mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Intense 5.5 Fox Float 140 mm dilemma

I have an Intense 5.5 EVP that I recently purchased a 09 Fox Float 140 RLC fork for. It currently has a Fox 32 TALAS RLC. I purchased the Float as I don't use the TALAS adjustment.

Here is my dilemma and I wanted any feedback from Intense users. I had to install a King tall baseplate (crown race) in order for the TALAS adjuster to cleer the frame downtube near the head. If you don't do this, the fork hits the downtube which is annoying. The problem I see is that this potentially changes the geometry as the additional 5 mm is around .20 inches of additional height. I compensated for this on the TALAS by changing the number of spacers on the stack under my stem. The new 09 has a new crown and it appears to sit even higher than the 07 TALAS which will result in closer to .25 inches of additional height.

I know I can potentially remove yet another spacer under the stem and even increase the sag on the fork to compensate, but wanted to hear from others who may have already delt with this issue. I really like the 5.5 but don't want to slow the steering to the point a sharp edge tool becomes a blunt instrument.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You're over thinking this. .25" has so little effect on head angle that you won't feel it. Put the fork on the bike and set your bar height to where you want it to be. If your bars are too high, get a new stem or a lower rise bar.

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

Flat Bar....

I recommend the salsa flat bar with 11 degree sweep on the 5.5. I also have a 140 RLC on my bike. The FSA headset on my bike provides just enough clearance...I voted down the talas as well. 140 RLC rides great. The flat bar helps me keep the front end down on super steep climbs...
    "Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an e-mail." - Eliot Spitzer, former NY state attorney general

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks! I rode it today and I agree that a flat bar or removing 1 spacer below the stem will help.

mtbr member
    Just finished putting together my '08 5.5 EVP tonight...finally! I had read many threads about how a Fox TALAS RLC fork won't clear the downtube but mine worked fine with a standard Chris King crown race. Perhaps the '08s were slightly different than the previous?! Have to admit that there is only about 10mm or so in clearance, but it works fine.

mtbr member
    I too went thru this same problem. I am currently still trying different scenarios. The one thing I have noticed is that it will not steer straight by itself (no hands riding). I guess this means it is slower???
    It's not the falling that hurts, it is the sudden stop at the bottom!