Intense 5.5 owners' short interrogation - cockpit specs
I am building the subject and need to pick the right stem and seatpost. So I'm asking for the info on your setup to build upon.
1. Framesize and fork travel.
2. Your stem lenght and rise. How many 5mm spacer rings are there on the fork's steering tube under the stem?
3. Your seatpost total lenght or (better) how tall is the sticking out part, from seat clamp to the saddle rails?
4. Does your seatpost have an offset, and is the saddle centered, shifted backward or forward?
5. What to your perception is your bike better fit for - climbing, descending or just all-around riding?
6. How tall are you? Inseam lenght is welcome but not required.
Please answer as many questions as possible but even one spec answer will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, I hope this info will be useful for many Intense owners.
P.S. I am happy to be in the club. Will post the bike pics and review as soon as have a chance to assemble and ride.
Commit or eat sh!t
Just sold my 5.5, but here were my specs:
1. medium, 130mm Fox Talas
2. 50mm, zero rise Thomson, and I used Chris King 5mm baseplate so fork won't hit the downtube
3&4. used Crank Bros. Joplin
5. better climber. headangle is a little too steep for serious downhill runs. okay for all-mountain riding.
6. 5' 10", about 31" inseam
Fearing the Reaper
Just got back from a ride... the 5.5 was shreddin' today. Enjoy yours.
1. Framesize and fork travel. Medium frame - fork set at 140mm
2. Your stem lenght and rise. How many 5mm spacer rings are there on the fork's steering tube under the stem? 90mm X 5 degree. Standard CK crown race.... it's really close, but clears the downtube
3. Your seatpost total lenght or (better) how tall is the sticking out part, from seat clamp to the saddle rails? Thomson 410 post. 7.5 inches from the clamp to the saddle rails
4. Does your seatpost have an offset, and is the saddle centered, shifted backward or forward? Zero offset post, saddle centered, a little towards the back.
5. What to your perception is your bike better fit for - climbing, descending or just all-around riding? I'd call it trail bike feel, with a lot of XC nuances
6. How tall are you? Inseam lenght is welcome but not required. 5'10", 31 in.
Thank you guys!
I am also 5'10'', I could never imagine putting on a stem as short as 50mm. I have 90mm 5 deg. rise on my Klein Attitude, and that machine has the longest top tube on the market for its size and purpose, the 5.5 is shorter.
I will have the bike ready in 2 weeks - waiting for parts to arrive. I have a noname test-drive stem - 5deg, 110 mm. Will try with this first and see. Promise to report back as soon as I am back from the trail.
70 mm 0° thomson stem with 1 cm spacer and tall king race.
680 mm protaper carbon rizer bar.
140 mm talas rlc fork.
zero setback thomson 410 mm seatpost(6 fingers between lower end of the thomson writing and the seatpost clamp. no idea how much this is but it's the way i measure it;-))
i chose the stem as short as possible to still be able to climb the steep stuff here, because my woman won't drive me up the hills too often, but the primary goal of this bike is fun on trails and descents.
1. Medium 5point5, 145mm. Manitou Nixon.
Originally Posted by Fkuashum
2. 90mm. Thomson X-4 0º rise. 20mm. spacers under stem.
3. No idea what it's measurements are. I set it to fit me. I set the top of the seat to my inseam multiplied by 0.883 from the middle of the bottom bracket. ( So 32 X 0.883 = 28.25" ) I use this as a starting point and make small adjustments.
4. Non setback Thomson seat post.
5. With the 145mm. fork I find it pretty good all round.
6. 5' 10.5" ( 179cm. ) tall. 32" inseam ( 81.28cm. )
The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.
I have guven my new 5.5 FRO the first ride this weekend. The first impressions are:
1. I can not understand how I managed to negotiate all my favorite downhill cources without rear suspension! The 5.5 is very plush (a little bit lower shock pressure than advised) and stable.
2. 10 deg. 110 mm stem is too long and too high for my setup and preference with 20mm spacers under the stem. So I will probably buy 5deg. 90mm and play with the spacers.
Thanks to everyone who shared his setup! Will post the pictures to 5.5 photo album later.
Finished putting together my '08 5.5 EVP just a couple of hours ago. Took a couple of months to gather all the components that I wanted but it's finally here!
1. Medium frame and an '09 Fox TALAS RLC 100/120/140
2. Thomson X4 stem, 100mm, zero rise. One 5mm spacer underneath. Handlebar is currently Race Face Deus 660mm wide, 1" rise.
3. About 165mm from seat clamp to saddle rails.
4. Thomson Elite straight seatpost, no setback. Saddle pretty centered...slightly back.
5. Intended for more aggressive trail riding...haven't taken it out yet! Don't think it'll be much of a climber but a heck of a descender.
6. 5'9", 32" inseam, 175lbs.