mtbr member
    Dec 2005

How much can my Uzzi SL handle?

I have an Uzzi SL (from 2001? I am not sure) and it rides great but I am asking myself how much it can handle. I have heared the swingarms of these things tend to break easy.
    Here is a picture of my bike, although it currently has a Pike on it instead of the shown Fox Float. It can be set to 140mm travel. In the rear I have 115mm travel.
    I have a kind of chainguide on there, the LRP. Of course this bike has the famous adjustable seattower.

I know my question is difficult to answer but just try to explain what you think it can handle. Dont say anything if you dont know the frame very well, I am waiting for experts to answer this.

I would say the maximum of this bike is enduro / trail / light freeride. I dont really like talking in terms because they are pretty vague so I would say drops of about 50cm or so.
    What do you think?

And is it the setup which holds it from tough duty or the frame? Which of the two is the weakest link?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DukeNukem3D; 01-10-2006 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Its not about the frame

the real question is - what can you handle?
    I rode this frame for more than 3 years. trail,downhill, urban... you name it.
    the frame handle 1.8 m drops to flats!!! (although with noticeble flex in the rear) and nothing happend. I even did some drops of about 4 foot to flats with the main pivot bolt broken - I felt some unreasonable flex in the rear but only when I got home and check the bike - I discovered the broken bolt,still, nothing got damaged!!!!
    50 c"m drops are no issue, its a walk to the park for this frame.
    If you are a talented rider, you should make out alot from this frame.if not, take it easy, still only 4.5" in the back, which is not very forgivin if you make mistakes.
    now I a proud owner on a 2003 slx which are the most incredible ride I ever tried.

rain rain go away...
    50cm = 20".... i think any bike can handle this w/o a hiccup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You were doing 1.8m (6 foot) to flat drops with this frame? That cant be good.
    50 cm would be fine I think but I probably most frames can handle that.

I also wanted an SLX but these things are a little bit too heavy after all. I already have a M1 for that kind of duty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

yes indeed

and let me remind you all that it was defined by Intense as a freeride rig at the time.
    you can do up to 5 feet drops to flats with no worries at all, and the frame w'ont make a sound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyg
    and let me remind you all that it was defined by Intense as a freeride rig at the time.
    you can do up to 5 feet drops to flats with no worries at all, and the frame w'ont make a sound.
    Thanks for the confirmation!
    I thought it was the SLX which was meant for freeride and the SL which was meant for crosscountry and enduro use only.

Someone from Intense can confirm Guyg and make things more clear in here?

By the way, I have fixed a Pike in my bike:
    Last edited by DukeNukem3D; 01-12-2006 at 05:42 PM.

mtbr member
    I had one for a few years. (think mine was a y2k one)

I did 5' to pretty much flat a few times, which about as much as I wanted to take (more wrists than aything - Fox Talas have their limits too). I also ragged the ass off it on most of the Alpine DH courses for two weeks a year. The rest of the time it got used as a heavy trail bike.

The reasons I got rid of it -1) I was breaking pivot bolts pretty regularly - they'd just give up mid ride - looked like fatigue, 2) If I landed a jump anything but perfectly square and at the top end of the cassette, the mech would end up stuffed in the rear wheel & I'd need a new mech hanger, rear mech and a good wheel true. The last time it happened I was doing the far side of 30mph and ended up off the trail slaloming through the trees sat on the stem...Put the wind right up me. and 3) the lack of saddle adjustment was starting to get to me. I could ride fine, but if I had to remount on proper steep stuff, it got hairy. 'Shore wasn't fun either.

That said, I loved riding it and had some truly great times on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey John,

Thanks for the story. Your bike looks nice. As you can see I had a Fox fork at first but in the serious stuff it was a bit too weak I think. So a Pike suits it better.

About your 3 issues:

I am familiar with the broken bolts. Didnt have any myself yet but if it happens I will try to make a solution to it since I know Intense can be a bit slow with these things. FSR systems give a hard time on the bolts. I dont think there will be real solutions to it. The newer Intenses also have it I think.
    You say when you jump but not all goes well your derailleur ends up in your wheel?? Thats really bad but is that really an Uzzi SL issue? Something with the chainline maybe?
    I was thinking about using a race derailleur like a Dura Ace or something but then I got X9 from SRAM. I did that because the derailleur used to hit my frame, doesnt do it with the SRAM though!
    I dont really understand what you mean with the seattower problem. Is it that you dont want to change the tower all the time nbecause it is so much work? And with shore you mean north shore trails?

