NOT Team Sanchez

A little Q and A on the Uzzi VPX

Hey Intense OG's, I'm looking into buying an 07 Uzzi VPX, the questions I have are
    #1- I'm 5,11 the sizing seems weird, I usually ride a size Large but the L size for this frame seems almost like a L-XL (my L El Guapo is kind of geo'd like this too)? What size would you recommend?
    #2- I've read some reviews about the quality of the frame having some alignment issues?
    #3- Bearings, are they trouble, heard they were?
    #4- Is the rear end flexy, also heard this?
    #5- I'm currently on a Titus El Guapo (horst link) just curious to know a few characteristics of the vpx's vpp susp?

Having said all that I've always wanted an Intense, they just look like the right tool for the job when it comes to anything dh/fr oriented..........plus I love trying new bikes

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry my questions are pesky, and definitely not meant to offend anyone
    Last edited by wasea04; 01-10-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    I like bikes.

Commit or eat sh!t
    1. I am 5-10 and used Medium. Frames tend to run kind of big.
    2. None that I have seen in the 3 Uzzi's I rode.
    3. Same as any other Intense bikes.
    4. Kind of, but doesn't impact the ride IMO.
    5. Do searches. Lots written about VPP vs. other suspension designs.

If I were you I would wait until the new Uzzi's come out, which addresses many of the VPX's shortcomings.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks for the quick response, I've heard a ton about the 09's from my buddies who went to interbike (I was stuck in class), the thing is I've got an 07 lined up for a great deal, is it worth it to buy it, I'm an AM rider who leans towards FR and DH, I want a bike that'll give me a confidence boost as I'm constantly trying to improve my game, eight inches sounds great on the Uzzi because it's said to maintain climbing ability.........hence this inquiry.
    I like bikes.

Recovering
    The current Uzzi VPX is a badass bike. The new Uzzi VP will be even more badass, but if you've got a great deal lined up on the older one, then go for it. If you are a decent all-mountain rider, you will find that the Uzzi brings your game to a whole new level.

The bike climbs way better than any 7.75" travel bike should. I took mine out last week for some all-mountain riding in snowy conditions, and was climbing stuff that guys on 4-5" bikes were walking.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm 6', and if you want to pedal, def. go for a large frame. It is a compact frame. ett shortens even more with a longer fork and the new slacker dropouts if you choose to use them.

Alignment and bearings aren't an issue with the vpx

The rear end is flexy, but not in a way that greatly effects the lateral stiffness of the bike. With a 12mm axle, it won't be an issue at all

The rearward axlepath of the vpx is an asset on square edge hits, and the pedaling forces keep the bike from sagging too much climbing. There is pedal feedback in the granny ring that the guapo does not have. If you ride clipless you might not notice, but climbing on platforms can bounce your feet off the pedals sometimes... this completely disappears in the middle ring, so going dh its a non-issue. Overall, the sus performance is very good.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Evlkneevljr

+1 to that!

He hit the nail on the head on those points. I'm 6' 2" and the large is actuall a little smaller than I'm used to because of the geo. It climbs wonderfully! right now, I have mine apart to clean it up and I've been using my 05' Stumpy. I can barely climb stuff on my Stumpy, which is SUPPOSED to be an XC bike and clear it with ease on my 7lb heavier Uzzi!!

I don't mind carrying the extra weight; once you get used to it, there's no turning back! Awesome bike!
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Hey Intense OG's, I'm looking into buying an 07 Uzzi VPX, the questions I have are
    #1- I'm 5,11 the sizing seems weird, I usually ride a size Large but the L size for this frame seems almost like a L-XL (my L El Guapo is kind of geo'd like this too)? What size would you recommend?
    #2- I've read some reviews about the quality of the frame having some alignment issues?
    #3- Bearings, are they trouble, heard they were?
    #4- Is the rear end flexy, also heard this?
    #5- I'm currently on a Titus El Guapo (horst link) just curious to know a few characteristics of the vpx's vpp susp?

Having said all that I've always wanted an Intense, they just look like the right tool for the job when it comes to anything dh/fr oriented..........plus I love trying new bikes

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry my questions are pesky, and definitely not meant to offend anyone

I'm 6', and ride a medium, (180 sc ). I believe the ''Slacker'' d/o's will make it perfect ( I'm waiting for the 135,s)
    The VPX is in my opinion the best FR bike ever made.
    Also maybe the strongest. We've never had one break, and the rear is'nt flexy.
    The faster you go, the safer it feels.
    Picking a line is an option. The bike makes you a better rider.
    My 2 cents.
    RTW.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks immensely for the advice........I'm leaning towards the M because I want to be able to run a Gravity Dropper and the ST is considerably better suited (17.75 as opposed to 20.5) on that size for the a GD.

