Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

I've read a few threads questioning quality on Intense bikes?

I'm just getting back into pedaling and there has been some major advancements in this sport in the last ten years. I'm really interested in full suspension 29ers but mainly bikes in the 'trail' category. A few brands have piqued my interest: Intense, Pivot, Santa Cruz, maybe a Turner Sultan.

I've been to those two forums but over the last week or so, here on this site and online in general I've read that some frames released from Intense aren't straight and have some other problems. Is quality control an issue with this brand? I certainly hope not as it's on my short list right now. I'm not trolling, just trying to do as much research as I can before blowing my nut on what will likely be a $5k+ bike. I've read great reviews about them as well, just sifting through it all. Any opinion both good and bad you wish to share, please do.
    Last edited by Rated R; 07-11-2012 at 08:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    All I will say is I no longer have my 2012 Uzzi

Dude, got any schwag?
    I've read about it here also, but my experience has been quite the opposite. I'm on my 3rd Intense with absolutely NO issues. Plus, I have 4 riding buddies that now own tracers, and no problemo. (One broke after 18 months under a 6'4", 240lb Iron Worker, but customer service was outstanding in turning around the warranty). All I can say is, my TracerVp is the best bike I've owned in my long life, bar none. I've owned Fats, Lynskeys, Yetis, Cannondales, Felts, Santa Cruz, and so on, but this Tracer takes it. I have my sights on a Carbine now, but have already decided I will not dis-own (sell) the Tracer.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wish I could say the same......

mtbr member
    My 6.6 has a pretty soft rear end, I have a 10mm through axle and there it is still weak. I still ride the hell out of it but I don't like that Intense let these frames out the door knowing that the problem exists on an over $2000 frame.

A few months ago I saw the 2012 uzzi and thought it would be a great replacement for my 6.6. I had to wait a couple months for the frame as I was in batch 2. During that time I heard intense was still having issues. Also during that time I stumbled upon the Knolly Chilcotin.

My uzzi arrived at the shop but with my past experience with my 6.6 and people's issues with intense; I came to the conclusion of canceling my order for the Uzzi and bought a Chilcotin.

Let's just say I am super impressed with the Chilcotin, very high quality machine. Now knowing that Onesloryd got rid of his Uzzi, I am sure I made the right rescission for me.

Here is a pic and build list if you are interested.

My build:
    Frame: 2012 Knolly Chilcotin, Blue, Medium
    Fork: 2013 Fox 36 160mm RC2 Talas
    Shock: CCDB Air
    Rims: Mavic 819
    Hubs: Hadley
    Tires: Schwable Hans Dampf; Front: Trailstar, Rear: Pacestar
    Headset: Chris King Inset Model 5
    Handlebars: ODI Flightcontrol 750 mm
    Stem: ODI Flightcontrol 70mm
    Grips: ODI SDG Lock-on
    Brakes: 2012 Formula The ONE
    Shifters: Sram X0
    Rear Derailuer: Sram X0 Type 2, medium cage
    Crankset: Truvativ Hammerschmidt AM 170mm
    Bottom Bracket: Hammerschmidt AM
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm travel, 380mm long
    Seat: SDG Bel Air Ti
    pedals: VP Components
    Chain: KMC X10 SL-Ti
    Cassette: Sram 1070 11-36

33.75 lbs with tubes, couldn't get the Hans Dampf to seat tubeless straight out of the box. I think its a very good weight considering the Hammerschmidt and Reverb post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onesloryd View Post
    All I will say is I no longer have my 2012 Uzzi
    What made you jump ship? What are you going to go with now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Its a long story and I am not going to air it in a public forum.

Your Knolly turned out nice.

I am on a Cove STD so much nicer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've read a few threads questioning quality on Intense bikes?-img_1474.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    SoCal, how do you like the CCDB Air?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Onesloryd said: All I will say is I no longer have my 2012 Uzzi

I hate to hear the 12 Uzzi didn't work out for you. I don't know what your issues were and I also know for every good story is a bad. I've been on the 12 Uzzi for 4 months now and have a friend who just got one a month ago. I couldn't be happier. I've been riding the Uzzi on everything from long single tracks to full on West Virgina lift assisted bike parks and so far I wouldn't chage a thing.

mtbr member
    SoCal, how do you like the CCDB Air?
    I haven't really been able to ride it due to being sick, but it's my first cane creek shock and the adjustability is crazy, luckily knolly and cane creek have base tunes for the Chilcotin.