I am Dutch so my english isnt good you see.

That looks nice too were you are riding. Cant see it but it looks like it could be a 5 feet drop.
    Austria has some places which look a lot like your photo.

mtbr member
    He means that he cannot lower his seat enough due to the interupted design.
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNukem3D
    Hey John,

Thanks for the story. Your bike looks nice. As you can see I had a Fox fork at first but in the serious stuff it was a bit too weak I think. So a Pike suits it better.

About your 3 issues:

I am familiar with the broken bolts. Didnt have any myself yet but if it happens I will try to make a solution to it since I know Intense can be a bit slow with these things. FSR systems give a hard time on the bolts. I dont think there will be real solutions to it. The newer Intenses also have it I think.
    You say when you jump but not all goes well your derailleur ends up in your wheel?? Thats really bad but is that really an Uzzi SL issue? Something with the chainline maybe?
    I was thinking about using a race derailleur like a Dura Ace or something but then I got X9 from SRAM. I did that because the derailleur used to hit my frame, doesnt do it with the SRAM though!
    I dont really understand what you mean with the seattower problem. Is it that you dont want to change the tower all the time nbecause it is so much work? And with shore you mean north shore trails?

I am Dutch so my english isnt good you see.

That looks nice too were you are riding. Cant see it but it looks like it could be a 5 feet drop.
    Austria has some places which look a lot like your photo.
    1) Funny how Turners, Spesh, Titus et al never seem to break bolts. All mine broke in exactly the same place - the start of the thread, which just happens to be in the clearance gap between the two pivoting pieces. That's just cr@p design.

2) The jumping thing was weird. I could go as big as I liked, no problem. Then all of a sudden I'd do something pretty small (say 18"), be in a smallish sprocket, and somehow the mech would end up in the wheel. I think what happens is that under sudden compression the top run of chain goes slack, gets caught by the tyre then that in turn tears the mech apart. Either way, its not a problem I've had on other bikes.

3) I can't lower my saddle enough. I had maybe 2.5" between "up" (bottom of the post level with the little hole in the seat tower) and rizla clearance on the piggy back.

Pic is Swiss Alps btw. No drops, but a STUNNING piece of singletrack...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    1) Funny how Turners, Spesh, Titus et al never seem to break bolts. All mine broke in exactly the same place - the start of the thread, which just happens to be in the clearance gap between the two pivoting pieces. That's just cr@p design.

2) The jumping thing was weird. I could go as big as I liked, no problem. Then all of a sudden I'd do something pretty small (say 18"), be in a smallish sprocket, and somehow the mech would end up in the wheel. I think what happens is that under sudden compression the top run of chain goes slack, gets caught by the tyre then that in turn tears the mech apart. Either way, its not a problem I've had on other bikes.

3) I can't lower my saddle enough. I had maybe 2.5" between "up" (bottom of the post level with the little hole in the seat tower) and rizla clearance on the piggy back.

Pic is Swiss Alps btw. No drops, but a STUNNING piece of singletrack...
    Very interesting about the problems you have encountered. As I have been riding one since 2002' with no problems. I am curious as to the exact bolt you are talking about and where it broke? As far as the chain flying into the rear wheel this has never happend to me either. It does have considerable chain slap, but I hear this is a common problem with this design. Nothing that a good chain guard wont fix.

mtbr member
    I went through a number of lower shock bolts until I changed to a one piece shock bushing, but the really irritating one was the main pivot behind the BB. If it went trail side I'd have to take the RH crank off to get the broken bit out. As above, they always snapped just where the thread started on the shaft of the bolt. As the threads are cut rather than rolled, there's a stress riser there to begin with, add in the fact that when the bolt is installed the start of the thread is situated where the washer is between the BB and the swingarm, so the point of highest shear loading, and you've got a perfect recipe for a broken bolt.

