Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ride

Lookey here, Cool new addition to Carbine that everyone's been waiting for!

That's right, ISCG baby!!
    Lookey here, Cool new addition to Carbine that everyone's been waiting for!-p1010938.jpg

We just got this medium in and built up for a customer. Had no idea of the changes to the frame until we had it in hand. Notice anything else in the first pic?

Medium Carbine 27.5 with an MRP mini G2 1x10 setup. Sweet!
    Lookey here, Cool new addition to Carbine that everyone's been waiting for!-p1010945.jpgLookey here, Cool new addition to Carbine that everyone's been waiting for!-p1010947.jpg
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Dude, got any schwag?
    Sram front derailleur compatibility! And Stealth routing!

SO COOL!
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 03-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Awsome

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Do Iscg mounts really matter anymore with clutch derailleurs for AM/Trail bikes? I have the Carbine 27.5 conversion with Xtr Shadow Plus I tried damn hard to force a droped chain,no can do! guess Intense submitted to the gotta really have Iscg mounts even against all logic and field proven not to be an issue!

ride
    Clutch derailleurs definitely have their place. One thing I really like about this setup is the taco underneath the bb, which you cannot mount without ISCG tabs. The lower linkage and rear triangle on my Carbine has seen a lot of abuse from rocks - this taco can help prevent that.

Edit -- in our 'hood, we have more than a few folks that have tried, unsuccessfully to run a 1x setup with only a clutch der and no chainkeeper. Most end up wanting some sort of chain retention device on the crank as well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I admit to being apprehensive at first myself about lack of Iscg but really wanted the Carbine for Enduros,also really need a bash guard here in Eastern Pa and was at first stuck on 1x10 but got me thinking about gearing options for Enduros since the DH stages are timed you certainly want a big enough ring to keep momentum with as little spin out as possible on some possible slight inclines without gearing yourself out on the way to the stages.so I went with a 38t big and 30t small with bash guard,I believe I have found gearing bliss and the really interesting part is that I find myself staying in the 38t for 90 plus percent of the time and find it to be more efficient with less effort then the 32t on my Ibis and really has improved my spin and strength!
    Last edited by techfersure; 03-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    I'm one of the people who have been unsuccessful at running 1x10 without a guide in front with an XT shadow+. Ended up just putting an XT front derailleur with no shifter as it's cheaper than any of the top mount guide options. I wish I'd have gotten a frame with ISCG mounts

ride
    Check the Bionicon C-Guide. It's a pretty cool chain tensioner that mounts on the chainstay. Specialized has one, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Do Iscg mounts really matter anymore with clutch derailleurs for AM/Trail bikes? I have the Carbine 27.5 conversion with Xtr Shadow Plus I tried damn hard to force a droped chain,no can do! guess Intense submitted to the gotta really have Iscg mounts even against all logic and field proven not to be an issue!
    I think so. I have a carbine sl i use in super d races and i drop chain every now and then....and this is with an mrp 1x and a sram type 2 derailleur. Oh, im 1x10 btw.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Check the Bionicon C-Guide. It's a pretty cool chain tensioner that mounts on the chainstay. Specialized has one, too.
    Im thinking about adding this next...hopefully that eliminates all dropping.

74 & 29 pilot
    It doesn't work well with the Carbine chain stay shape. I tried it for a while with a 2x10 using 24/38 rings and an 11-36 cassette. The chain is too close to the stay, so you have to position the guide too far back which also moves it toward the wheel. I got WAY TOO MUCH added friction on the chain do to it rubbing the top in certain gears and the thing be twisted in others. Not worth the money, IMO. I've had no problems keeping the chain on with XTR, XT and ZEE shadow plus RDs in the constantly rough AZ terrain. YMMV.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    It doesn't work well with the Carbine chain stay shape. I tried it for a while with a 2x10 using 24/38 rings and an 11-36 cassette. The chain is too close to the stay, so you have to position the guide too far back which also moves it toward the wheel. I got WAY TOO MUCH added friction on the chain do to it rubbing the top in certain gears and the thing be twisted in others. Not worth the money, IMO. I've had no problems keeping the chain on with XTR, XT and ZEE shadow plus RDs. YMMV.
    Good to know...i was wondering how it would work with the chain so close to the stay. Sigh....xx1 i guess.

