mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Intense Carbine 27.5 vs Spider 29 Comp

Looking for a real world comparison of a Carbine 27.5 and Spider 29 Comp. I currently ride a Carbine 27.5 and really love the bike. I also think the Spider 29 Comp is a beautiful frame and have been thinking of adding it to my stable. I'm curious how someone who may have ridden both would compare them. Both bikes would be set up with comparable components and wheels. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I guess I'm going to have to answer this one for myself

Building up the Spider 29 Comp as I post this

mtbr member
    I will be eager to hear your review. Last year i had the 275 carbine and love it(but not the fox34) this year i have the tracer carbon. I'm thinking of selling my m9 because i only ride it a few time a year and the t275 rips on the dh tracks. But I'm thinking of building a more xc trail bike. So trying to figure out if it should be the carbine 275 or 29er or the spider comp???

The t275 kills the trails where i live, climb climb climb descend. But i ride with some friend that ride very fast on their 29er stump jumper evos on very rollie trails and the t275 is a bit much sometimes So I'm looking for a light snappy bike that can still hold its own jumping and riding the tecky dhs
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I also will await this review. Like vice grips, I have a T275 and would like to have a lighter, snappier climbing, long ride machine. Something that I can do regular 20+ miles on.
    Awaiting your review.........

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Friday is my day off so I stopped by the lbs on the way to the trail. Pretty much finalized the specs and it looks like about 2 weeks til she's built. July 4th weekend ride report I hope

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Pivot makes great looking bikes too, but I'm partial to intense.

mtbr member
    Peter, take your pansy ass dw link crap to the ibis board!!!

My friend just opened a shop and picked up pivot, I rode the aluminum version. Not overly impressed, but the Mach 6 rode nice

Dissolved member
    Just admit the Mach 4C looks very cool.
    I am not interested in the new Pivots though - I hate proprietary shock mounting hardware. Still waiting for the Bronson/Tracer killer from Ibis!

mtbr member
    It looks ok but, I think the person that designed was drinking to much of that plum booze that you guys drink. Its a little to wavy for me, and I dont know if its a small frame but those wheels look huge! like 29ers(yuk!)

There's a medium mach6 you can parking lot test, in a few weeks there should be a small that you can take in the woods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Getting closer to the answer. Looking like a 4th of July maiden voyage
    Intense Carbine 27.5 vs Spider 29 Comp-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404169924.643563.jpg
    Nox AM-29 wheels being laced to I9's

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Fresh off the work stand
    Intense Carbine 27.5 vs Spider 29 Comp-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404429570.919792.jpg
    Intense Carbine 27.5 vs Spider 29 Comp-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404429630.419430.jpg
    Hopefully the weather cooperates and I get out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    2 rides on the spider at my local spot so far. Honestly the bikes are very similar, but there are a couple of differences. Both bikes are built up very similar which I guess helps blur the lines between the 2. If I had built the spider up with a 120 fork maybe I would have felt a bigger difference. With the builds I have these are my initial observations. The Carbine spins a little easier on the steep climbs but I like climbing on the spider better. The Carbine 27.5 is definitely easier for me to throw around in tight sections. There is a down hill section on my usual loop that has a few tight techy switchbacks and the Carbine knifes through there easier. The Spider smooths out roots and rocks better and for some reason has better small bump compliance (maybe the pike???) First 2 rides were a little wet and slick so no noticeable difference in speed(strava), but I have a suspicion that I will be marginally faster on the spider.

As for aesthetics, the spider wins. I love intense bikes and have always thought they are some of the best looking bikes available. Both bikes will garner a lot of attention with the way I have them built up, but there is something about the spider that I just plain love.
    Intense Carbine 27.5 vs Spider 29 Comp-spider.jpg
    Intense Carbine 27.5 vs Spider 29 Comp-carbine13.jpg

mtbr member
    Very,nice! How much travel is the fork? Any one put a 150mm fork on one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

140 pike with 51 offset

mtbr member
    what's the weight of your spider comp?
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Just over 27lbs

mtbr member
    I have a ripley and a carbine 27.5 right now. I've toyed with the idea of selling ripley and going all in with intense and a spider comp. I just don't know about it.. the ripley is just so fast and climbs like an animal. But leaves a little to be desired in the descending category... kinda wish the ripley was 130-135mm rear to be the perfect all around bike much like the spider seems to be..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A very good friend that I ride with 90% of the time has the Ripley. It's a great bike, but I prefer the Spider. We swapped for a little bit on a ride and I thought the spider was a little more plush and definitely more confident. His bike is a little lighter, but I didn't notice it climbing. I think it comes down to what you like. I prefer a bit more slack head angle and travel for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    I wish there was a place to demo around me. My ripley is just so fast but i would love to try a spider as i like the travel adjust in the rear and i know the VPP will descend better. What fork does your buddy have on his ripley? Im running 140mm xfusion trace and im fine with the 68.5 ha. A littke better descending would be the only thing i would desire
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

He's running a fox 32

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The spider 29 comp in black and red looks mint, wish I'd have bought one now instead of my SL, be better for my riding I reckon too.