My bikes hate me!
    I went through a number of lower shock bolts until I changed to a one piece shock bushing, but the really irritating one was the main pivot behind the BB. If it went trail side I'd have to take the RH crank off to get the broken bit out. As above, they always snapped just where the thread started on the shaft of the bolt. As the threads are cut rather than rolled, there's a stress riser there to begin with, add in the fact that when the bolt is installed the start of the thread is situated where the washer is between the BB and the swingarm, so the point of highest shear loading, and you've got a perfect recipe for a broken bolt.

Is the Intense bolt (main pivot) a specialty item or is it a standard s/s socket head cap screw?

If it's a standard, get a bolt say 5mm longer and grind off the extra threads. This will provide you with a longer shoulder and should resolve the prob. If it's breaking where the threads begin (near the bolt head) get a much longer bolt and grind-off what you dont need. What you want is just enough thread to acheive proper penetration and torque.
    If it's a speciality bolt, I guess none of this really matters.

My bikes hate me!
    OK..I went and looked at my SL to make sure I knew what the hell I'm talking about.
    I do not recommend this! I'm not for modifying a $1600 frame.
    The only way I see to remedy the problem, if your breaking alot of them, is to drill-out the threads on the swingarm and use a 10 mm longer bolt and a nylon lock nut on the outside. This would eliminate the shear load being focused at the threaded part of the bolt. (since the threads will now be outside the swingarm rather than between the swingarm and the frame pivot)
    You may have interference with the drivetrain and the nut. I dont know for sure.
    Just an idea. But like I said before I do not recommend this.
    I have never broken my pivot bolt and I do 3-4' drops every ride. I only weigh 150lbs. though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranberry
    Is the Intense bolt (main pivot) a specialty item or is it a standard s/s socket head cap screw?

If it's a standard, get a bolt say 5mm longer and grind off the extra threads. This will provide you with a longer shoulder and should resolve the prob. If it's breaking where the threads begin (near the bolt head) get a much longer bolt and grind-off what you dont need. What you want is just enough thread to acheive proper penetration and torque.
    If it's a speciality bolt, I guess none of this really matters.
    When I asked Intense UK about them, they said they were a speciality item. They also wanted £25 ($44) a bolt at the time. I got a local engineering co to knock me up 4 for £40... (this would also explain why the threads were cut rather than rolled)

The bolt has a plain shank except for the last 1/4"(threaded) which is where it screwed into the far side of the swingarm. It was this last 1/4" that snapped off every time.

I broke one, pretty much every 9 months on the dot, regardless of type/amount of riding done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Too bad, I have read all this a couple of times but cant make much sense of it.
    What can I conclude from this topic? That there are unsolved problems with the linkage bolts and making or letting them made my own is not a great idea either because they are likely worse than the original? Paying big time and get new ones is not too good either, because they cost a fortune.

I am sorry, I am not American but European and knowing Intenses communications with distributors here, I am obliged to say that it makes Intense look a lot worse than they are in the US. Not even mentioning the price difference here!

Maybe not so polite to ask but how heavy are you, John?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Too bad, I have read all this a couple of times but cant make much sense of it.
    What can I conclude from this topic? That there are unsolved problems with the linkage bolts and making or letting them made my own is not a great idea either because they are likely worse than the original? Paying big time and get new ones is not too good either, because they cost a fortune.

I am sorry, I am not American but European and knowing Intenses communications with distributors here, I am obliged to say that it makes Intense look a lot worse than they are in the US. Not even mentioning the price difference here!

Maybe not so polite to ask but how heavy are you, John?
    I insulted him I guess?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ...sorry been out the office for a couple of days....

10stone/140lb/63kg. So not exactly a pie monster....
    No problem!

That is quite light! I dont know how these bolts break so easy with you on it.
    I dont know if you can tell me answers to the post I did before the one you replied on.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I insulted him I guess?
    ...sorry been out the office for a couple of days....

10stone/140lb/63kg. So not exactly a pie monster....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is kinda weird, I asked the same question on Ridemonkey and they said they would do any jumps with it. They said it is an XC bike only!

