mtbr member

Intense Carbine 27.5: Rear tire rubbing seat tube on bottoming out?

Just got my Intense Carbine 27.5 frame. Rode on it for 3 rides and noticed that the rear tire is rubbing the seat tube when I hit some jumps. Using a Maxxis Minnion DHR 2.3, 27.5 which is a pretty standard tire for this type of bike and is not big. It bothers me because it is not like I was using a big volume 2.5" tire and the frame has issues like this with standard tires. The pics show the tire actually touches the seat tube when the air is let out of the shock and frame is compressed. Pictures are sideways.

Anybody have this problem too? Pics?

Intense Carbine 27.5: Rear tire rubbing seat tube on bottoming out?-img_0083.jpgIntense Carbine 27.5: Rear tire rubbing seat tube on bottoming out?-img_0081.jpgIntense Carbine 27.5: Rear tire rubbing seat tube on bottoming out?-img_0095.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Keep in mind this frame was a converted 26" bike and despite intense naming it 275, it wasn't designed from the ground up as a 27.5 bike. This compromise means your rear tire choices are a bit limited. I have had my Carbine 275 for over a year now and the largest tire I can safely run on the back has been a Maxxis Ardent 2.25 or the Neo-Moto 2.3. If I compress the rear end, when set in the long travel mode, the Ardent just barely clears the seat tube. there is a decent tire size reference thread in the 275 forum section that may help you find a tire you like. I don' have any experience with the Minion tire, but I have tried a lot of front and rear combos and the tires vary in diameter from brand to brand even when the stated size is the same, good example is the Neo-moto vs the ardent, the 2.25 ardent is taller than the 2.3neo - for the record its not wider as the link to tire size states. 27.5 Tire Size Reference

Good luck

mtbr member
    Regardless if it was converted or not, I think the frame should be able to use standard tires without clearance issues. It could of been and should of been worked out in the engineering and design of the dropouts if it is a common problem. Especially on such an expensive frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Intense Carbine 27.5: Rear tire rubbing seat tube on bottoming out?

I've had mine for over a year without an issue. I'm running nobby nic 2.35 and have plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just curious because from the picture your tire looks unusually close to the seat tube for 27.5 x 2.3 tire when shock is compressed.

Do you have a picture of your 27.5 x 12 drop out hanger?? (verifying if you have a 26 or 27.5 drop out hanger)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeclimb1 View Post
    Just curious because from the picture your tire looks unusually close to the seat tube for 27.5 x 2.3 tire when shock is compressed.

Do you have a picture of your 27.5 x 12 drop out hanger?? (verifying if you have a 26 or 27.5 drop out hanger)
    I do have 27.5 dropouts. They are stamped 27.5 on them. I did install my rear wheel on a buddy's Intense Carbine 27.5 that was exact same size/frame, and he had more clearance. It wasn't much maybe 1/8" to 3/16" more clearance, but enough clearance so it would not rub on the seat tube. My frame is just not to the same tolerances and specs that his frame is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would suggest to take a picture of your buddy's frame with your rear wheel and your existing picture above and send it to Intense. Hopefully Intense can suggest a fix or offer a warranty replacement....

mtbr member
    Try swapping the shocks too. Could have slightly different i2i or slightly more stroke/travel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Let the air out of the shock on my Carbine 275 today, and I was glad to see there's plenty of rear tire clearance. The rear tire does hit if I disconnect the shock, but the shock bottoms out long before the rear tire hits with the shock connected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Let the air out of the shock on my Carbine 275 today, and I was glad to see there's plenty of rear tire clearance. The rear tire does hit if I disconnect the shock, but the shock bottoms out long before the rear tire hits with the shock connected.
    What tire are you running? How much room did you have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Intense Carbine 27.5: Rear tire rubbing seat tube on bottoming out?-tire-clearane.jpg
    hard to see real cleary, but this is a Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.25 with about 30% wear. Full compression on suspension, set on the long travel mode, medium frame. There is about 3mm of space between tread and seat tube.

So not sure if that qualifies as "plenty of clearance" or not, guess that's up for interpretation. regardless the Ardent is a tall tire and does clear, on my bike, I would be hesitant to try the Schwalbe NN 2.35 as some have done. Been very happy running the ardent or Neo-Moto 2.3, which is shorter than the ardent.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    What tire are you running? How much room did you have?
    Oddly enough, I have a 27.5 x 2.25 Maxxis Ardent on mine as well. I didn't measure, but eyeballing it showed a good 1/2" of clearance. Size L 2013 frame. I previously had a Nobby Nic 2.35 and never noticed that rubbing either.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Oddly enough, I have a 27.5 x 2.25 Maxxis Ardent on mine as well. I didn't measure, but eyeballing it showed a good 1/2" of clearance. Size L 2013 frame. I previously had a Nobby Nic 2.35 and never noticed that rubbing either.
    Crap! So when I did this I had just gotten my bike back from the LBS. Well, I was giving it a once over before going for a ride this afternoon, and noticed that the shock was mounted in the 5.5" travel position! Much was my surprise, as I always run it in the 6" position!! Not sure what's going on here, front brake caliper was loose too....

Soooo, I switched it to the 6" travel position, and sure enough there's maybe a little less than 1/4" clearance.

Sorry for the bad info. I need to get to the bottom of this now....

mtbr member
    At least you guys have some tire clearance. 1/4 to 1/2 inch is pretty good.