mtbr member
    For those of you running 1x10 you can run the XX1 cranks and ring with Shimano 10 spd. It works really, really well. I have one buddy running it on 9 spd with NO clutch, just a Saint short cage RD. We ride some really really rough stuff that used to knock my chain off all the time.

mtbr member

Not a bad idea...xx1 crankset itself is pretty reasonable. I noticed they even sell xx1 rings in 76 bcd.

mtbr member
    I just got mine as a complete, I noticed them but did not really think anything of it. Also trying to figure out what that is on the down tube by the bottle cage mount, for a stealth reverb??

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by batts65 View Post
    I just got mine as a complete, I noticed them but did not really think anything of it. Also trying to figure out what that is on the down tube by the bottle cage mount, for a stealth reverb??
    correct

ReeFride
    +1 Running 10 spd 9-36 Canfield micro drive with XX-1 28t Crankset on the Tracer 275

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    I thought the bionicon was essentially doing the same job as the clutch, which is why I hadn't considered it. I think the chain is being throw inside during compression; my chain is the right length. I am thinking about going to the XX1 crankset, but because of the pressfit BB and lack of tools, I really don't want to spend the time or money to switch the shimano bb out. There's no real weight difference between the xx1 and the xtr I have set up as 1x and I can run a bash. I'm hoping that these new chainrings in development (wolf, mrp, e13, etc) that have a similar tooth profile to the XX1 will be out soon and negate the need for an xx1 crankset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well... actually I have the same set up(Carbine 27.5 conversion with XTR Shadow Plus) and I have managed to throw my chain twice (first one was pretty ugly with deep scratches) The clutch seems adjusted properly-maybe I'll play around with it. Nonehteless I would like to know what guides others have found or modified to use on their Carbines.
    2 x 10 38-26

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    There are no real options for 2x guides if you don't have the latest frame revision with iscg tabs. For 1x, you have 3 options in place of the direct mount FD: Paul, E13 XCX, MRP 1x. With a 2x set up and clutch, I can't imagine ever losing the chain; the FD acts as a pretty decent chain keeper, but if you have, you have. A guy on pinkbike had done a custom job for 1x with the roller you can see here. I suppose it's possible to do something similar with 2x in mind....

mtbr member
    I threw my chain quite a bit with the 10 spd XTR, usually at the most inopportune moments like the first corner of an Enduro race run. Because of the issues I went to 1x with an e13 guide which was awesome. The one thing I did not like was the lack of topend speed going down from a 28/40 setup to 1x with a 36T up front. Decided to make the jump to XX1 and it has been awesome. No guide, plenty of topend with a 38-10T setup, and no dropped chains (knock on wood!). I do know of a few people running the XX1 cranks/rings with Shimano, one of them even on 9 spd and no clutch. The guys running on clutch systems are going strong and no issues. 9 spd/no clutch has had a few dropped chains, but not many.

Bottom line, XX1 rings work with a lot more than just a full XX1 setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    about time!

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Bottom line, XX1 rings work with a lot more than just a full XX1 setup.
    This sounds promising: wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dbillings View Post
    Well... actually I have the same set up(Carbine 27.5 conversion with XTR Shadow Plus) and I have managed to throw my chain twice (first one was pretty ugly with deep scratches) The clutch seems adjusted properly-maybe I'll play around with it. Nonehteless I would like to know what guides others have found or modified to use on their Carbines.
    2 x 10 38-26
    I too use the Xtr shadow plus with XT triple set up 38-30 with Mrp bashgard,so far no dropped chains and have been pretty aggressive to test just how secure it is.am very happy with results.

Lord of the Chainrings
    That's right, ISCG baby!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010938.JPG 
Views:	1996 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	778422

We just got this medium in and built up for a customer. Had no idea of the changes to the frame until we had it in hand. Notice anything else in the first pic?

Medium Carbine 27.5 with an MRP mini G2 1x10 setup. Sweet!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010945.JPG 
Views:	710 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	778423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010947.JPG 
Views:	757 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	778424
    Nice!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast