Thread: Lyric or Fox 36

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lyric or Fox 36

which fork for the Tracer?

please Fox, make a talas that is 160/140/120 asap...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd like to see a 180-160-140 myself (not for the tracer, though).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fatwheeled.

I currently have a Tracer VP with an 09 Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5. My 6.6 has a Lyrik 2 step and also had a 36 Talas RC2 back when it was only 150mm. I also had another 150mm 36 Talas on my old Moment. Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't think a 20mm step really does that much and slamming it down to 100mm is great for climbing. I am glad it is 160, 130, 100mm. This is purely personal preference and you probably don't care about my thoughts on this.

2. The Lyrik and 36 are both great forks. I prefered the two step Lyrik to the 36 Talas until I tried my 09 Talas. The older Talas forks that I rode felt harsh too me and I never seemed to use all of the travel. I am not great at explaining the technical aspects of this like others on here but it did not feel anywhere near as as good as my two step Lyrik on the compression or rebound. The Lyrik was butter, very controlled, and easy to setup. I absolutely loved it. Then I got the 09 Talas. The 09 Talas feels as good as my Lyrik two step but comes in a meaningful amount lighter and feels a bit stiffer. I am not sure what Fox has done to the 36 between the two iterations I have owned but they definitely improved it. The short of it is, I think on feel (compression/rebound/smoothness) it is a tie. As far as weight and stiffness, the 36 has an advantage. I have also heard of people having reliability issues with the Lyrik so I might give an edge to the fox here as well. That said, I have never had an issue with mine.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Talas. As long as it is the 2009 model. Fox made significant upgrades in 2009. My brother has one, and I like it much better than my Lyrik.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Talas. As long as it is the 2009 model. Fox made significant upgrades in 2009. My brother has one, and I like it much better than my Lyrik.
    which lyrik do you have? the lyrick coil i owned was amazing...i woudl not get a lyrik air

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    which lyrik do you have? the lyrick coil i owned was amazing...i woudl not get a lyrik air
    I have a '08/09 Lyrik U-Turn. I can't seem to get it dialed in. I am using a soft spring, despite my riding weight of 190lb. Medium spring seems stiff, and I can't get full travel with it. I tried all kinds of LSC/HSC settings, and can't it to work properly. I finally changed the oil to a 5wt Amsoil Synthetic. We'll see how that works. I have a post on it on the Suspension forum to get advice, and others have similar problems.

Lyrik Coil U-Turn Tuning: Please Help! Suggestions?

If you have suggestions for tuning it, let me know.

My Totem Coil was a breeze to set up in comparison. I needed the firm spring on the Totem. The only thing I can think of is that Lyrik spring wasn't designed properly, other than a damper that doesn't work well. Totem spring is shaped like a cylinder, while Lyrik spring is irregular, like a cigar. Don't know if that makes a big difference.

Fox 36 Talas 2009 model is a great product. I used to have a 2005 Talas, and '09 model fixed lot of past Talas issues. It feels a lot better than my fork, and changing travel is a cinch. It is also 0.7 lb lighter. Should have gotten that instead.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    I have a '08/09 Lyrik U-Turn. I can't seem to get it dialed in. I am using a soft spring, despite my riding weight of 190lb. Medium spring seems stiff, and I can't get full travel with it. I tried all kinds of LSC/HSC settings, and can't it to work properly. I finally changed the oil to a 5wt Amsoil Synthetic. We'll see how that works. I have a post on it on the Suspension forum to get advice, and others have similar problems.

Lyrik Coil U-Turn Tuning: Please Help! Suggestions?

If you have suggestions for tuning it, let me know.

My Totem Coil was a breeze to set up in comparison. I needed the firm spring on the Totem. The only thing I can think of is that Lyrik spring wasn't designed properly, other than a damper that doesn't work well. Totem spring is shaped like a cylinder, while Lyrik spring is irregular, like a cigar. Don't know if that makes a big difference.

