Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Here's a very bad photo. The weld is cracked all around. I had noticed a creaking but it seems to have totally let go when I dropped off a curb. This frame gave me many years of faithful service, so I ain't mad...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pomocanthus View Post
    Can anyone comment, from experience, how these old Horst links compare to VPP and DW Link.
    My well modified UZZI SL (SLX shock linkage and upper shock mount moved up an inch to accommodate a 7x2 Swinger Air shock) is still my AM bike of choice for daily riding. My XC race bike is a Fisher HiFi. Both are Horst Link bikes. I've ridden VPPs (no DWs) and would say that they do climb marginally better but in every other area, the Horst Link bikes still work as well and in some areas, even better.
    However, because the VPPs do climb so well, they can go with more travel and still pedal well.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Uzzi sl / 5.5

This is my Uzzi sl and 5.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man that was Intense.-bike2.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-bike4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
    This is my Uzzi sl and 5.5
    That would make you the guy to ask about the differences.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The 5.5 is overall a better bike in my opinion. The Uzzi sl is super plush on the small bumps but bottoms easily on the big hits. The 5.5 is not as plush on the small bumps but resists bottoming more. The 5.5 also wins hand down in the pedaling efficiency.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
    The 5.5 is overall a better bike in my opinion. The Uzzi sl is super plush on the small bumps but bottoms easily on the big hits. The 5.5 is not as plush on the small bumps but resists bottoming more. The 5.5 also wins hand down in the pedaling efficiency.
    That's what I felt, but I wouldn't go so far as, "wins hands down".

Also, the bottoming out thing is shock setup. The fact that your sl bottoms out means the rear is set a little too soft. This would also negatively affect your pedaling efficiency.
    I think if you worked on a little suspension tuning you'd be surprised how close your sl can get to your VPP. Maybe not AS good, but closer than you think.
    One more thing, switching to a rear platform air shock would be a huge eye opener. The sl works really well with these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice rides Brendan. I've had my 5.5 since 07 and am thinking of trying out a T29er or a TB. Not many active threads on 29ers for Intense. Is that a sign?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by roxtar View Post
    That's what I felt, but I wouldn't go so far as, "wins hands down".

Also, the bottoming out thing is shock setup. The fact that your sl bottoms out means the rear is set a little too soft. This would also negatively affect your pedaling efficiency.
    I think if you worked on a little suspension tuning you'd be surprised how close your sl can get to your VPP. Maybe not AS good, but closer than you think.
    One more thing, switching to a rear platform air shock would be a huge eye opener. The sl works really well with these.
    Well I'm 205lbs and I don't recall ever bottoming out my SL. I run the stock FOX Vanilla RC coil. I'm sure after all these years both of my shock and fork could use an overhaul. But never a problem with bottoming out. FOX Vanilla RLC 125mm up front.

So roxstar what platform air shock have you tried on an SL?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I've been using a Manitou Swinger 3way Air but just swapped in a FoxRP23.
    Was happy with the Swinger but figured I'd give the Fox a try.

I've changed a few things on my SL, though. I went to an SLX shock linkage and then welded in new front shock mounts about an inch forward of the stock mount. This allowed me to use a 7.5x2 shock with the slx linkage without getting a crazy high BB. Mating a Marzocchi 55ATA160 fork to it gives me a nice 6" travel AM bike with a 15"BB and 67* head angle.
    Even with a bomber wheelset and big Schwalbe 2.4s it comes in at 31lbs

And it still pedals like an SL.

Ohne Jangschalltung

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=nordstadt;9311262]
    Great shot! What setting on the camera gives you that result?

Anybody else have an older INTENSE still in use? Care to share?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Ohne Jangschalltung
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE,;9438365]
    Quote Originally Posted by nordstadt View Post
    Great shot! What setting on the camera gives you that result?
    Photoshop...

mtbr member

My daily rider; UZzziSL on steroids

Quote Originally Posted by nordstadt View Post
    I have a FR bike and an XC race rig but my '01ish Uzzi SL is my primary (AM) ride:

I moved the upper shock mount 1" forward to allow me to fit a 7.75"x 2.25" Fox RL and then swapped in SLX shock links. With the 160mm Marzocchi 55 ATA, it's got 6" of F&R travel, a 69* head angle, a manageable 15.5" BB height, and weighs in just under 30lbs.
    Hadleys tied to WTB Frequency i23 rims with Schwalbe 2.4 RaRas
    Handles like, well, like an Uzzi.

Last edited by roxtar; 06-25-2012 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's my recently finished Tazer. Rescued from the dead and turned into ex-team/prototype inspired play-bike. Huge fun to ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man that was Intense.-tazer2.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-tazer7.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-tazer1.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-tazer5.jpg  

mtbr member
    nice.

