mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders

First post, been lurking for a while. I have been deciding between getting a Santa Cruz Bronson or a Spider 29 Comp. Two different bikes, I know, but since I already have a NomadC, I've decided to go with the Spider.

It appears I'm in between frame sizes on the Spider Comp. I'm 5'7", evenly proportioned, so the medium is just a little stretched out for me. I'll probably need a 50mm stem, and I won't be able to use the Reverb Stealth since it's not offered in 100mm lengths I don't think.

The small will mean running an 80-90mm stem. This will be my first 29er, and it sounds like it's preferable to go down in size when in between frames. True? However, I'd also like to keep my stem length fairly short. I'm wondering if anyone on here is in the 5'6"-5'7" range riding a Spider Comp, and what size it is, what stem, etc. I know a lot of this has to do with your personal measurements, but it'd be a start.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RollinDirt View Post
    First post, been lurking for a while. I have been deciding between getting a Santa Cruz Bronson or a Spider 29 Comp. Two different bikes, I know, but since I already have a NomadC, I've decided to go with the Spider.

It appears I'm in between frame sizes on the Spider Comp. I'm 5'7", evenly proportioned, so the medium is just a little stretched out for me. I'll probably need a 50mm stem, and I won't be able to use the Reverb Stealth since it's not offered in 100mm lengths I don't think.

The small will mean running an 80-90mm stem. This will be my first 29er, and it sounds like it's preferable to go down in size when in between frames. True? However, I'd also like to keep my stem length fairly short. I'm wondering if anyone on here is in the 5'6"-5'7" range riding a Spider Comp, and what size it is, what stem, etc. I know a lot of this has to do with your personal measurements, but it'd be a start.

Thanks.
    I am also about the same height as you and I went with a small Spider Comp 29 frame based from the feedback I got from Sam (from Intense).

I am in the process of getting the bike assembled and I am using a 0deg 70mm stem that I have from an old bike. I'll get you some updates once the bike is ready.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 5"8' and ride a small also with a 70mm stem. I prefer my frames small and this is a perfect fit for me. A medium would definately be too big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been riding Santa Cruz's so long and always am on a medium, but it looks like that won't be the case here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    going to extremes....

5.4.... Spider S.... 80mm Stem....

mtbr member

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders

I agree w/ the above, Spider Comp's run large. I'm 6'3" and usually use an XL but the L fits me better than any bike I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got the bike today and the 70mm stem fits good to me. I'll get you some more updates when I get to put some number of rides on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dromayn View Post
    I am also about the same height as you and I went with a small Spider Comp 29 frame based from the feedback I got from Sam (from Intense).

I am in the process of getting the bike assembled and I am using a 0deg 70mm stem that I have from an old bike. I'll get you some updates once the bike is ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-2.jpg  

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-1.jpg  

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-1.jpg  

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-2.jpg  

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-3.jpg  

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-4.jpg  

Input from Short Spider29 Comp Riders-photo-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I 1.70 meters (5 feet6 in) and got a medium, whit out trying. I have problems whit the height of the reverb and can not seem to find the sweet spot, I install a 50 mm renthal to shorten the reach, but I am still try to adapt to the bike.

Going with the medium was a mistake, My old intense 6.6 was a medium and my Mojo Sl is a medium too, I got this because I try a pivot 429 carbon and a yeti sb95 in small those felt great but experienced some foot rub with the front tire. I would say try before you buy if it is possible
    Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!
    and some may say
    Both can get your wife mad