You cove looks good, we still need to hook up for a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Skyboss, very true that is how I ended up with the Uzzi, even after reading about the issues Intense has I still bought the Uzzi frame as it came highly recommended. I am glad yours is working out for you. I think mine was just a fluke. Oh well

SoCal, I had the CCDB on the Uzzi and it's adjustability really helped in dialing in the suspension.
    That sucks about being sick, let me know when you are up for a ride.

mtbr member
    Skyboss, very true that is how I ended up with the Uzzi, even after reading about the issues Intense has I still bought the Uzzi frame as it came highly recommended. I am glad yours is working out for you. I think mine was just a fluke. Oh well

SoCal, I had the CCDB on the Uzzi and it's adjustability really helped in dialing in the suspension.
    That sucks about being sick, let me know when you are up for a ride.

I will let you know when I am feeling up to it.

bikeboatbrewski
    That Cove looks sweet, will it fit 650b?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks, no it won't, the clearance between the horizontal braces and tire is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You need to put it all in perspective, internet forums aren't the best place to form an opinion on a brand but are one of the largest sources of information. Every brand has issues, bar none. People who have issues are generally very vocal on the internet forums. I'm not putting any blame on them, you spent a large sum of money and deserve to be 100% satisfied. It's just that for every complaint you read, keep in mind there's likely hundreds of happy customers out there riding the heck out of their bikes and loving them.

For the record I have a 2009 Uzzi and love it to bits, everything from all day all mountain rides to days in the bike park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    You need to put it all in perspective, internet forums aren't the best place to form an opinion on a brand but are one of the largest sources of information. Every brand has issues, bar none. People who have issues are generally very vocal on the internet forums. I'm not putting any blame on them, you spent a large sum of money and deserve to be 100% satisfied. It's just that for every complaint you read, keep in mind there's likely hundreds of happy customers out there riding the heck out of their bikes and loving them.
    I think that is a very accurate statement and agree 100%. I am very happy with my M9 as well.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    davet, couldn't agree more. Like I mentioned in one of my posts "I think mine was just a fluke."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I think that is a very accurate statement and agree 100%. I am very happy with my M9 as well.

I agree as well. I spent some time in a Subaru forum when I was shopping around for a new rig and found the found the exact same thing there. People are generally very vocal when they are upset and the happy ones are all out playing.

My T2 has seen just about every condition and has been outstanding everywhere I take it. As for Customer Service, I have contacted them a few times on random issues and have always been taken care of promptly and with a great attitute. (thanks Johnny and Jenn! )

Heading to Mammoth in a few weeks for the first bike park experience - this should be the real test for the T2.

My sites are now on a M9 or 951 but I'm not sure how long I can keep my wife convinced these bike only cost "a few hundred bucks"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post

For the record I have a 2009 Uzzi and love it to bits, everything from all day all mountain rides to days in the bike park.

Absolutely. If anyone feels like they were screwed, they are more likely to post their sentiments here rather than the guy who is riding his Carbine everyday in perpetual bliss...

People being who we are, I understood this before posting. Comments and opinions to consider though is obligatory before choosing to purchase anything in my book.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    I agree as well. I spent some time in a Subaru forum when I was shopping around for a new rig and found the found the exact same thing there. People are generally very vocal when they are upset and the happy ones are all out playing.

My T2 has seen just about every condition and has been outstanding everywhere I take it. As for Customer Service, I have contacted them a few times on random issues and have always been taken care of promptly and with a great attitute. (thanks Johnny and Jenn! )

Heading to Mammoth in a few weeks for the first bike park experience - this should be the real test for the T2.

My sites are now on a M9 or 951 but I'm not sure how long I can keep my wife convinced these bike only cost "a few hundred bucks"

Fight On...! '94 here

Lord of the Chainrings
    2 years with almost daily rides on the 951.
    Aside from the usual "wear and tear" issues....Still very satisfied!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've read a few threads questioning quality on Intense bikes?-lacosta951.jpg  

"Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Pirate!!!
    I've got 6mos on my 2012 T29, I love it! The rear triangle was missalined when I got it and was replaced very quickly under warranty. Could not be happier.

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've been riding my new-to-me 2010 Tracer VP since March, but I've gotten a usual summer's worth of rides in already this year. So far I absolutely love it. Only bad aspect is how the chain eats the chainstay for lunch without some form of guide/protection, but I solved that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a 2010 Tracer and 2011 Uzzi and I've had no issues with either... just had the Uzzi up at Silverstar this week and it performed like a champ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You could definitely think that Intense has a major problem from reading this forum, but you could get the same impression about any brand from reading their brand forums. Problems seem to be what filters through the noise better than anything else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast