mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Intense ss doin´ all?

Hey guys!

I´m looking for a bike for the all day ride. i wanna do some dirtjumping, cruising, riding single trails, doing some xc spins, doing some downhills and so on.
    i came across the ss and it seems to be the perfect ride. i come from downhill and i like the head angle and the travel....but does anyone of you have some experience about going uphill? i would mount 2 chainrings and a talas 36. i also wanna do some 3-5 hours xc rides on it....
    maybe a 6.6 or a trazer vp would be the better choice??

thank you for your help!

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know a couple riders with SS, and they use it for absolultely everything, just like you describe, and they love it! The only thing you have to be aware of is that you need a yardlong seatpost for XC riding.

Ole.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I use mine that way. Coming from a DH background you'll not likely have any problems doing the same.

It climbs very well, I have no trouble hanging with other people when they're riding more traditional AM setups. I admit that I grab a lighter bike for fast paced pure XC rides but I've done some very long days in the saddle of the SS with no complaints. It's really all about getting the right weight build for your style and having the fitness level to pedal a 33 to 35 lb rig for hours on end.

Old school BMXer
    If I were to have only one bike, the SlopeStyle would be the bike.

I have an M6 (and previously an M3), and I still find myself often taking the SS for DH duty.
    I have a 5.5, yet I still often take the SS for long XC rides.
    I have a Black Market Mob, but I still most often take the SS to the jumps.

Although my SS is 2 pounds heavier than the 6.6 it replaced, I was pleasantly surprised how much better it tracks on the climbs - and that's without having to lower the fork! (my 6.6 had a 36 TALAS, and the SS has a 36 VAN)

Just change tires, and you can go from a reasonably light XC bike (33ish pounts) to a DH race bike. As mentioned, you may want to get a long seat post for XC. I use a Maverick Speedball, which works very well with the SS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thank you very much! this really helps me out....
    one question about the shock: how much is the difference in weight between a DHX5 with a titanium spring and a DHX air?? would you recommend an air shock????

and does anybody know the frame weight with a dhx5?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Steve,
    I just rode a totally xc-ish ride w/ a guy on a SS...and he kicked my butt the entire day! (mind you my out of shape a$$ was on a 26#XC bike, too :|
    that thing had NO pedal bob on the uphills i could see, then it just ripped in the down sections..his fitness level was amazing tho...we rode about 4 hours that day ups/downs.
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Weight is really close between the ti coil dhx-c and dhx-A. I would suggest saving weight in other areas and leaving the coil in place.

I think mine with a DHX-C and steel coil was 8.59 lbs. My complete build with a TALAS 36 RC2 and a CCDB w/ti spring is just under 34lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you want to use the SS for xc-stuff be aware that the bottom bracket is very low. My SS has also a Fox 36 Talas as you plan to do and I use a 170 mm crankset - if the terain is rocky or if there are many roots, i often hit the ground/roots with the crank.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by steveDH
    thank you very much! this really helps me out....
    one question about the shock: how much is the difference in weight between a DHX5 with a titanium spring and a DHX air?? would you recommend an air shock????

and does anybody know the frame weight with a dhx5?

thanks!
    The DHX coil - even titanium is a good bit heavier than a DHX Air (considering that I'm using a 500# spring). I forgot to weigh the coil shock. I do have a DHX air for my SS, but I haven't used it yet.

With the original coil, my frame weighed about 9 pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    yep, 170 mm cranks are the best route. I had 175's a few months, 170's are working much better. With time and practice, even really rough climbs can be cleaned on the SS which pays big dividends on the way down.

Clarification on the DHX-C vs DHX-A weight.
    DHX-C is roughly 600g with a ti coil but varies depending on the length and weight of coil
    DHX-A is roughly 450g

So you're looking at just over 1/4, approaching 1/3 lb difference.

Gnarbar
    Quote Originally Posted by randan
    If you want to use the SS for xc-stuff be aware that the bottom bracket is very low. My SS has also a Fox 36 Talas as you plan to do and I use a 170 mm crankset - if the terain is rocky or if there are many roots, i often hit the ground/roots with the crank.
    ^^^ what they said. 170mm is the way.

I run Fox DHX 5.0 air and I love it. Must just be right for my style and setup. Doesn't feel harsh at all and I love the way it lands. It's tight, and feels like it just sucks down to the trail smoothly and wants to keep going fast.
    White/blue Intense Slopestyle
    Red 2011 Morewood Makulu

Sovereign Cycle | Lama Cycles | Morewood Bikes | Kali Protectives

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    /hijack!

Err you're in SLC right? How did your SS do on local trails? Easy climbs up Dry Creek, Puke Hill, etc.? Ever take it on a long XC ride in Park City or something like that?

Right now I have a Demo 7 for my big bike and a Prophet MX for my trail/whatever bike. The SS crosses over a lot with both of these bikes, thinking about building a lightish SS to replace the Prophet...any thoughts?

biking is fun
    hey summit, im obviously not Err but ride with him and also own a SS.

the bike is fun for SLC. it tears up bobsled, i street, and can still pedal to the top with ease. i used to have a transition BR and wanted something with more squish. The SS shines on everything around here.
    the only complaint is the low BB which isn't too big of a deal but i do randomly hit my pedals on steep rocky climbs. just need to learn some timing and run 170mm cranks. i have also hit my pedal on trails that are dug in with high banks but no big deal.

