mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Help replacing lower-link bearing (tracer 2)?

Hey guys, I've been struggling with this for a while, and figured now was a good time to turn to the collective brain trust for help My lower link bearings have gotten a bit notchy, and I was going to replace them but cant figure out how to get them out.

I remove the 5mm allen bolt from the non drive side, but can't make progress from here. According to Intense, there's a cap that then needs to come out, again, on the non-drive side. I guess there's an 8mm bolt under that cap? How do you get this cap out? Intense Customer service told me to flip the bolt around and put it back in the hole, and give it a whack. Tried that but nothing happens. Even tried a bit of wd-40. What am I missing? Have you guys found any tricks or tips to get this dumb thing out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help replacing lower-link bearing (tracer 2)?-lower-link.jpg  

mtbr member
    I haven't done this on my T2 but I did completely break down the TVP and had a hell of a time getting one of the bearings out. Try something a little more potent like PB Blaster and be persistent tapping it out and it should go eventually. I ended up taking it to my Intense dealer to have the new ones pressed properly instead of ruining them trying to punch them in myself.

mda
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Check out this thread:
    Lower Link Bolt Removal?

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Im sure this answer is in the forums somewhere but there are hundreds thousands of pages. I have the lower link off and the bearings are showing. Do l just heat up the pivot and tap/pound out the bearings?

mtbr member
    I just tapped, pried, pounded, whatever it took to get them out without damaging anything else. Since I had to take it in to my LBS to have the new bearings properly seated, I would probably just have them do it if I was to do it again and save a royal PITA. I would be a little hesitant of using real heat though without a second opinion.

mtbr member
    I cant really remember but I think there is a 8mm allen bolt thats after the 6mm comes out that will remove the Axle (pivot) they are pretty easy to work out.....