Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

For Intense crew... the site

Why there isn't any clue for shock sizes at the site, is it a nuclear secret?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Opinion deleted due to harassment and intimidation.
    The following suggestion was ignored, but will remain.

Sam is the man:

"I can guarantee all of you that each inquiry/issue/etc that crosses my desk is handled with my full personal attention. I invite everyone to email me at any time at Sam@Intensecycles.com or call my extension at 951-296-9596 x28. Even if it's just a "hello!" I need that sometimes anyways."
    Last edited by grizfish; 10-31-2013 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=grizfish;10770343]Components have always been fluid in nature. They come and they go. They change due to technology, price, availability, intended use, etc.

Shock size isn't a component.... its a dimension on the frame just like head angle, BB height, top tube length......

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    [QUOTE=azmxr177;10770974]
    Quote Originally Posted by grizfish View Post
    Components have always been fluid in nature. They come and they go. They change due to technology, price, availability, intended use, etc.

Shock size isn't a component.... its a dimension on the frame just like head angle, BB height, top tube length......
    Exactly... Intense's website is far from helpful at times. Good thing I've only owned 5 of them. Its not difficult to include this information with the frame specifications.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, pardon me ladies!

I made an effort to help and you follow up by arguing semantics.

"Changes were made because I have learned from several posters that shocks are not components and that each frame has one and only one shock size. However, I will continue to use the shock of my choosing if it works for me."

The people at Intense are amazing. They retain their sanity after dealing with such dastardly creatures.
    Last edited by grizfish; 10-31-2013 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, pardon me ladies!

You asked for shock size. Does that mean diameter of housing, diameter of rod, length of rod travel, overall shock total length from fully compressed to fully extended? Shocks are components, whether you like it or not.

The people at Intense are amazing. They retain their sanity after dealing with such dastardly creatures.
    Wow.... Shock size is, eye to eye and stroke length....that's all, pretty simple. Yes, shocks are components, you can change out shocks all day long, but the SHOCK SIZE will not change. By your reply you don't know what size your own shock is....it's good to know, how do you set your sag if you don't now your stroke?
    A seatpost is a component, if someone wants to know the diameter of the seat tube you wouldn't say "a seatpost is a component, people change them out all the time, so the size of the seat tube isn't important".
    And I have no problem with Intense.....

mtbr member
    I agree that the Intense web site lacks some vital information but shock size hasn't been the one I've missed. When I was shopping bikes I noticed that they included wheelbase, standover, reach and stack on a hit or miss basis, making it tough to compare bikes.

mtbr member
    I thought I saw shock size for the Tracer 29 awhile back??

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by azmxr177 View Post
    Wow.... Shock size is, eye to eye and stroke length....that's all, pretty simple. Yes, shocks are components, you can change out shocks all day long, but the SHOCK SIZE will not change. By your reply you don't know what size your own shock is....it's good to know, how do you set your sag if you don't now your stroke?
    A seatpost is a component, if someone wants to know the diameter of the seat tube you wouldn't say "a seatpost is a component, people change them out all the time, so the size of the seat tube isn't important".
    And I have no problem with Intense.....
    +1 Azmxr
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Give this guy a break, with the spacers and high seat post. Being taller you have to sometimes make these "unsightly" adjustments to make the bike fit. I wish Intense made an XL. But they don't, so like me, being 6'3 on 26 inch wheels, sometimes you dwarf your bike even though it technically fits. I will say that whenever I photograph my bike I always drop the seat! Bike is beautiful! Now go take if off some jumps.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    We're not talking about adjustable things like seatpost.... We're talking about fixed dimensions of the FRAME.

mtbr member
    The Intense website tells you which rear shock comes with the bike. My carbine SL comes with a Fox Float CTD. Not difficult to look this up on the Fox website.
    FLOAT CTD Boost Valve w/Trail Adjust Bike Shock | FOX
    Everything you need to know is there. How easy was that?

Front shock? Well, that does get a bit more complicated, since unless you buy built up, you have to figure that out for yourself. But Intense gives us a clue on the website, via showing us the Carbine SL is 26", and their figure illustrates Geometry with 120 - 150 mm travel. So we should select a 180 mm travel fork? Well, since this is not a downhill bike, that's a bad idea. How about a single crown fork, either 120 or 150 mm? Any brand that impresses you will do. Or any brand that you can find conveniently nearby at your local LBS. Or how about a Fox 32 Talas 26 120/150? 32 TALAS 26 150/120 FIT CTD Trail Adjust Bike Fork | FOX
    That's what I have on my bike. Rocket science diploma not required.
    Last edited by CarbineSL; 10-28-2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Forgot link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbineSL View Post
    The Intense website tells you which rear shock comes with the bike. My carbine SL comes with a Fox Float CTD. Not difficult to look this up on the Fox website.
    FLOAT CTD Boost Valve w/Trail Adjust Bike Shock | FOX

