mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Irregular Seat Tube surface on Carbine SL - Warranty issue?

I recently picked up a Carbine SL from Wrench Science and have only ridden it a few times so far. I'm really happy with the bike, but one thing that I noticed was that my seat post was always slipping a little bit. Since I was planning to put in a dropper post anyway, I didn't bother to look into it. Anyway, I got my KS Lev this week and removed my post, and then discovered that the seat tube is actually very rough internally and also not perfectly round.

There are visible deep grind markings starting about 1.5cm below the top of the seat tube and only on one side. The grind marks make a depression into the carbon, such that the grinded portion is about 1mm or so deeper into the seat tube wall on that side. This means that the frame will never make solid contact with any seatpost that is inserted into the frame.

I took photos of the grinded area, as well as one with a flat edge next to it to show the level of the depression created. As you can see, the depression is only on one side.

It looks like someone at Intense got a bit overzealous with a flex-hone bit!

Anyone else see something similar in their frames? I haven't contacted Intense yet...due to the other threads regarding their warranty service, but I think I should, sooner than later.

Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

I fix your broken ****!
    Shoot me an email and we can figure out what's up here- sam@intensecycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    Woah! Will do! Thanks!
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-IntenseCustServ View Post
    Got to love service like that, hopefully they'll sort you out and dispel their shoddy customer service reputation on here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    As far as I'm concerned Intense (Sam) has proven they are behind their bikes and their customers.

I sent my frame back a week ago and got a call today from Sam. He said the issue with my frame shouldn't affect the performance or strength of the frame, but gave me an option to swap it for a new Carbine (non-SL) instead, since they were out of Medium SL's. Since I've been curious to try 650b down the road, I went for the swap. He says it should ship out today so with any luck I'll be riding it this weekend!

All I can say is that my correspondence with Sam was very professional and I always received a prompt reply, sometimes within minutes. And a personal phone call in the end to discuss the options was greatly appreciated.

Intense for life!