mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Intense Spider Comp 29 Creak w/ video - Please Help

Here is the deal: Creak is mainly under heavy pedal load. It creaks regardless of which chainring I am in. Seems to be worse when I am standing up even if I am applying the same amount of force to the pedals as when I am sitting down. I can't be certain, but I think I can feel the creak too, not just hear it. I have tried tightening chainring bolts, taking the cranks off and regreasing, regreasing pedals. My best guess is it is something with the bottom bracket, but I don't have the tools to take off/reinstall the pressfit BB. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My buddy had the same issue on his Trigger1, the creek sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket. After he took it back to his LBS, the creek was actually coming from one of his pivot points, after regreasing the pivots, creek went away. Hope it helps.

Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the same frame and noise. I keep finding that the forward bolt on the shock is the problem. I finally greased it before putting it back in and the case is thus far closed.

mtbr member
    Its really hard to isolate these things. Seats, seatposts, upper or lower link pivots, BB, chainrings, etc can all cause it. I recently had the problem (also with an Intense Spider) and just took everything apart and regreased it all.

Pirate!!!
    I've got a "pop" noise under heavy pedal load. Sounds like its time to grease things up. The moon dust this time of the year really brings out the noises in carbon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just solved a creaking noise ( I thought I could feel it also). Mine turned out to be the rear axle hanger bolts (same type as chainring bolts). I replaced them with titanium versions, greased the dropouts on the face that is in contact with the frame, used thread lock and tightened to recommended torque setting as advised by Sam at Intense customer services.

May be of some help.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mr. Fish. What are the torque values for the rear hanger bolts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    50-70 in/lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had a similar creak on my Intense Carbine SL. Over a period of about 4 weeks I virtually dismantled the whole bike - Pivot points, cranks, bottom bracket, seat post, saddle, headset, brakes, pedals, mech hanger etc etc. I was at the point of jumping up a down on it and throwing it in a skip when just by chance I put in another rear wheel and hey-presto the creak was gone. It turned out to be the rear hub - Although the hub was not loose, it just needed to be tweaked! Regardless to say, I am now back in love with my Carbine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Spider Comp 29 Creak w/ video - Please Help-image001.jpg  

Last edited by white5pot; 10-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.