I am seriously confused...
    Last edited by DukeNukem3D; 02-02-2006 at 08:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This is not mine,but I had to share it.Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with posting this photo,can't make it larger?
    " width="549">

Now where did you get that photo? An UZZI-SL turned into a tractor now thats some funny sheit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the bike is forsale in the mtbr ads

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

I think that the John Deer scheme is pretty cool. And not a bad deal considering the parts group. You would definately get noticed out on the trail and I bet alot of looks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    I think that the John Deer scheme is pretty cool. And not a bad deal considering the parts group. You would definately get noticed out on the trail and I bet alot of looks.
    With all respect, that bike is really an insult to the brand Intense and the model Uzzi. It is ugly of colour and what the *&*( has the Uzzi got to do with John Deere?

Can we please get ontopic here? I really want some more answers to my question especially now Ridemonkey and you guys have very different opinions about the Uzzi SL....

err, 27.5+
    Back on track...

I ran my 2000 Uzzi SL as 2 seperate builds in the 8 months that I owned it. First as an XC/AM rig with an air shock and a 4" Z1 fork. Fantastic fast trail bike. About 3 months in a stick caught the rear mech and snapped off the hanger. As it didn't have a replaceable type I sent the whole frame to Intense for a new paint job, new hardware, new bearings, new rocker link, new chainstay.

When I got it back I built it up with a Fox RC shock, Fox Vanilla 125rlc fork, D321 wheelset, dh tires, etc. I rode the bike like this for a few months before selling it. It rode like a pig. Very fast downhill, but painfull on the flats and uphill. I raced it dh a couple of times, dirt jumped on it, and did a bunch of urban and drops. It took everything in stride. I did many drops in the 4-6ft range, most to flat. No problems. It makes a very capable short travel abuser IME.

FWIW I am about 220lb(90ish kg?)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Back on track...
    That sounds cool. Do you have a picture of your bike?
    And did you destroy the hanger with a Shimano or SRAM derailleur?
    I have another question. Why did you use a Fox RLC for DH and a Z1 for XC?
    I would choose the Z1 for DH and tough stuff I think.
    220 is 100 kg so you were close.

Thanks!

err, 27.5+
    That sounds cool. Do you have a picture of your bike?
    And did you destroy the hanger with a Shimano or SRAM derailleur?
    I have another question. Why did you use a Fox RLC for DH and a Z1 for XC?
    I would choose the Z1 for DH and tough stuff I think.
    220 is 100 kg so you were close.

Thanks!
    Couple of pictures attached.

Snapped it off with a shimano. I never ran a sram on it, but in retrospect I think a sram would work better with the low horst location of the bike. Shimano's make a ton of noise as they smack against the pivot. Sram doesn't pivot at the bolt, so they would stay clear a bit better.

The Z1 was a 1999 or 2000, only had rebound adjust and 4" of travel (more like the current marathon 100mm forks than current Z1). The Fox was the rave with all the trimmings and 5" of travel. FWIW I think the vanilla turned out to be more of an xc fork. It worked great for trails, but bottomed even with stiff springs on bigger drops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks cool.

I thought there were some Intense workers on this forum, can any of them please help a bit here in describing what this frame is made for? Thanks.

Looks cool.

I thought there were some Intense workers on this forum, can any of them please help a bit here in describing what this frame is made for? Thanks.
    I don't work for Intense and so for as far as how much can this frame handle. That is a question, I ride mine VERY hard over big rocks with 3'-4' Huck's quite regularly. And have been for four years with no problems. I weigh 200 lbs. if that gives you any idea. And as for the year of your bike you are correct in guessing it's a 2001'. Hope this helps. It's too bad someone from Intense hasn't chimed in on this one.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 02-21-2006 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah it helps! Sorry for the late reply but I did not get a mail that my topic had been answered and checked it now and saw your reply. The more people tell me what they do with it the better. I havent seen any cracked Uzzi's yet but I have heared the upper chainstay sometimes cracks. As you wrote down, I would really like Intense to state some kind of 'purpose' for this bike. It would make it easier because I hear from some that it is an outdated freeride frame and others that it is a pure XC frame and again others saying you could almost huck 'em. I would say there is a WORLD of difference between those three.

