Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    You are in for such a treat. This is one of the best trail/ all mountsin bikes out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great looking bike, I like the build and the 160 fork. It is interesting that in your part of the world they support frame only, but it is close to impossible to get a frame only here in the states. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ursavage View Post
    Stoked to try out my new Recluse this weekend. Rode a mates one and then again on a demo day and loved it! Upgrading from a 2010 Turner 5 Spot. I'm based in New Zealand and the distributor supports frame only... so why not!
    Sweet looking build. What water bottle / tool bottle are you running? I need to find a water bottle to fit mine. I was thinking the YT Thirstmaster 3000 that they use for the YT Jeffsy might work. Anyone know?
    Last edited by _Neo; 02-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Chainline question... Just picked up a Recluse Elite and I'm having some issues with the chainline, at least that's what I think the problem is. I'm getting a lot of drivetrain noise when in the low gears and if I backpedal, even a little bit, the chain drops down three to four gears. When examined closely the I notice the chain moves off the chainring first when backpedaling.

My bike has the E13 46t cassette and I'm running the Next SL Crank with no spacers on the drive side. I've tried an Absolute Black oval ring and a round Raceface ring with no success. The AB ring has more offset somiwas thinking that would help. Visually the chainline looks off-too far inboard at the cassette.

Any ideas? Have others seen a similar issue? Thanks. Can't wait to ride this beast!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by playinVT View Post
    Chainline question... Just picked up a Recluse Elite and I'm having some issues with the chainline, at least that's what I think the problem is. I'm getting a lot of drivetrain noise when in the low gears and if I backpedal, even a little bit, the chain drops down three to four gears. When examined closely the I notice the chain moves off the chainring first when backpedaling.

My bike has the E13 46t cassette and I'm running the Next SL Crank with no spacers on the drive side. I've tried an Absolute Black oval ring and a round Raceface ring with no success. The AB ring has more offset somiwas thinking that would help. Visually the chainline looks off-too far inboard at the cassette.

Any ideas? Have others seen a similar issue? Thanks. Can't wait to ride this beast!
    Did you get my message on Pinkbike? The drivetrain noise is due to the 2-piece E13 cassette. They now offer a shim kit for this also I would normally grease the contact points on the cassette ever 2 months or 100 miles. The noise is more prominent in the lower gears because of the torque and these are the chromoly steel gears, the taller gears are aluminum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    While on the bike you should be able to do at a half rotation without the chain dropping.

mtbr member
    Handled the biggest drop I've ever done just fine:

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _Neo View Post

Hell yea!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Awesome! Well done!!! This thing drops and jumps like a feather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Neo View Post

That drop is on my list for tomorrow!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Breaking parts

mtbr member
    Interesting review. Like many not too glowing but not awful either. Pedal kickback and the bike being more suited to smooth flowey trails not what I wanted to hear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think it is fairly accurate. The one thing I don't experience though is the drawback of the pedal kickback. I run a 32T oval ring which may help here too. I did all shuttle top to bottom runs on Burke Mountain with the recluse. These are fairly chunky and at times steep DH runs. Compared to the uzzi which is more point and shoot you are more active on the recluse as you have to pay attention where you put the wheels. It's more like floating over the rough than plowing through it. It's a lot of fun even if it's not the fastest way down it is very thrilling as you have so much control and precision. Also it's the best technical climber I have ever seen and a great sprinter. I found the review from the Bible of Bikes to come closest to my experience with the bike. I am currently on a coil which added a lot of suppleness at a cost of some agility.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have serious reservations about Andre's "suspension analysis" graph.

Are you really interested in the Anti-Squat (%) while using the 10T cog?

"Anti-squat values range between 120-130% on bigger cogs and peak at 200% on smaller cogs, which is excessive. High anti-squat values can cause extension of the suspension under hard pedaling."

Seriously, people. This is a Mountain Bike, not a Road Bike. I will not be going uphill on a flat surface road at 25 MPH trying to keep up with the rest of the pack. In fact, going downhill on a hardpack road is the only time I use the 10T cog. Is that a situation where I will be concerned about anti-squat?

I call BS on this analysis being applicable to the mountain biking I experience.

2017 Intense Recluse Elite - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

PS If you are the type who tries to keep up with the skinny-framed, non-suspension road bikes as they race up a smooth road, you could experience some difficulty with pedal efficiency if you do not have a good suspension lock-out system. Other than that, I see no relevance to a VPP suspension.

mtbr member
    I've had people try to show me a spreadsheet on their phone that their bike was better than mine, or tell me they would never ride this design or that one because of something but they could never back it up with skills to merit that their favorite bike was so much better. If you took the top 50 bikes of today and rode number 50 back to back with number 1 from five years ago I bet today's 50 would blow it away. Some people just hate to think there a bike out there that's .0001% better than the one they are riding. I ride with a few guys that are on 6-7 year old bikes that are in serous need of upgrade or at the very lest service and can smoke me out on the trail on any given day. That makes me want to become a better rider not want a better bike. But anyways I bet the recluse is in the top 50 of today, maybe top 10

mtbr member
    There is a place for engineering analysis up to a point. Similar to suggested Sag settings on a bike, it provides a decent starting point when looking at bikes if you have any idea what they mean (which most people don't). After that you have to get on the bikes to see how all the forces work together and then make a final decision. Intense seems to be focusing their designs outside of the "standard". Both the Recluse and Tracer have non standard suspension designs/leverage ratios. It is not a bad thing and really the only way to get ahead of the curve. Otherwise they would just be following everyone else.