Fox Talas 2009 model is a great product. It feels a lot better than my fork, and changing travel is a cinch. It is also 0.7 lb lighter. Should have gotten that instead.
    thats a shame and while i am FAR from an expert, I cant imagine that the "soft" spring is appropriate in your Lyrik at all given your weight (i am 175 and ran medium/stock). I had perfect luck with the Lyrik and LOVED it and loved it even more than the 66 ATA it replaced...and LOVE my Totem even more I have to say

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i, thanks for the advice...i guess my concern is that the tracer has 140 and 152mm of rear travel...i want to use it for all round use and i think running a fox 36 talas at mainly 130mm is going to be too short for most of what i do, but 160mm will be too much for the majority of my ride time...how quick is it to change between the settings? can it be done whilst in motion or do you have to stop? maybe i'm splitting hairs, but my current setup is a yeti asr-sl with reba team u turn - i have it on 115mm constantly, but it isn't enough travel for most of my ride time as i ride over rocky terrain...25mm extra to 140mm is perfect and boosts my confidence, but is 15mm extra to only 130mm going to be enough to make the majority of my ride time more enjoyable and more confidence inspiring? i could only imagine going 160mm if it was proper knarly descents and that would involve flicking the rear to 152mm as well...in an ideal world i'd have a 140mm setup front and rear and have a spare 160mm fork to plug in when i go to bigger stuff, but that is such a faff to have two forks, as well as expensive...

maybe i should go for a 140mm Pike?

mtbr member
    A Pike at 140 has an axle to crown of 518mm
    Talas at 130 should have an axle to crown of 525.

So the Talas would be approx 7mm taller plus you would have the 160 option if you think you'll want it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    but not the extra 10mm of travel, less sag...

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thats a shame and while i am FAR from an expert, I cant imagine that the "soft" spring is appropriate in your Lyrik at all given your weight (i am 175 and ran medium/stock). I had perfect luck with the Lyrik and LOVED it and loved it even more than the 66 ATA it replaced...and LOVE my Totem even more I have to say
    I agree with Fo. I have both Lyrik and Totem and love them! I weigh 130# and use soft coil springs on both. As Fo said, the Totem performs better in the rough than the Lyrik but both are very good forks.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW

So the Talas would be approx 7mm taller plus you would have the 160 option if you think you'll want it.
    Actually it's 515mm at 130mm of travel (545mm at 160mm). Essentially identical to the Pike. If it was a 160-140-120, the 140mm would be pretty tall for a bike that calls for a 140mm fork (typically 515mm a2c). As a term of comparison it would be 15mm taller than the Fox Float 32 140mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Actually it's 515mm at 130mm of travel (545mm at 160mm). Essentially identical to the Pike. If it was a 160-140-120, the 140mm would be pretty tall for a bike that calls for a 140mm fork (typically 515mm a2c). As a term of comparison it would be 15mm taller than the Fox Float 32 140mm.

My bad...stupid math

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW

Actually, I swapped my 08 Talas 36's to a Pike before Christmas.. The ACTUAL mesurements I took of the Talas at 130mm before I changed was 518mm... The same as the Pike.. suprising but true.

One life, One boss

Lyric Coil?

I've posted a thread before on a fork selection for this frame, and I am in the same ball park still. My frame shows up next week, and I haven't decided on either an 08 Fox 36RC2 or a Lyric Coil.

Right now I ride on a Coil Revelation, and it reminds me of the old marzocchi's in the late
    90's early 2000's. I freaken love it.

Anyone dare throw a Coil Lyric on or have an option on that vs. the Fox 36?

I really like the abilty of having an option of travel adjustment on the coil vs. the two step. The type of riding I do really calls to be able to ride it at 140 and not just the 115 or 160 like the two-step.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheeled
    i, thanks for the advice...i guess my concern is that the tracer has 140 and 152mm of rear travel...i want to use it for all round use and i think running a fox 36 talas at mainly 130mm is going to be too short for most of what i do, but 160mm will be too much for the majority of my ride time.
    First of all, I think the TALAS is a good match for the Tracer.

..how quick is it to change between the settings? can it be done whilst in motion or do you have to stop?
    Literally a flick of a switch on the top of fork. If things aren't too rough you can even do it while in motion.

..but is 15mm extra to only 130mm going to be enough to make the majority of my ride time more enjoyable and more confidence inspiring? i could only imagine going 160mm if it was proper knarly descents and that would involve flicking the rear to 152mm as well.
    To me the 130mm setting felt great for climbing and railing corners in the smoother stuff. even with the rear set in the 6' inch mode. It should feel perfect in the 5.5" mode.

No, you can't "flick" the rear travel back and forth between 5.5" and 6". It takes changing the position of the shock mounting bolt.

Take a deep breath. Get the Talas.

banned
    It doesn't get noted enough that if you need to go from a lower travel to a higher travel setting on the 36 TALAS, you're not really going to be able to do it on the fly. It's not like the ETA where the fork springs back. There isn't enough rebunding force to do this. Typically, you either have to pop multiple wheelies, dismount, or dismount then life the front end to extend it fully.