Yeah it helps! Sorry for the late reply but I did not get a mail that my topic had been answered and checked it now and saw your reply. The more people tell me what they do with it the better. I havent seen any cracked Uzzi's yet but I have heared the upper chainstay sometimes cracks. As you wrote down, I would really like Intense to state some kind of 'purpose' for this bike. It would make it easier because I hear from some that it is an outdated freeride frame and others that it is a pure XC frame and again others saying you could almost huck 'em. I would say there is a WORLD of difference between those three.
    Well I bought mine new in 02' and it was the Intense version of an all mountain trail bike. A cross between a Tracer for XC and an uzzi-slx which is considered free ride. In otherwards it is designed for very aggressive trail riding. Some hucking but nothing huge on a continuous basis. The uzzi-slx would be the more free ride hucking machine. The uzzi-sl fills the gap between a lightweight xc rig and a heavy free ride rig. Hence the term aggressive trail bike[all mountain].

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    I've got an Uzzi-Sl, a 2000 model I believe. It's been a great bike and served me well. I just ordered a 6.6 frame and need to sell my uzzi if anyone's interested. I'll be posting it in the classified section when I get time to clean her up and take some pics.
    With the exception of the swingarm pivot bolt, Intense's quality is second to none. I would guess you'll blow out shocks long before you have the frame break.
    To replace the swingarm bolt, I made a shaft with 6mm internal threads on both sides for 6mm S.H.C.S. and it works great. I'm a machinist by the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Uzzi DH Enduro Swingarm

I've got an Uzzi DH with the Enduro swing arm, which I believe are the same chain & seatstays as the Uzzi SL. Since I bought it in 98 its done inumerable 4' drops and a few 6' ones. I did hear from the intense importers that the chainstays with wheelbase adjustment tended to crack at the around the shorter wheelbase settings (mine is fixed at the longer setting with just one set of holes). I've had a fair few broken pivot bolts too, I dont think in my case they are due to big drops, but the main pivot bolt becoming slightly lose allowing the swingarm to rock slightly, stressing the bolt. I recently bought a replacement pivot bolt from intense and this latest bolt was a different design, previous bolts were waisted, with a very thin center section, (my bolts always break at the end of the thin section) the new bolt is a continuous thickness.

Hope someting in there helps you out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Furious_George_ii
    I've got an Uzzi DH with the Enduro swing arm, which I believe are the same chain & seatstays as the Uzzi SL. Since I bought it in 98 its done inumerable 4' drops and a few 6' ones. I did hear from the intense importers that the chainstays with wheelbase adjustment tended to crack at the around the shorter wheelbase settings (mine is fixed at the longer setting with just one set of holes). I've had a fair few broken pivot bolts too, I dont think in my case they are due to big drops, but the main pivot bolt becoming slightly lose allowing the swingarm to rock slightly, stressing the bolt. I recently bought a replacement pivot bolt from intense and this latest bolt was a different design, previous bolts were waisted, with a very thin center section, (my bolts always break at the end of the thin section) the new bolt is a continuous thickness.

Hope someting in there helps you out.
    Sounds alright George!
    I dont know if the swingarms are the same, could you post a picture of your bike?
    Mine has 2 holes in the swingarm for setting the wheelbase. Yours only one?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Here's a pic

Not sure if you can quite make it out from this pic, but i believe the Uzzi DH & Uzzi SL share at least the chainstay & possibly the seatstays.

No wheelbase adjustment on my rear triangle, but I got the impression (from the Intense importers I spoke to just after I bought the frame) that this was a little unusual, maybe an oversight or special build?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Furious_George_ii
    Not sure if you can quite make it out from this pic, but i believe the Uzzi DH & Uzzi SL share at least the chainstay & possibly the seatstays.

No wheelbase adjustment on my rear triangle, but I got the impression (from the Intense importers I spoke to just after I bought the frame) that this was a little unusual, maybe an oversight or special build?
    No cant see it from the pic, sorry.
    On my frame you can disassemble the chainstay from the seatstay and then mount it to the hole next to it. So its not like horizontal dropouts. You can see it here:

Click it and look very good...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Smile I do know wha you mean

My Uzzi swingarm just has the long wheelbase setting. No forwad (short wheelbase) set of holes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thats probably because youve got a DH version because the Uzzi shown is an older one and really older than that is really really old! Yours has then placed on the end (compared to me long wheelbase)?

Members who have read this thread: 0