Front Range, Colorado
    So how much travel in that configuration?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My well modified UZZI SL (SLX shock linkage and upper shock mount moved up an inch to accommodate a 7x2 Swinger Air shock) is still my AM bike of choice for daily riding. My XC race bike is a Fisher HiFi. Both are Horst Link bikes. I've ridden VPPs (no DWs) and would say that they do climb marginally better but in every other area, the Horst Link bikes still work as well and in some areas, even better.
    However, because the VPPs do climb so well, they can go with more travel and still pedal well.
    I finally finish putting together the old Tracer. She looks great but rides terrible (there's a sexist joke in there somewhere). On high gear ratio, she rides OK but even on a slight incline and I am hammering away on lower gears I feel like I'm on a pogo stick. A couple of times after hitting modest bumps at moderate speed, I just about bounced off the bike. My Giant NRS and even my "faux" bar Kona rides MUCH better than this. Is this to be expected from an old bike or should I invest in Fox propedal offerings?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Man that was Intense.-photo-1-.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-photo-2-.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-photo-5-.jpg  

Man that was Intense.-photo-6-.jpg  

Last edited by pomocanthus; 08-15-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add pics

mtbr member
    My well modified UZZI SL (SLX shock linkage and upper shock mount moved up an inch to accommodate a 7.5x2 Swinger Air shock) is still my AM bike of choice for daily riding. My XC race bike is a Fisher HiFi. Both are Horst Link bikes. I've ridden VPPs (no DWs) and would say that they do climb marginally better but in every other area, the Horst Link bikes still work as well and in some areas, even better.
    I finally finish putting together the old Tracer. She looks great but rides terrible (there's a sexist joke in there somewhere). On high gear ratio, she rides OK but even on a slight incline and I am hammering away on lower gears I feel like I'm on a pogo stick. A couple of times after hitting modest bumps at moderate speed, I just about bounced off the bike. My Giant NRS and even my "faux" bar Kona rides MUCH better than this. Is this to be expected from an old bike or should I invest in Fox propedal offerings?
    You'd be amazed at what a good platform shock will do.
    I just swapped the Swinger for an RP23 and it's even better.

I also just got the frame back from anodizing:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You'd be amazed at what a good platform shock will do.
    I just swapped the Swinger for an RP23 and it's even better.

I also just got the frame back from anodizing:
    That orange anodize is great! Mind if I ask what it cost you? Did you sand blast frame yourself or had it done? That's a lot of prep work but I'm sure it's worth it. It looks amazing!

Front Range, Colorado
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    That orange anodize is great! Mind if I ask what it cost you? Did you sand blast frame yourself or had it done? That's a lot of prep work but I'm sure it's worth it. It looks amazing!
    Thanks, it was really simple. For $150 just send them the frame (It can have NO steel attached to it. Remove any steel bushings, races, whatever) and they strip all paint, powdercoat, or old anodize off it and anodize it.

McNicholsAnodizing.com

They do a great job.

mtbr member
    My 2000 model , still rocks !!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ D View Post
    My 2000 model , still rocks !!

Nice ride Christ D, Back in 2000' I was just entering the game. I narrowed the field down to 2 bikes. I was torn between the Intense Tracer in red exactly like yours or the top of the line GT an XCR-LE. I ended up withe the LE. I loved that bike it handled like a dream and with disc brakes which were in the infancy stage at the time weighed in at 26.5 lbs.

Well I ended up cracking 2 of those frames in a year and a half time. GT warranted the first frame. But the second one I was SOL due to GT claiming bankruptcy. My bike shop stepped up and offered up a good size discount towards any other brand they carried. So I was then again looking at Intense. I was torn between the Tracer and the Uzzi-SL and the Uzzi-SLX. Having just went through hell cracking 2 lightweight. XC frames I leaned away from the Tracer. I ended up choosing the middle of the road. Not the lightweight Tracer or the burly SLX but rather I chose the Uzzi-SL in red of course.Guess what I have been on my 2001' Uzzi-SL since 2002' And she's still RockN. Love old Intense.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Nice ride Christ D
    Thanks !! I still hammer that thing , no issues so far. I bought the frame a couple of years ago from a guy in San Diego. Was a white and had it repainted in red wich was my favorite colour for the older Intense Tracer's. I really love , tho' it's getting old.

Intense should do a special edition of the old Tracer .

Front Range, Colorado
    Good choice in the repaint to original Intense Team Red. I bet I know your bike having lived in San Diego for numerous years. I remember a guy from San Diego with a white older Tracer who posted here back in the day. BTW I am still rocking a 2001' UZZI-SL which is red of course. A photo of which is in the first post of this thread. That is an old photo and all parts have been updated since.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast