mtbr member
    Apr 2009

M6/Bearing question.

Guys, I have a bearing related question about my M6 frame. I took the entire thing apart, linkage and everything to clean it and inspect for cracks and things I need to replace etc etc. Putting the linkage back together, I noticed that on the top triangle, when I put the linkage on and attach the bearings using the bolts, when I tigthen the bolts down and toggle the suspension (without shock or hooked to lower linkage) its very notchy. however the bearings spin freely without being bolted down. I remeber this happening last season but it felt fine once the shock was all hooked up. Is this normal? I know I have the proper spacers in place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The bearings are probably corroded and etched. They snug into place when under the proper torque, so they will feel different. New bearings will take care of that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for the reply man.
    I repacked the bearings with fresh grease and they roll smooth as ever. I took a closer look and it seems that the mounts are had an uneven surface on the frame.
    I took a light sand paper to the washer and the frame surface mount and when I torqued it down it was still etchy, but when I connected all the linkage together and tourqued everything down minus the shock it seems to cycle smoother then ever. Almost as if hooking up the swing arm moved it into position or something. Strange.