Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Intense VP build - chainline question

OK, this question is for a mate of mine (honest) who hasn't been able to post on here for some reason.

He's building up a Tracer VP in medium, and when running granny front and lowest gear at the back (i.e. biggest sprocket) the chain rubs on the lower VPP bolt.

Any advice? He'll be grateful.

Cheers. htc

mtbr member
    I am having the same issue on my Tracer, no solution but definitely interested.

mtbr member
    I checked this out on my personal Tracer that has a lot of miles on it as I have never noticed any rubbing or noise while riding in that gear combo. I have 2008 XTR crank & cassette. I did notice that there might be a bit of chain slap in this area but this didn't seem to be a problem also when the sag is set up on the bike properly that pivot moves up and away from the chain and is only close when static with no weight on it.
    The only thing I can think is that the bottom bracket or spindle spacing is to close with your crank setup. Check this out.

mtbr member
    I don't know what type of bottom bracket you are using but here is a possible answer. If it is a Shimano external bearing, did you put in a spacer on the drive side. I have seen people leave it out on 73mm. bottom brackets.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    yea, I'm having the same issue, baaaadddd rubbing in granny and also in the middle ring in the highest cog in the rear--I want to run an e-13 drs but cant seem to get it to work---it hits the lower link.........

mtbr member
    I have the spacer in between the frame & BB cup & I noticed the chain rubbing the lower pivot bolt when the bike is on the stand. When seated & sagged it doesn't look like it would be an issue while riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cheers guys. Two things seem to be coming out of this. First Raceface cranks/bb seem to be worse than Shimano for this issue. Second, it looks like the problem may not actually show up while riding because of the sag (thanks sanjosedre). Will update when Mike's finished the build.

mtbr member
    So I had my wife take a picture while I was sitting on the bike (sagged) & found that while in a 22/32 combo that the chain does in fact rub the lower pivot bolt. I do have a single spacer in between the BB cup & frame & the they are XT cranks.
    Pics attached & how many spacers is everyone running with external BB bearings?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    check this....from SantaCruz forum...its a BLUR LT2 also with the gen2 vpp...seems like the new UZZI need a 83/100 BB?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Would the length of the rear derailleur cage have anything to do with this? I am planning on running a long cage derailleur on my Tracer that I will be building soon but this may have nothing to do with it. This problem really concerns me since I am a stickler about having a clean setup on my bike. The chain trashing by pivot bolt will drive me nuts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, Mike has now realised he was trying to fit a 68mm bb which was one reason it wasn't working, duh (his comment, not mine).

Will report further once he has tried a 73mm isis set up. Looks like this is not a unique issue though - and not one you need on a frame of this price.

By the way sanjosedre - apart from the nice bit of rusty chain ; ) is that bottom link bolt tight - it looks like it has come slightly loose?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    No rust there mate, that is some good bay area dirt on that chain.

I also checked the pivot bolts, all torqued to spec.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Dre, is that some FRO foam stuffed between the link?

mtbr member
    Sorry I don't know what FRO foam is but yes I always stuff foam in between the frame & the bottom link to prevent rocks getting jammed in there & damaging the link (I had this happen before).

Old school BMXer
    Did you lose or remove the circlip on your lower pivot bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosedre
    So I had my wife take a picture while I was sitting on the bike (sagged) & found that while in a 22/32 combo that the chain does in fact rub the lower pivot bolt. I do have a single spacer in between the BB cup & frame & the they are XT cranks.
    Pics attached & how many spacers is everyone running with external BB bearings?

mtbr member
    I had lost it but luckily my local shop had extras.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Question:

I am considering purchasing a new Tracer VP, are you guys telling me that everyone is having this chainline issue?

Is it not fixable?

Thanks,
    Brett

Dude, got any schwag?
    No problem here.

Truvativ Stylo (exo) FYI.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

No problem with Saint on the VP

No problem with Shimano Saint on my Tracer VP

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    this looks real bad...expecially considering the new gen vpp is supposed to pedal better in the granny on the S.Cruz and Intense...on steep hills you need that gear ratio, but serious chain rub stops me buying one, period...didn't this get figured out on prototypes?

mtbr member
    For the folks free of issues, there is no rubbing of the chain onto the lower pivot bolt at all?

I don't understand why my tracer may be the exception on this.
    hmmm

Dude, got any schwag?
    I'll look again tonight, but feel certain that this is an isolated issue. I am one persnickety mother f*&#er when it comes to noises & clearances & stuff. IE, if I haven't heard anything, it's not happening.

And by the way, this thing climbs better than my Blur XC.

Now, if I can just find the rough sections of trail I used to ride. It really seems odd that they smoothed out ALL the trails just when I got this bike.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Sanjosedre, Could you post a side shot of your bike so I can see your set up as from the photos it looks like you have a extreme chainline and not sure what your fron chainring & crank setup is. May be if you are running a 22 tooth granny with a weird offset or something?
    After you posted we checked all our demo bikes, personal & mag test bikes as we have never had any rubbing or grinding issues while riding in this gear combo. There will be some chainslap in this area and under the chainstay same as on the previous VPP bikes but this is nothing serious that we have seen & we have been riding these bikes since December 07. We run mainly Shimano drivetrain but as you can see from photos there are lots of combinations out there.

mtbr member
    Here you go Jeff
    Details are as follows;
    XT 770 73mm Crankset
    2.5mm BB Cup Spacer
    King rear hub with SRAM 990 Cassette
    Let me know if you need any more information.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi all,

I am the 'Mate' who couldn't post originally,- Thanks Hamish for posting for me.

After no joy with my RF deus setup, I decided to buy some 2nd hand XT HTII cranks (and use the same RF BB)

Picture attached shows the clearance - i.e. nothing.

AND this is after I backed the bolt back into the frame a bit so the circlip actually touches the VPP link, - it was a couple of mm proud before that. Now it pedals in that gear with just about no rubbing... however it rubs when backpedalled.

Lovelly bike and all that, but I expected to able to fit standard parts for my 1650 outlay.

Regards

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast