mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Let's Hear From the Evo Owners, What's the Word?

Not much here on the EVO. To me, looks like a great frame. 650b wheels on a DH platform? Heck yeah.

Come on boys...
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OK Myitch,

So the word on the street is that it is awesome. More capable than should be possible, the goalposts have been shifted by this bike. Faster, more stable than anything else around, the EVO still retains a huge amount of playfulness - corners great, jumps beautifully with nice "pop" off lips that 26" 951 owners will be familiar with (although toned down slightly it isn't as linear as M9).

I love mine, and I struggle whenever I get on a 26" wheeled DH bike after getting off my EVO. It's also hand made (unlike pretty much anything else on the market) and sexy as hell - I believe the original 951 was one of the best looking DH bikes ever made and the EVO retains this characteristic. I love this bike, will love it even more when it gets a set of new Boxxers.

Mine is the first bike in this thread: 951 EVO photo album

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Monza_Aus View Post
    OK Myitch,

So the word on the street is that it is awesome. More capable than should be possible, the goalposts have been shifted by this bike. Faster, more stable than anything else around, the EVO still retains a huge amount of playfulness - corners great, jumps beautifully with nice "pop" off lips that 26" 951 owners will be familiar with (although toned down slightly it isn't as linear as M9).

I love mine, and I struggle whenever I get on a 26" wheeled DH bike after getting off my EVO. It's also hand made (unlike pretty much anything else on the market) and sexy as hell - I believe the original 951 was one of the best looking DH bikes ever made and the EVO retains this characteristic. I love this bike, will love it even more when it gets a set of new Boxxers.

Mine is the first bike in this thread: 951 EVO photo album
    That is one sweeet rig. Bank too on that. Enve's?! Phew. I know for me too, after having ridden 650b and carbon wheels its hard to ride other rigs.

The Manitou not working out for you? Boxxer's have always been my weapon of choice. Even back pre-SRAM, the Boxxer kept Rockshox alive when their single crown forks weren't great. All my DH rigs had Boxxers

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cheers for the compliment! It is a really amazing bike. So Manitous.... This is my first Dorado, and I've had all of the other majors. My last 4 bikes have been RS equipped, 3 boxxers and 1 Totem, and I love them. The Damping on the Dorado is superb, but I just cant come to grips with the front end flexing around like it does with this fork. It is just not acceptable in my opinion, and it is exaggerated by the stiffness of the ENVE wheel. It's really a shame because that TPC+ damper (or whatever it's called) works great, sits nice & high in its travel which is something that RS have struggled in the past with Boxxer but nailed on the new Pike. The Charger equipped boxxer will change this though and it will fix the shitty wobbly front end I have at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, that's why you don't see many inverted forks anymore, even in motocross. There's just not enough rigidity without the lower part of the rectangle-of-rigidity as I call it (axle-2 lowers-brake arch [or what used to be where V-brakes were mounted]). Plus like you said, the new dampers from Rockshox are just stellar performers.

I haven't ridden a DH bike for years. I had the first generation M1, and other DH rigs. But this new EVO may just bring me back. I wish I hadn't seen them....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well I like these guys were critical and didn't turn around and start ranting and raving about how amazing the 951evo was (just like everyone else does when something new comes out whether it's good or not).

Won't keep me from finding one next year though if my 27.5-on-the-M9 project doesn't work out.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Won't keep me from finding one next year though if my 27.5-on-the-M9 project doesn't work out.
    You must really like flexy wheels.