Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Intense Launches Hard Eddie Carbon 29er Hardtail

Here's the link to it...and it looks nice.

Intense Launches Hard Eddie Carbon 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    I was expecting Mr. Intense to start a thread about this as he has in the past on new launches. It definitely looks promising for those in the market for a racy 29er.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    so people are excited to buy a made in taiwan carbon frame just because it says intenese on the downtube? what happened to made in the usa?

what's with the upward sloping top tube btw?

Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    so people are excited to buy a made in taiwan carbon frame just because it says intenese on the downtube? what happened to made in the usa?

what's with the upward sloping top tube btw?
    What's with your hard on for Intense? Like a woman scorned...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtim View Post
    What's with your hard on for Intense? Like a woman scorned...
    what hard on? is this just a flag waving forum? simple question, what's the allure of a carbon intense? and why a race 29er hardtail? when has intense been synonymous with xc racing? and why carbon and why offshore production? jeff has always bragged about jobs in the us, these carbon offerings aren't doing much for that

what hard on? is this just a flag waving forum? simple question, what's the allure of a carbon intense? and why a race 29er hardtail? when has intense been synonymous with xc racing? and why carbon and why offshore production? jeff has always bragged about jobs in the us, these carbon offerings aren't doing much for that
    Really? You clearly have it out for Intense. In the end it's just a bike. Ride it... Or don't.

mtbr member
    Really? You clearly have it out for Intense. In the end it's just a bike. Ride it... Or don't.
    no answers? really???

no answers? really???
    Is this Mtnbkr123?

mtbr member
    Is this Mtnbkr123?
    hahaha. naw, i'm not crying they are too expensive or that they sold out using vpp after the horst link

mtbr member
    so people are excited to buy a made in taiwan carbon frame just because it says intenese on the downtube?
    Sounds like Intense has reached Apple status. Slap your logo on whatever and people will buy it!

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    Sounds like Intense has reached Apple status. Slap your logo on whatever and people will buy it!

Indeed!

The "buy our mass market product, if you want to stand out from the crowd, just like all the others", seems to have merged to Intense as well

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I was expecting Mr. Intense to start a thread about this as he has in the past on new launches. It definitely looks promising for those in the market for a racy 29er.
    Mr. Intense's too busy working on the Carbine SL 2013 (adding ISCG tabs), so I did him the favor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The owner commented about this a couple of months back.
    1. As Intense is a small company, they have to stay competitive, hence why all the carbon products.
    2. People/riders are buying carbon bikes, so Intense's jumping on the band-wagon to get more sales/cash.
    3. Why Taiwan? The owner gave a paragraph explanation on this as well. Basically due to the 'big boys' (as he calls them - Trek, Specialized, etc), it's nearly impossible to have competitive prices for carbon bikes made in the US. So Intense partnered with SEED in Germany and that's where they build them, not Taiwan (I could be wrong though, I don't own a carbon bike yet).
    4. when has intense been synonymous with xc racing? It's all about staying in business in a very competitive market, so I see why Intense is marketing different types of bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgonz View Post
    3. Why Taiwan? The owner gave a paragraph explanation on this as well. Basically due to the 'big boys' (as he calls them - Trek, Specialized, etc), it's nearly impossible to have competitive prices for carbon bikes made in the US. So Intense partnered with SEED in Germany and that's where they build them, not Taiwan (I could be wrong though, I don't own a carbon bike yet).
    You are wrong. They are made in Taiwan. SEED is just an engineering company. If I understand Jeff right, he did the geo, suspension, frame lines and such and SEED worked out everything carbon like the layup patterns etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    They are made in Taiwan. SEED is just an engineering company. If I understand Jeff right, he did the geo, suspension, frame lines and such and SEED worked out everything carbon like the layup patterns etc.
    I am pretty sure you are correct.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Wicketed
    For it's intended purpose it looks really good to me. There's not a huge amount of 1kg 29er that have that level of choice for the dropouts. Pity the fork it QR though - Niner have stolen a march on Intense there.

Intense have gone about producing a carbon frame by sourcing expertise to SEED. They are probably manufacturing in Taiwan not just because of costs but because that's where the carbon manufacture expertise it also.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes its made in Taiwan. So what! Intense is still making their aliminum bikes in Temecula, CA. So stop crying about it. We should be thankful they haven't followed others who outsource their manufacturing overseas and still has the audacity to charge the same amount for their bikes.

