurately say how much pressure is needed when changing anything, frame-wise.
    It's also why shock tuning is far more art than science.
  • 02-22-2013
    Cubo
    I'm wondering if the pressure close to the upper limit, can affect shock's performance.

I agree with the 160mm travel fork experience; I bought my Uzzi an 130mm DT Swiss XMM fork and now I feel that 120mm could have been the better solution...
  • 02-26-2013
    RIDE-ON
    1 Attachment(s)
    This Uzzi Sl still loves to shred :thumbsup:
  • 02-26-2013
    roxtar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubo View Post
    I'm wondering if the pressure close to the upper limit, can affect shock's performance.

I agree with the 160mm travel fork experience; I bought my Uzzi an 130mm DT Swiss XMM fork and now I feel that 120mm could have been the better solution...

When I say it slackened the head angle I wasn't complaining. It was a great change that gave it a far more modern feel to the handling. Couple that to the longer rear shock links, longer travel rear shock, and changing the upper shock mount location (bringing the BB back to an acceptable height) and it's now a true 5"+ travel AM beast at just a hair under 30lbs.
  • 04-07-2013
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RIDE-ON View Post
    This Uzzi Sl still loves to shred :thumbsup:

Nice photo of the "bike" ;)
    That frame is a 2002' the last year for the UZZI-SL. Same ride as mine and still shredding.
  • 06-01-2013
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Any more older Intense rides out there?