I know Err rides his on longish xc rides and doesn't mind it. its not an xc bike though.
    i don't know if its directly related but i had never made it up puke hill or the three red hills after until i got my SS. i made all of them on the same day without stopping. i think it was the first ride on my SS even. its definately fun. if you want to try mine sometime i wouldn't mind letting you take it for a lap down bobsled or something. might be a while til the snow melts though. i just built up a socom and am dying to try it out.
    hope this helps.
    oh and i am 6 feet and ride a large with a 50mm stem and its perfect!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey thanks cb. Good to hear. I'm debating selling my Prophet MX since I came across a great deal on a Slopestyle frame. Seems to be very similar angles - both bikes slack and low. Although I think the Prophet is probably still lighter. I've actually ridden a Slopestyle up at the Glenwild Bob's Basin trails and it did great, just trying to figure out if it'd be a legitimate bike to fill the trailbike/agressive AM slot.

Honestly the Tracer VP would probably be a better fit, but the deal on the Slopestyle is almost too good to pass up.

p.s. you helped build the ladder gapper up at I Street right? That thing is still super fun.

biking is fun
    yeah that was me and my friend. 3 days in the rain. we built the small double above it, the ladder and lander, the tall bank and the small s-turn into the other ladders. can't claim the 2 ladders below it though. i recently started linking from the very top of i street to the ladder line then to the small jumps. Way Fun!!! im probably going to replace all of the rungs on it cause one of them snapped. might do 2 x 6's this time.

I use mine for AM/FR mainly. i love to jump every little thing down the trail too. if you spend time jumping then the SS is for you. if you are mainly wanting it for AM then maybe the tracer would be better. I look at the SS as a fun jump/drop/ cornering machine that can handle the ups. since i ride I street one day and then bike up sweeny's and down johns the next day i need a bike for everything and this does it well. i have had quite a few bikes in the last 2 years but this one is going no where. its way to fun.

how much of a deal did you find on one? if its that good just buy it and build it up. if you don't like it then turn and sell it in the spring when people are going nuts over bike stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I haven't hit that line all the way through from the top, will have to try it! Would make for a nice long run. If you're riding up Sweeney's on it I feel pretty good about its xc-ability. Gonna give one a try, if it sux for longer rides I can always sell it for a tracer or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    p.s. here is a pretty good rundown for anyone coming across this thread in the future:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense....html?trk=n,15

biking is fun
    nice man, you should like it, yeah we went up sweeney's, then up a dirt/fire road all the way to the Pirate trail then down that, hit empire link, then back down john's.

now i am pretty used to riding 37 pound freeride bike up everything so when i got my 34 pound SS done it felt great.

post up some pics when you get it built.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yo Summit,

Yeah, local in SLC. I've lapped Glenwild on my SS a few times and Puke hill comes and goes with hardly a notice. I've even thrown on some clippless pedals and motored up Spiro -> Power Line - > Comstock Mine Grade -> Shadow Lake Loop -> Smokin' fast descent. This was in 1x9 trim at a fast pace.

The geo of the SS with a Talas on it is completely comfy for AM, it's really just a matter of the weight and your fitness level. I do enjoy a good lung busting, quad exploding climb that leads to a road gap so the SS is the perfect weapon for such antics.

If all you really want is a little squish in the back end to hit some nice clean gaps or drops below the 10' mark or so, the Tracer may suit you better.

Take all my words with a grain of salt since I enjoy cleaning Puke Hill on my Socom with a 40 and no FD. Climbingbubba is no doubt the voice of reason in this thread.

I'm gonna go ride urban on my 29er now, later!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    please oh please don't tell me this is true

if so i don't know if i could ride with you anymore, ha ha

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Yo Summit,

Yeah, local in SLC. I've lapped Glenwild on my SS a few times and Puke hill comes and goes with hardly a notice. I've even thrown on some clippless pedals and motored up Spiro -> Power Line - > Comstock Mine Grade -> Shadow Lake Loop -> Smokin' fast descent. This was in 1x9 trim at a fast pace.

The geo of the SS with a Talas on it is completely comfy for AM, it's really just a matter of the weight and your fitness level. I do enjoy a good lung busting, quad exploding climb that leads to a road gap so the SS is the perfect weapon for such antics.

If all you really want is a little squish in the back end to hit some nice clean gaps or drops below the 10' mark or so, the Tracer may suit you better.

Take all my words with a grain of salt since I enjoy cleaning Puke Hill on my Socom with a 40 and no FD. Climbingbubba is no doubt the voice of reason in this thread.

Thanks for the input Err. Sounds like we think alike - I've cleaned Puke countless times on my Demo 7, my old AS-X with a Shiver and 24" rear wheel, etc., etc. Although I can't imagine doing it with a single ring...UGH! And even taken that beast on a mid-mountain loop epic, which just about killed me.

Anyway, will post up some pics when she's ready!

p.s. either of yall run an adjustable post? thinking about the new joplin, or I may just stick with the GD.

biking is fun
    again ill let err take that one cause he has a joplin

im in the market for one. im probably going to get the KS or kind shock i900 seatpost. it has 125mm of adjustability which for me sounds perfect. the SS has such a short Seattube that raising and dropping it 5 inches sounds perfect.

BTI will be stocking them this year and they retail for under 200 so should be pretty sweet.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I run the 3" version of the Joplin for now. Agree with climbingbubba that the 125mm KS is looking like a solid option for next season.