mtbr member
    May 2010

Intense M1 Main Pivot Bolt Stuck ?

I bought a second hand intense m1 and its obviously old but the owner said he replaced the bearings a few times, this is fair comment as the swing arm moves as if it was brand new but im wanting to respray this bike and for the life of me i can not get the bolt undone on the main pivot where chain stay meets the main frame.

Ive snapped an allen key, I have left wd40 on if for ages I not sure what else to try ?

Ive used heat before many moons ago but have heard its bad for the metal since so i dont want anything to do with it

So dirtand mud was hiding the set screw from me i have now taken this out and i managed to turn it freely for about half a turn and now its gone back to being so tight it wont budge.

Help ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone ? I've managed to get the bolt out of the thread on the swing arm and that moves up and down on that side and obviously the bolt has moved that far but it just will not come out through the other side of the frame even thou its moving freely this is annoying, someone must have experienced the same issue i cant be the only person in the world ?

mtbr member
    Probably burred the thread/bolt turning the bolt with locking grub screw done up tight.

Any damage is already done, so would use a M12 bolt or bar and just tap the bolt through with a nylon mallet.

Also maybe ensure there is no pressure/side load being applied through the frame and rear triangle pivots against the bolt.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks so much for the reply its a tough one thats for sure, hope i get this sorted without needing a new pivot or frame grrrr

mtbr member
    Did you get it out? If I recall, the mini link has the threads that the bolt threads into. If you get past the mini link, you can tap the bolt out the rest of the way.

I agree you probably burred up the pivot bolt by turning it with the set screw tight (I did the same thing once).

If you need a new pivot bolt its probably only about 20 bucks. SST cycles on EBay has all kinds of Intense parts like that.

Sticker Kits, Derailleur Hangers items in SST Cycles store on eBay!