mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Intense 6.6 SS DHX 5 Coil setup.

Just built up a 6.6 SS with a DHX 5.0 Coil shock and it's trying to kick me over the bars. I haven't been out riding in a while, so I'm thinking some of it is just down to bad technique/lazy riding - but still.

I'm around 70kg, prob 71kg once the bladder pack is filled etc. The sag seems about right, spring rate is right, rebound is set as I'd normally have it - I just noticed the back of the bike buck-a-roo-ing today on the first ride.

Wouldn't mind picking everyones brains on shock set-ups for this frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That shock on that frame is just terrible. You won't solve it I'm sorry to tell you. Sell it on eBay and get a vivid coil or a ccdb if the budget allows.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    That shock on that frame is just terrible. You won't solve it I'm sorry to tell you. Sell it on eBay and get a vivid coil or a ccdb if the budget allows.
    This guy is feeding you a load of crap. If it is bucking over the bars then turn the rebound down. If you are still having issues then the shock may need a rebuild. Is the DHX 5 the best shock in the world? No. But there are 10s of thousands out there on lots of bikes and they work pretty well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have same bike, same shock (with a DSP Ti spring) and no problems with jumping, bhopping or drops.While the adjustments and overall performance of shock isn't up to par with a CCDB or other shocks, I've managed to adjust the settings to work for me. I've ridden a friends bike with the CCDB and I'm almost certain it would enhance the performance of my bike, but unfortunately don't have the extra money to drop on one. Your DHX shock might have something wrong with it and need to be rebuilt, which in that case it might be more cost effective to buy a Vivid or CCDB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    This guy is feeding you a load of crap. If it is bucking over the bars then turn the rebound down. If you are still having issues then the shock may need a rebuild. Is the DHX 5 the best shock in the world? No. But there are 10s of thousands out there on lots of bikes and they work pretty well.
    Lol - I pitty you fool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Give it some more rebound damping and have you got the correct PSI in the can for your rider weight etc. I did not keep my DHX5 on for long but while it was on I thought it was pretty good. I've certainly no memories of buckerooing.

mtbr member
    Mine did the same when I dialled the rebound out the wrong way by accident, felt as though I had blown a damping seal.

Slow the rebound down to stop the back end bucking.

I am about 220 -230 lbs and running a 500 lb spring, seem to require the use of the slower end of the rebound range than when running a softer spring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wound the bottom-out right out, pumped the compression chamber up to 190psi and bumped the rebound round to about two clicks from full rebound. Seems to be a lot better. still miffed that I should need nearly full rebound.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow. I think I only ever had the bottom out half way and 125psi in the can. I weigh 195lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My shock must be shot then. Excuse to upgrade? Hmmm...

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by dans160 View Post
    Wow. I think I only ever had the bottom out half way and 125psi in the can. I weigh 195lbs.
    Wouldn't the DHX 5 coils also come with factory set limits on the adjustments much like Fox air shocks? That is, on one shock with a "fast" tune the slowest setting might be equal to half way through on another shock with a "medium" tune?

There are shocks where the adjustments really make a big difference. When I had a DHX 5 I thought I will never learn to tune shocks because I could feel so little difference between the settings. Later when getting an Elka I just noticed it's a Fox thing, limiting adjustment for a very narrow range so the user can't mess up things too badly (as long as the shock tune matches the frame).

So if you manage to get it to work right for you in one of the extreme positions or between them then you should be fine. Fully closed (lot's of rebound damping) does not come close to the "shock takes 1 minute to extend" I have on the slowest setting of the elka.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theador View Post
    Wound the bottom-out right out, pumped the compression chamber up to 190psi and bumped the rebound round to about two clicks from full rebound. Seems to be a lot better. still miffed that I should need nearly full rebound.
    Ignore where the dial is in its range and focus on how it rides! Who cares if it is 2 clicks or 30 clicks from some closed/open or where ever if it rides the way you want it too? How many turns of preload do you have on the preload collar? Does the shock make any weird swooshing noises when rebounding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No wierd swooshing sounds, the preload is about 1 full turn round. It seems to be riding OK now. Still recon could be better, having said that it's already riding better than I ever got my 6.6 to feel.