mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Intense Spider 142X12mm Axle Options

Ok...I have searched the web including this forum and am confused about the 142X12mm dropouts for the Spider 29. i just ordered a dropout set from Jenson and they did not give a choice for Syntace vs Shimano axle/quick release. So are there two different droupouts or will either axle work?

I did find a early post where Mr. Intense said he was using a Shimano...which is a quick release style and what I also ordered from Jenson.

I had sent a email to Intense last week but did not receive a response.

My rear triangle/hub has alot of flex...so much so that the brake rotor makes a noise when cornering hard. (Chris King hub and yes I have reset the preload and the skewer is nice and tight)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Shimano and Syntace are different. I have the DT dropout on mine and I had a problem similar to yours. There was play in the dropouts when the axle was tightened down. The problem was that the DT skewer did not have the threads machined far enough for it to tighten. The skewer would be tight but there was still side to side play at the hub. I put the Intense rear axle on and it fit perfect. The Intense axle had another .250" of threads than the DT. Downside is I need an allen to remove it. Upside is that I don't have a bulky QR lever sticking out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I recently bought the G1 27.5" conversion dropouts for my T2. Syntace 142x12 and ordered the DT Swiss QR style thru axle for it. No issues.