Also, just because they finished the curve doesn't mean the person doing the analysis thinks it's relevant. They are just showing all of the data. If it didn't show the 10T people would be crying about that.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Agreed with those 2. ^^

Reviews are great as are data from analysis but none of that accounts for much until you get a solid ride on the bike to determine what that data means to you.

I see a lot of people riding bikes that the media has slammed yet those riders seem to be having a blast and say they love their bikes.....

mtbr member
    Unfortunately for a lot of us we have to purchase five or six grand plus bikes without being able to demo them.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Unfortunately for a lot of us we have to purchase five or six grand plus bikes without being able to demo them.
    Good point...

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    OK seriously. Is it even possible to have a water bottle with the X2/ piggyback shock?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I'm usually buying a bike before there are any reviews or online comments. But I do get shop deals but I'm still forking over my money give the the shop customers, other employees and fellow MTBR brothers my thoughts on bike shawg. I try to have every one ride a bike before they buy it. But we kind of know how a bike is going to ride before we buy it, right? Well some times. The numbers don't tell the whole story do they and sometimes a trate of the bikes handling comes out of left field that we hate and can't adjust with component change. This fall a customer was pumped to order and buy the new trek fuel EX 27.5 plus wheels/tires. He couldn't adjust his riding to the low BB, we tried putting 29ers on it to raise the BB, longer fork, but he still hated it for how he rides a bike. He was a retired pro XC rider, very strong but never really learned how to carry speed and pump on/over chunky section on trail. He would smash his peddles/cranks and went over the bars. Funny thing was he rode it before he bought it and loved and raved about how well it handled. I thought the fuel EX was a demon going DH with 29 wheels but to each his own. Than he ordered a HighTower and has been in love with it.

Wilks are you in the New England area? I'm sure I can get you on a recluse med/large for a day or two.

I'm kind of surprised that there has been a few reviews that the recluse is harsh on chunky stuff. Ya it's only got 140 mm in the back. I wonder if that's what they are comparing it to other bikes of its kind. If I was comparing it to the SC Bronson I'd say the Bronson was over more plush and a little more active climbing. But I felt the recluse peddled with more energy and firmness and had had more of a ramp up on larger impacts. I liked around 25-30% sag with a little more high speed compression. I think this bike is tailor made for a coil shock. I can't wait to hear when someone drops the coin a Push 11-6 but I bet a fox coil is all you'd need
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    I'm close to the NY border but in NJ. A lot of our terrain is similar to somewhere like Lynn Woods. I had Turner 5 Spots for several years. 140mm is fine particularly with stout wheels and a 36. I've a few friends on Primers but none on a Recluse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have owned a Recluse for 2 months now and agree with what has been posted above. It is an interesting review, but people who buy bikes based on a suspension curve graph make my head spin. I rode 6 or 7 different bikes to see how they worked for me, on the trails I ride and then made the choice to plunk down the $$$$. I bought a bike one time without demo'ing it, I hated it, could never get the suspension right for me, and sold it in under 10 weeks. That was a waste of time and money, not to mention what my wife had to say.

I live in Colorado and it is a great bike for here. We climb a lot and that was something I really noticed when I demo'ed the Recluse, the bike climbs well. I rode other bikes that descended like an 18 wheeler who lost it's breaks, but they did not climb well.

My 2 beefs with the bike are the water bottle bolts, which are a insult, as you cannot fit anything in there, and the fact they generally only sell complete bikes in the US (I did not like their build kits)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cgauss View Post
    I have owned a Recluse for 2 months now and agree with what has been posted above. It is an interesting review, but people who buy bikes based on a suspension curve graph make my head spin. I rode 6 or 7 different bikes to see how they worked for me, on the trails I ride and then made the choice to plunk down the $$$$. I bought a bike one time without demo'ing it, I hated it, could never get the suspension right for me, and sold it in under 10 weeks. That was a waste of time and money, not to mention what my wife had to say.

I live in Colorado and it is a great bike for here. We climb a lot and that was something I really noticed when I demo'ed the Recluse, the bike climbs well. I rode other bikes that descended like an 18 wheeler who lost it's breaks, but they did not climb well.

My 2 beefs with the bike are the water bottle bolts, which are a insult, as you cannot fit anything in there, and the fact they generally only sell complete bikes in the US (I did not like their build kits)
    Frame only options are available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Maybe they have more inventory in now, and it has changed, but they have not been willing to sell frame sets in the US for newer models. I sensed that for new bikes they only want to do complete builds, sure every now and then they may let a frame go, as they did have frame only pricing. Once a model has been out for a while, then they will sell frame only. They may now be selling Primer and Recluse frames.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    OK seriously. Is it even possible to have a water bottle with the X2/ piggyback shock?!?
    Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy View Post
    Anyone?
    I've got no chance of fitting a bottle to a medium Recluse with a DVO Topaz.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234