Front shock? Well, that does get a bit more complicated, since unless you buy built up, you have to figure that out for yourself. But Intense gives us a clue on the website, via showing us the Carbine SL is 26", and their figure illustrates Geometry with 120 - 150 mm travel. So we should select a 180 mm travel fork? Well, since this is not a downhill bike, that's a bad idea. How about a single crown fork, either 120 or 150 mm? Any brand that impresses you will do. Or any brand that you can find conveniently nearby at your local LBS. Or how about a Fox 32 Talas 26 120/150? 32 TALAS 26 150/120 FIT CTD Trail Adjust Bike Fork | FOX
    Whats the eye-to-eye and stroke of your rear shock?
    By the way, the 1st post was about shock size, not forks or "front shocks" as you called them.

mtbr member
    Just because it says what kind of shock it come's with doesn't tell you sh!t....Rear shocks come in a lot of sized for different frames. My shock for example, is a 8.5"x2.5". How easy was that?

mtbr member
    I'm trying desperately to land the Intense site as a project. That site drives me absolutely crazy with its nonsensical design and random links. ANd unreadable text. And lack of real information. And lack of past model info. And lack of EVERY BLOODY THING A WEBSITE IS SUPPOSED TO DO>

Once I finish the Hadley site, they are tops on my list. Wish me luck
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks....and good luck, we appreciate it!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, pardon me ladies!

You asked for shock size. Does that mean diameter of housing, diameter of rod, length of rod travel, overall shock total length from fully compressed to fully extended? Shocks are components, whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbineSL View Post
    FLOAT CTD Boost Valve w/Trail Adjust Bike Shock | FOX[/URL]

Clueless.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    clueless.
    thank you!!!

Lord of the Chain Rings
    I think they website is there for selling T-Shirts... Just kidding! I love Intense and have just about every T-Shirt they ever made. I hope Jeff S. doesn't cut me off from owning any more Intense frames!

Ironically, as of this posting, the website appears to be down.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    "Clueless."

Thanks for the enlightenment. But, I'm still calling your mother.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    "Clueless."

Thanks for the enlightenment. But, I'm still calling your mother.
    I'm not the one that posted a bunch of crap out of my ... then got mad when I was corrected. It had nothing to do with symantics just you and the other poster being clueless.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    The eye to eye is easy to measure. Mine is 7.785. Because the same eye to eye can have a different stroke, (as shown on the Fox page, there is a 7.875 X 2.00 and 7.875 x 2.25) it may be hard to figure out the stroke. The fox Tech center
    WebHelp
    says that the weight of the shocks will be different:

0.64 lbs. / 290 g
    (6.75" x 1.75", no reducers)

0.67 lbs. / 303 g
    (7.25" x 2.00", no reducers)

0.70 lbs. / 317 g
    (7.75" x 2.25", no reducers)

So a 7.875 x 2.00 will weigh 303g, and a 7.785 x 2.25 will weigh 317g
    Get a scale and weigh your RP23.

mtbr member
    You're just pulling sh!t off Fox's website. Fox can't tell you what size shock will fit witch Intense frame. My frame takes a DIFFERENT shock SIZE than yours!!! Some people want to know the shock SIZE for a specific INTENSE FRAME..... Give up, you don't what WE'RE talking about.
    And don't lecture me on shock size, I know what the F I'm talking about.....I can tell you every shock size off all my bikes from the past 10 years off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by azmxr177 View Post
    You're just pulling sh!t off Fox's website. Fox can't tell you what size shock will fit witch Intense frame. My frame takes a DIFFERENT shock SIZE than yours!!! Some people want to know the shock SIZE for a specific INTENSE FRAME..... Give up, you don't what WE'RE talking about.
    And don't lecture me on shock size, I know what the F I'm talking about.....I can tell you every shock size off all my bikes from the past 10 years off the top of my head.
    Don't waste your time, they are the type that buys a bike and never change anything so have no concept on why you'd need to know the shock size for a specific frame before buying.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    IMO: If you are unable to determine the length and travel you want for your shock then you will remain in virtual limbo with 2tone and azmxr. The devil will have them forever criticizing and complaining about the things others do to them. They are condemned to never be able to determine anything on their own. They will remain oblivious to reality into their own eternity.

Be advised: This is not necessarily a bad or uncommon condition. It is often referred to as being "fat, dumb and happy."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast