Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Intense Uzzi SL - keeper or pass on to the collectors?

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jan_nikolajsen 
#1 ·
My wife is in need of a FS ride to replace the Wahoo. We came across this interesting ride, but know nothing about it.

It fits her fine and the frame and components are in exceptional condition. We would toss the wheels and V-brakes for tubeless and disc.

Question to the Intense panel: is this a bike of such pedigree that it would make more sense to sell it and use the dough towards a newer ride? Or is it a killer trail bike on par with the latest out there that's begging to get used?

Rockshox Psylo coil fork w 90-125 travel adjust.
Fox Vanilla RC shock.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I have been on an uzzi-sl for 10 years and "still" love it. Every part has been updated. And as far as that frame and suspension design the "Four Bar" was for many years concidered one of the best. I think it to this can hang with most of today's designs. It does everything well. An all around great trail bike. Do like you said switch out the funky Spinergys and put on some disc brakes and you're good to go. The Psylo set at 125mm is a perfect fit with the 4.75" FOX Vanilla RC out back. I run a FOX Vanilla RLC 125 fork. And there are still many UZZI-SL's shredding the trails today. Which says alot for it's durability considering they stopped production after 02'. You may be interested in this thread which has some SL info http://forums.mtbr.com/intense/man-intense-253934.html?

#6 ·
First I would ask how much? 2nd I would ask what kind of riding is she doing? 3rd is there a bike out there that is relatively newer (lighter,better tech ie: drivetrain, suspension and brakes) in the same price range. There are alot of bikes out there 2007-present that are for sale that would be a better option than the Uzzi SL. I'd buy just because I am a huge fan of Intense and it looks mint.

#10 ·
It has to be cheap, and that being dirt cheap, cause Intense does not offer spare parts for older frames, so if you crack a rear triangle or a linkage plate, the frame is not repairable.

So you can calculate what you think the parts are worth, and add like 100$ for the frame. If the price is higher than that, get a different bike.

Other than that, yes it's a fine frame.

Magura :)

#11 ·
It has to be cheap, and that being dirt cheap, cause Intense does not offer spare parts for older frames, so if you crack a rear triangle or a linkage plate, the frame is not repairable.

So you can calculate what you think the parts are worth, and add like 100$ for the frame. If the price is higher than that, get a different bike.

Other than that, yes it's a fine frame.

Magura :)
I do agree with you about the availability of a broken part for such an old frame. But I can attest to the durability of an 01' SL. I weigh 210lbs and have been on an 01'SL since 02' and have had zero issues. I certainly don't baby it but rather put through some very technical terrain. I have kept an eye and ear out on these forums for broken SL frames. And have over the last ten years only heard of two guys looking for a rear triangle. A very durable frame and seeing how this one is projected for a woman it should last a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.