mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Intense Tracer 2 or 275

Looking to buy a Tracer 2 but with the Tracer 275 being the new frame would it be best to go with that? Would I be buying in to old technology by going with the 26'' wheeled Tracer 2. I also see the Tracer 2 has a full 1.5 inch head tube where as the 275 has a tapered. Does anyone know the reason behind this?

mtbr member
    I own the 29 and 275 tracers and I like the 275 more. The 26 is better supported with tires, forks and rims and most of us have parts laying around to soften the financial blow of building a 26" bike which isn't likeley the case with a 275. I think the advantages and disadvantages are fairly slight between the 26 and 275 versions.
    My understanding of the move to the tapered ht is that the beefy bearing is only a big advantage on the lower race and the larger weld serface is the same situation at the HT/DT junction,

mtbr member
    There are countless postings debating the 26 vs 275 issue and wether the new size is a just a fad or here to stay. Having ridden both extensively now, my opinion is they are both here to stay and the 275 fills "in between" niche much like the SUV filled the gap between cars and trucks.

It really depends on what type of riding you are building the bike for and the size of the rider can come into play as well. Do a little bit of reading and you'll find all the info you need.

As far as the tapered vs straight head tube goes, certainly don't let that be major deciding factor for you - both are good and you will never know the difference between the two.

Good luck, both excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the info so far.

I also found out that the Tracer 275 has hose guides and is drilled for a stealth reverb.
    It's a real shame the standard tracer 2 doesnt have this as I'd be quite keen on a stealth in the future.

If I were to go for the Tracer 275 would it run ok with 26" wheels?
    This would only be temporary but it would be nice if it worked without messing the angles up to much.

Finally did they sort out the brace on the rear end. I saw some pics showing the tyre running stupidly close, it also looked dangerous.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    If I were to go for the Tracer 275 would it run ok with 26" wheels?
    Will it be safe? Yes. Will it handle right? No. It doesn't take big changes to things like head angle and trail to make a bike feel very different. But it wouldn't hurt anything other than maybe your pedals from getting more strikes from the lower BB height with 26" wheels. Head angle will be the same, but the whole bike will be lower and the trail dimension up front will change (get smaller with 26" wheels, making the bike twitchier, I would think).

mtbr member
    Good answer CTB - I agree. Although it technically would work, the 275 was desinged with dropouts that compensate for the taller wheel so your ride height would be affected.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What is the tyre clearance like where the seat stay bridge is?
    Photos show it looking awfully close. Too close infact, like a design flaw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here is the pic of the tyre clearance. Hopefully this was a photo of a prototype.
    Intense Tracer 275 tire clearance | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member

Here's my 275

What is the tyre clearance like where the seat stay bridge is?
    Photos show it looking awfully close. Too close infact, like a design flaw.
    shown with 2.25 Racin Ralphs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Tracer 2 or 275-dsc00927.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That still looks pretty close. I had a frame many years ago that had bad tyre clearance and I had to get rid. So I'm left with a bad experience. It really does ruin ownership, why can't they just design them properly.

This has really put me off the 275.

Might just go for the 26" and drill the seat tube to accommodate a stealth reverb.

mtbr member

A few pics for your info

The Path had the Zeus and Burner built up so I took some clearence pics; forgot to get the lower yoke on the zeus and the pic shows the lower yoke looking tighter than it appeared in person but both beat my Tracer 275.
    That still looks pretty close. I had a frame many years ago that had bad tyre clearance and I had to get rid. So I'm left with a bad experience. It really does ruin ownership, why can't they just design them properly.

This has really put me off the 275.

Might just go for the 26" and drill the seat tube to accommodate a stealth reverb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Tracer 2 or 275-zeus-clearence.jpg  

Intense Tracer 2 or 275-burner-clearence.jpg  

Last edited by slowrider; 04-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for that, those pics look like have a lot more tyre clearance than the tracer 275.

What are people's thoughts on drilling the seat tube of a tracer 2 to accept a reverb?
    It simply looks like a basic hole on the 275, no extra gussets or strengthening.

mtbr member
    If you intend to buy a new Tracer 2 I'm sure they could provide the elongated hole for the reverb housing before heat treat and powder, has to be better than drilling after.
    Thanks for that, those pics look like have a lot more tyre clearance than the tracer 275.

What are people's thoughts on drilling the seat tube of a tracer 2 to accept a reverb?
    It simply looks like a basic hole on the 275, no extra gussets or strengthening.