Thread: Hey Jeff.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hey Jeff.....

I see the Spider Comp has ISCG tabs. How come it got them but the Carbine didn't ?

my fun has a hurting
    ^ this. a thousand times this.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just run a chainring from Widgit.com.au and shut up already.

mtbr member
    the answer is xx1

Lord of the Chainrings
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Will those work with the pressfit bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think Mudd was quick on the draw and forgot about that part.

There are a few options for single ring use:

1. XX1
    2. Use an e13 or MRP guide that bolt to the front derailleur mount with a clutch derailleur
    3. Top guide and an old school tensioner as pictured below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I know there are ways around the problem though none of them are entirely satisfactory. My question wasn't how to run 1x10 - my question was what on earth they didn't spec the Carbine with ISCG tabs but then did the Spider Comp. Makes no sense to me.

Jeff - I know you're reading this - care to comment?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Maybe Jeff's too busy working on the carbon M9 to answer you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    I know there are ways around the problem though none of them are entirely satisfactory. My question wasn't how to run 1x10 - my question was what on earth they didn't spec the Carbine with ISCG tabs but then did the Spider Comp. Makes no sense to me.

Jeff - I know you're reading this - care to comment?
    We were introduced to the Shimano Shadow plus RD almost a year before they where officially on the market and had decided it worked so well that no one would ever want to run an inefficient chain retention device again , well I was wrong or a lot of people still haven't tried them or maybe I am just slow , reguardless people still want options so all newer trail models will have ISCG , the Spider 29 comp at 4.5 to 5" travel was developed in the last year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense View Post
    We were introduced to the Shimano Shadow plus RD almost a year before they where officially on the market and had decided it worked so well that no one would ever want to run an inefficient chain retention device again , well I was wrong or a lot of people still haven't tried them or maybe I am just slow , reguardless people still want options so all newer trail models will have ISCG , the Spider 29 comp at 4.5 to 5" travel was developed in the last year.
    Firstly, I'd like to thank you for responding. What sets Intense apart from the big guns is exactly this - getting to hear directly from the owner.

I am DELIGHTED to hear that all newer iterations of your bikes will have ISCG tabs. I hear you re clutch derailleurs Jeff but I race and hence cannot take the chance of a derailment (I run a clutch derailleur AND a chain guide). I ride a Tracer (not tracer 2) and desperately want to trade up to a Carbine but until ISCG tabs appear - I can't. This is my 4th Intense and I'd like to make a Carbine my 5th but to date have been unable to and until reading this was (regrettably) making a short list of other brands that catered to all my needs. As a Tracer owner - everything on my bike of value (most notably my dropper post and Cane Creek shock) are transferable from the Tracer to the Carbine so brand loyalty notwithstanding - this is a logical next bike.

Going for broke here but any clue as to when the updated Carbine might appear?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Thanks Jeff! Good to hear that! I like to have a lot of options available.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just out of curiosity, what is it an ISDG chain guide does that the components below won't do?

Widgit | Get the MTB chainring that will turn your ride into a lightweight mountain bike.
    e*thirteen components
    Accessoires

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Jeff,I believe in the clutch derailleur,was a tad skeptical at first but really wanted the Carbine.my original build was with a single chainring but really need a bashgard in my neck of the woods,and after much thought went with Xt triple,38t-26t with guard the front derail acts as a guide too.by accident this is the perfect set up for my intended purpose Enduros.have not dropped chain and this bike is hucked,dropped and gaped on average rides.iscg mounts are a nice option but not allways necessary!

my fun has a hurting
    i just wish i could run a taco bashguard instead of a chainring one... i know, im petty.

mtbr member
    I run an X9 Type 2 derailleur on my Carbine SL (1x10)...two rides so far, including San Juan, no issues. Virtually eliminated chain slap and no longer have any issue with dropping the chain in the front.

mtbr member
    Dup

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
    Maybe Jeff's too busy working on the carbon M9 to answer you?
    You spelled "Uzzi" wrong! . . .

mtbr member
    That is good to hear. I wanted a Carbine 27.5 but lack of iscg kept me away. I just sold my T2 frame and hopefully my Tazer VP will sell next. The question is how long do we have to wait?
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt View Post
    That is good to hear. I wanted a Carbine 27.5 but lack of iscg kept me away. I just sold my T2 frame and hopefully my Tazer VP will sell next. The question is how long do we have to wait?
    This! Looking to buy and would buy a carbine if it had tabs....otherwise I'll have to get a SC.

I would wait, but I have the patience of a tweaker looking for a fix. Addiction is a terrible thing. If I new when my fix was coming, I could try and hold out. Otherwise I will not be able to resist temptation and pull the trigger on a SC.

Please spare me the shame!