mtbr member
    Oct 2011

How will a Carbine Sl ride compare to a SC Blur?

I'm curious about feedback about how a Carbine SL will ride compared to a SC Blur C. There are no intense dealers in my area, but I can demo a SC Blur C and wondering if they would ride the same. I currently have a 2012 Trek EX8 which I like a lot, but I almost feel like I'm "missing" something with the bike.

My brother-in-law has a Carbine SL (lives out of the area) and swears it's the greatest bike he's own. So I'm curious to see how it rides. I see that an online dealer has the Carbine SL on sale and the price is temping.

So does anyone have any experience on how the two bikes ride? Or is there anyone in the SF Bay Area (East Bay) area that would let me check out their Carbine at a local trail?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Maybe Wrench Science in Berkeley can help you. They are listed as an Intense dealer.

Wrench Science: Custom Bicycle Builder Online - Road, Mountain, Cyclocross, Track Parts

Let's Ride
    Hey Hobbs305,

I have to agree with your brother-in-law. I own a Carbine SL and it is my greatest bike ever.

I wrote a review awhile back. Check it out. Click here.

In the past, I have ridden a Blur but I was not impressed with the bike's geometry. Intense is well know for dialing in the geometry. The Carbine SL's handling is spot on. It is an excellent climber and descender. Also, I think Intense's virtual pivot point (VPP) design will be a big step up from the Trek you are currently riding. You won't be disappointed with the Carbine SL. Go for it. Good Lucků

mtbr member
    FWIW...intense is blowing out the carbine SL's right now. They have them for $1,595 on their website & wrench science had them for $1496. (I ordered one from wrench science last week... Should be here Tuesday).

-Obviously i cant give a ride report but can give my reasons for choosing.
    I was looking for a longer travel xc/trail bike. (I just sold an Intense Spyder 2 that I felt had too steep geometry & also have a Knolly Chicoltin & SC Driver 8.) I was targeting a 68 degree head angle & 4.5-5.5 lb frame weight for this build.
    -my short list was Knolly Endorphin , Blur TRC, Mojo slr, and crop of 275 bikes.
    -I'd be lying if I said the price wasn't the deciding factor. At $1495 I could over look a few short comings.
    -I wanted a 12x142 but will run a 10x135 DT Swiss RWS. Should be relatively stiff.
    -The carbine SL has a bit of a reputation for being less stiff than some trail bikes. My take is its a light weight frame & there is some give & take. My gut is the flex will be manageable & no worse than the spider 2 I sold.
    -wish it had stealth dropped post routing
    -I am anticipatin a fast ride with fairly quick acceleration. I am also anticipated the bike will use its travel fairly easily.
    -I am putting a 150mm revelation up front & an xx1 build. Should be a 22-2lb build range.

Intense does a good job with their VPP. The SL should fall between the Blur Xc & Blur TRC. The SL was never a great seller at full price considering the QR axle & few other quirks at $2800 full price. At $1495 the quirks are worth overlooking. Just know what your getting. A light weight xc/trail bike closer to the xc end of the spectrum but with some added travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Koertle - thanks for the info. Good review also, very informative.

String - thanks for advice. I agree, the price is what is tempting about the Carbine SL. But I had not heard the reputation that it was not as stiff as other trail bikes, iteresting. Would the Carbine be stiffer than the SL?

I ask because I'm 6'00" about 215 lbs (225-230lbs with gear) and wonder if the Sl would not be stiff enough for me reagardless of price.

I do have a sell one of my bikes (Trek Slash 9) before I could purchase a Carbine.

Thanks again for all the feedback!