mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hunting for VPP prototypes frame for collection *See Pixs

Hi guys, now that I've managed to locate the previous frame I'm looking for, and here I go in search of the other 2 VPP prototypes frames that came out in 2001-2002.

A cross-breed of the Haro-DHR turned into VPP.

The other is the prototype for 5.5, which has an un-conventional rear triangle and the shock was just located at the seat tube and top tube.

5.5 Proto:

Last edited by Sidekicky; 01-15-2009 at 03:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Upz

Last edited by Sidekicky; 01-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidekicky

The other is the prototype for 5.5, which has an un-conventional rear triangle and the shock was just located at the seat tube and top tube.

5.5 Proto:

I don't think this is an 5.5 proto. It is the proto for the Tazer VP! I did hear that the designer working on that bike later moved on to Avent Bikes and designed the single pivot Arson with same geo and swingarm layout (this V-shaped connection piece between seat- and chainstays).

Any chance you could post pics of the bikes in your collection?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Irider, you are half right and half wrong. This 01 prototype is used for salom @ sea otter which later paved the way for the 5.5. Tazer VP didn't came out not too long ago in 2007.. considering this is from 2001.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As for my collection:

My very first M1 back in 99':

Which I 'de-commissioned' in 2003 after I got my M1.

after which I managed to acquire 2 nice forks:

Initially I sent this SLX frame for powercoating to match my Manitou Millennium, but realized the color done was ugly and I didn't have the chance to build it a complete bike, sold the frame as a result.

So this is my latest current ride at the moment:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So now my plan is to see if I'm able to find the VPP salom prototype and install the Millennium on it, if not I'd just have to put it on my spare Identiti HT.

And the Manitou X-vert Carbon for the custom (not prototype) M1/uzzi hybrid which David K used it for racing......still waiting for the seller's decision though.

And last the Dorado for VPP DH Proto... else I'd mount it on the Uzzi DH and buy a used 5.5 to mate with the Manitou Sherman.

mtbr member
    Hi Irider, you are half right and half wrong. This 01 prototype is used for salom @ sea otter which later paved the way for the 5.5. Tazer VP didn't came out not too long ago in 2007.. considering this is from 2001.
    Nice collection!

The team was using the Tazer VP long before they became available. And it had a tube'd frame until the production model came out.

Check out this pic: the geo is slacker than that of the 5.5. And if you consider that the fork only has what looks to be 4" of travel, a 5.5 would be way steeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ah! Is that the prototype in raw state that's to become the one in my pictures? Yup, i can mark out that the fork is a Manitou Black ~ 100mm of travel.

And whats the bike on the top right corner of the magazine?

mtbr member
    I think so!

Don't know about the other bike, found that pic on PB a while ago. But I think it is one of those lightweight M1s that were raced by the team at a few events in 01. Front triangle looked like a beefed up Tracer, no monocoque. I was asking about this bike on here a while back but nobody seemed to know anything about it.

mtbr member
    I wish Jeff would chime in here and post some pics he has laying around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    I think so!

Don't know about the other bike, found that pic on PB a while ago. But I think it is one of those lightweight M1s that were raced by the team at a few events in 01. Front triangle looked like a beefed up Tracer, no monocoque. I was asking about this bike on here a while back but nobody seemed to know anything about it.
    I think this is the bike you are referring to:

I'm hoping to get my hands on it should the deal goes thru'

mtbr member
    I think this is the bike you are referring to:

I'm hoping to get my hands on it should the deal goes thru'
    Yes, this is the bike! Any more info on it?

Someone should start a page like yetifan.com for Intense! This would be awesome! Pics of production bikes, prototypes, PDFs of old catalogs, user bike gallery......
    Maybe something for the IC/RC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider
    Yes, this is the bike! Any more info on it?

Someone should start a page like yetifan.com for Intense! This would be awesome! Pics of production bikes, prototypes, PDFs of old catalogs, user bike gallery......
    Maybe something for the IC/RC?
    Yes...I remembered when somebody was interviewing on David K. (when he was racing for Intense) and asked on his bike. Its basically a beefed-up Tracer/Uzzi SL front triangle with the tracer seat mast on a M1 geometry, with the M1 rear triangle and 9" of travel. It is termed M1 SL (super light) back then.

Another bike to have is the M1 Tandem!

Note the 2 disk brakes at the front!

And not to mention on the love-it-or-hate-it M3 prototype:

Of which I'd still prefer to have the 1st VPP DH prototype in the first picture on my thread. There is also another VPP DH prototype which is basically a Uzzi DH but the 'downtube' is widen to accommodate a shock to be placed in-between.

Last edited by Sidekicky; 01-19-2009 at 11:47 PM.