RTW, so do you work for Intense then? If so, right on brotha!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    I'm 6', and ride a medium, (180 sc ). I believe the ''Slacker'' d/o's will make it perfect ( I'm waiting for the 135,s)
    Rick, tell Intense CNC he should hurry up, I am getting really impatient waiting for the 135's!

The VPX is in my opinion the best FR bike ever made.
    Also maybe the strongest. We've never had one break, and the rear is'nt flexy.
    The faster you go, the safer it feels.
    Picking a line is an option. The bike makes you a better rider.
    My 2 cents.
    RTW.
    ^ This man speaks truth! The new Uzzi has some big shoes to fill but I am confident it can do that.

According the rear end flex: you feel it when you grab the rear wheel an saddle but while riding it is barely noticeable.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=iRider]Rick, tell Intense CNC he should hurry up, I am getting really impatient waiting for the 135's!

I hear ya !
    I know Vinny is waiting to hear back from Kidwoo, and the final stuff on the drawing for the 135's, I know the 135 is a little tricky due to some clearance issues, but I can guarentee they will work and be very sweet.
    He machines like I weld.............

RTW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    He machines like I weld.............

RTW.
    bottle of tequila in one hand, humming along to youtube music videos?

mtbr member
    The old UZZI VPX is a great bike. It'll definitely be a step up for the stunts you guys pull compared to the El Guapo and will be a better match for your 66 fork. For rough, droppy downhill the VP suspension feels very plush and bottomless (even on my 6.75" travel 6.6). It climbs really well with little or no bob but will lock out a bit on square edge step ups and rocky, loose climbs due to the pedal kick-back in the granny gear.

What is the ett length for the large on the old UZZI? My 6.6 was 23.8" and even with a 90mm stem it feels a bit more cramped than my large Delirium T. Having said that I also got a 4 hour demo ride on a medium 6.6 before I bought mine and it felt pretty good too (with a 100mm stem and set back seat post). I'm 5' 11.5" btw and thought the Large El Guapo felt perfect when I rode it.

If you grab the top of the rear wheel and push-pull back and forth side to side it will move more than you might expect. Like others have said, I only rarely was aware of this while on the trail though.... and I suspect the UZZI is stiffer than the 6.6....though it was there on the SOCOM we rode at I-bike in '07 too.

Like I said when we were chatting about this down in St. George, I like the way the HL four-bar link works a bit better than the older version VPP.... but the VPP does work really well and there's some things I like better about it.

If you've got the cash and the patience the '09 UZZI looks like it's going to be an amazing bike..... but if you've got a super good deal on a v.1 UZZI lined up and are curious to see how the VPP works and are needing something a bit more "GO BIG" than your E.G..... then go for it.

No, that's not phonetic
    I've got an 07 lined up for a great deal
    Geeze Fo, that was fast even for you.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Thanks Krob........don't tell the guys on the Titus board But yeah I'm looking for something to boost the old confidence, I'm lame and should probably just do it without a new bike.....in fact that's my plan, I'm a little sketched out on the sizing of this bike and that's making me think twice about getting rid of a bike I love for one I'm unsure of.....yes Tscheezy I do love to try new designs and bikes, I've also got my eye on Canfield as well.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    yes Tscheezy I do love to try new designs and bikes, I've also got my eye on Canfield as well.
    Tscheezy was giving FoShizzle a hard time about selling off his recently purchased UZZI VPX to you. Not sure if that's the one you're looking at but the way Fo goes through bikes would even put you to shame, wasea, so I wouldn't be surprised. He usually sells them off before even putting knobby to dirt.

So do you know what the effective top tube length on the large Uzzi is? I might be able to give you some pretty close comparisons based on our similar build and the fact that we've sampled some of the same bikes.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-12-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    So do you know what the effective top tube length on the large Uzzi is?
    23.75" ETT for the large
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    and the medium is 22.75 right? I run a 70mm Thomson, at 5,10-11 am I going to be squished?
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Here's my verdict for the present time.........I'm going to stay with the El G and reconsider the Uzzi this summer when I do more resort riding, the reasoning behind the decision is this: They way I have my El G built up it's like a slopestyle bike, and they can handle some serious abuse, I did a 21'x5' stepdown today (brand new line on the AMA, new as of this week, there's a 17' hip into the stepdown! sweetness!) and realized that the only place I'd need an Uzzi is on a DH course, the El G can handle the drops and jumps fine and I don't think I'm pushing it's limits, so unless I want to step into the realm of the serious freeride ( 15'+ drops and 25+ gaps) I'll stick to my El G 'til this summer when I hit the DH runs and want a more DH type ride whereupon I'll redo this entire process THANKS GUYS!
    I like bikes.

Trophy Husband
    Thanks Krob........don't tell the guys on the Titus board
    We are watching you .
    Extreme stationary biker.

NOT Team Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    We are watching you .
    Good, then you know I decided to stick with Guap!
    I like bikes.