But eventhough this bike is not made in the States, its got something that can not be made anywhere else. And that is its simple but seductive lines. Its just gourgeous. One look at it and you know that passion was the framework of its design. Now that is something us Americans can be proud of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Agree- even though I am from Australia! I reckon it looks sensational. And I like the slackish HT compared to the others carbon hard tail 29ers on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
    And that is its simple but seductive lines. Its just gourgeous. One look at it and you know that passion was the framework of its design.
    As much as I like Intense, but based on aesthetics I would buy a Blur LTc over the Carbine if I would be in the market for a carbon VPP trail bike. That double bend top tube on the Carbine just doesn't do it for me.

mtbr member
    Thumbs up
    Intense is back in the XC-Racer-Scene.
    We expect the full suspension equivalent as a 650!

Maybe it`s helpful
    Intense Cycles Factory visit - Pinkbike.com
    Last edited by tacoma; 04-15-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Link added

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dufferin View Post
    yes its made in taiwan. So what! Intense is still making their aliminum bikes in temecula, ca. So stop crying about it. We should be thankful they haven't followed others who outsource their manufacturing overseas and still has the audacity to charge the same amount for their bikes.
    x-2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This bike is exactly what I'm looking to buy. Rigid 29er singlespeed for XC racing. I have an order in for the Specialized Stumpjumper SS, however, it's on backorder for another month or two. I might have to check out the availability of the Hard Eddie and cancel my Specialized order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    so.. no reviews yet?

mtbr member

intense hard eddie is money

built up the intense hard eddie this past week and rode it for the first time at Fountainhead regional park in Fairfax Station, VA. Here is a video someone posted of this trail Fountainhead Jump Trail - YouTube

fast trail with lots of bermed turns, descents, and decent amount of climbing not shown in this video as well as a nice rooty, sandy, rocky section. the best trail in the local area of NoVA IMO for fast xc with a bike park feel.

So much for the trail. I had bought this frame since it looked so damn cool and had some cool features like internal cable routing, tapered headtube, 12 x 142 thru axle and it was a hard tail made by Intense and a 29er. Yes, a 29er, never thought I would own one, but after riding the Cranky Monkey xc race in Quantico on my ibis mojo hd 2011 with the fox 34 talas, rc4 coil, all mountain build at about 29 pds in weight (an awesome bike as well), it made me think I would be able to shave some time if I rode what everyone else rode (a hard tail and a big wheeler).

The overall impression of this bike is that it is simply outstanding, I was pleasantly very surprised by it. Getting the right size frame is key. I am 5 10 and this is a medium frame. The bike accelerates, corners, and sticks to the trail very nicely. Planted, stable, and probably absorbs the trail almost as well as my 6 inch travel bike going over rooty rocky sections. there is some feedback from the rear end as it does not have suspension, but obviously these are two different bikes. I bought it for racing, and this bike shaved quite a bit of time off my usual lap time when I rode it. It made the trail seem effortlessly easier that when I was pedalling up it with my HD, and rightly so. I will officially time a lap here soon and post the different times, but overall, this bike is very impressive. It does all three things very well: corner, climb, descend (CCD). A new acronym to go with my fox fork and intense hard eddie. Last but not least, this bike feels like I am riding a 26inch bike with rocket boosters attached. The thought in the back of my head that I am riding a 29er dissapeared after about 2 minutes.

Great job on this bike Mr Steber. Thanks.

P.S. 1 I bought the bike from FilzbuiltBicycles (Randy Filz) www.filzbuiltbicycles.com in Woodbridge, VA. A great guy that I have worked with over the last 3 yrs to build a number of bikes (2009 SS2, 2009 Spider 2 VPP, 2010 Uzzi, 2010 Tracer2, 2011 951) and some other custom bikes. Highly recommended and a pleasure to work with.

P.S. 2 IMO, riding this bike as compared to my Ibis Mojo HD shaves about 5-7 min time. I am providing an approximation since fitness has changed for me and I have lost some power when I did the timed run on the eddie. I can say this, though, I am passing riders on climbs on 26ers, everytime! nice! Currently dreaming of a carbon Intense Tracer 29er to have as the killer bike of trail, all mountain, and park bikes! This would be an awesome bike with 6 inch travel. Damn, I hope Jeff Steber has similar thoughts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intense Launches Hard Eddie Carbon 29er Hardtail-p4pb8597373.jpg  

Intense Launches Hard Eddie Carbon 29er Hardtail-p4pb8597391.jpg  

Intense Launches Hard Eddie Carbon 29er Hardtail-p4pb8597392.jpg  

Last edited by jmacovei; 09-24-2012 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice build. I am interested to hear the timing against your HD since that is what I am riding right now and would like to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast