mtbr member

Hard Eddie goes single speed

The optional SS G1 (single speed) dropouts are finally finished for the Hard Eddie
    Intense Blog » Hard Eddie goes Single Speed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-298.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-301.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-306.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-294.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-276.jpg  

mtbr member
    O m g

mtbr member
    Shhhhhhwow! That's simply beautiful!

Dude, got any schwag?
    Word on the streets is that this beauty is just a hair over 17 lbs. Holy guacamole!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A point of Clairification needed here: This slider system appears to be a through axle w/ 9mm QR axles?

Regardless of the size of the axle, I believe this is another awesome Carbon Race SS that has been brought to the table.

Thanks!

wuss
    Wow, what a beauty!

What's the fork?

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Wow, what a beauty!

What's the fork?
    Intense is making the rigid forks for them.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    A point of Clairification needed here: This slider system appears to be a through axle w/ 9mm QR axles?
    I also have questions about the axle. Is it a 10mm thru axle? I use CK funbolts, but I guess they aren't necessary with sliders.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Uber bike

Hi Jeff,

Wow congratulations on making one of the best looking bikes out there Jeff. The carbon Air 9 was a looker of the past, now the Hard Eddie takes the prize imo. The lines, the aesthetic of your creation here is top notch, first class. The flow of the angles, the poise and the promise it entices you with. You look at it, and the emotion is instinctively to want it, to need it and to buy it. You must be very proud of this baby, what an awesome looking bike.

Can anyone tell me, what is the A to C of the carbon fork? I’d really like to know where that head angle might be at as a rigid set up. And finally, can anyone tell me about the SS drop out. Does this drop out change the chainstay length? I know other changeable drop outs sometimes increase the CS length, is this the case here as well?

Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The bike is beautiful

But the dropouts are... not for real Single Speed

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    The bike is beautiful

But the dropouts are... not for real Single Speed
    Why not? Just curious.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Why not? Just curious.
    I am afraid that after a short time the bolt will not handle the forces that involved in SS,
    I had some other frames that had strange solution for SS and most of them didn't work.
    It looks too fragile.
    I will check by myself when I will get the frame.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Looks like tightening the axle captures the slider, so you'd have to overcome surface friction AND tensile strength of the set screw. I think it's up to the task. Let us know after you've stomped a few gnarly hills!
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    . . . .

Can anyone tell me, what is the A to C of the carbon fork? I’d really like to know where that head angle might be at as a rigid set up. And finally, can anyone tell me about the SS drop out. Does this drop out change the chainstay length? I know other changeable drop outs sometimes increase the CS length, is this the case here as well?

Nice!
    I called Intense and the A to C length of the rigid fork is 480mm which is equivalent to a 80mm fork. This drops the front end by about 20mm which changes the head tube angle by about 1 degree to 71.5

I didn't ask what the weight of the rigid is. Any one know?
    15 Enduro Expert 29, SW build - 27.6 lb
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for that CarmanDSL, good to know the changes. Wow, that is going to lower it, super stable and it should really rip smoothish turns. Seat angle will be better for climbing and with the weight coming down, it would rocket up hills. I just wish the head angle could still be under 71 deg, just so as you can do things you shouldn't be doing on a rigid better. haha

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how does single speed dropouts' adjustment deal with fixed brake caliper postion, since the mount is on the seatstay and not a part of the slider? Or am I missing something here?? I emailed Intense about this sometime last week, but got no answer.

Arek

mtbr member
    Anyone?.. Or namely - Intense, could you chime in on this? How does the wheel sdjustment work when the caliper position is not moving along with the axle?

Dude, got any schwag?
    OK I'll chime in. The SS drops are likely designed for perfect alignment in the exact middle. The small slider adjustments shouldn't throw pad placement far enough off to be a problem.

Nevermind the slot comment (edited out). There are slots, but they are for lateral adjustments. I wrote that pre-coffee.
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 02-18-2013 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    The SS drops are likely designed for perfect alignment in the exact middle.
    If this is the case - and it looks like it, as I can't see anything else at work here - then the whole system seems like an afterthought. Caliper mount should've been a part of the removable droputs from the begining. Not a very well thought out design. We might as well try to run a magic gear with std. droputs, really.

Sliding dropouts on a single speed bike should allow for chain tensioning and some adjustment of chainstay length as needed to run different gear combos. I can't see moving the axle forward or back off centre (where the std. dropout would be) by more than a few millimeters and it not affecting how the pads contact the rotor.

I was excited about Hard Eddie being a legitimate candidate for my new SS frame, but this completely disqualifies it as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Arek; 02-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think this might be the best looking SS out there. But I know someone who had the dropouts fail on the first ride. I wouldn't trust this design just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    I am afraid that after a short time the bolt will not handle the forces that involved in SS,
    I had some other frames that had strange solution for SS and most of them didn't work.
    It looks too fragile.
    I will check by myself when I will get the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just got mine built up, weighing in at a hair under 17 lbs. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, and I'm also unsure of the dropouts. The axle is sitting at the very rear of the dropouts and caliper position is not a problem. Simple to adjust chain tension. It's obviously an afterthought and it's not how I would design it, but as long as the axle stays put I'll be happy with it.
    I have a long weekend of riding coming up, so I'll post my thoughts after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard Eddie goes single speed-img_5413.jpg  

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmxer View Post
    Just got mine built up, weighing in at a hair under 17 lbs.
    One of the local lads brought in his new frame and fork for me to design a custom shaped frame protection kit and DAMN... my jaw hit the floor - I'd not seen it before and I fell in love. Nice lines, nice weight and really cleaver drop out options. Great job Intense! He's building it up gearded for now but I reckon he'll opt for single speed before long.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great looking bike, i am looking at building up a Yeti BigTop or one of these, what do you think the biggest front cog is it would fit? I run a 42/12 combination on my current bike. (flat landscape!) I dont want to go any smaller on my new build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just got mine built up, weighing in at a hair under 17 lbs. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, and I'm also unsure of the dropouts. The axle is sitting at the very rear of the dropouts and caliper position is not a problem. Simple to adjust chain tension. It's obviously an afterthought and it's not how I would design it, but as long as the axle stays put I'll be happy with it.
    I have a long weekend of riding coming up, so I'll post my thoughts after.
    Have your ridden this? How's it hold up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The hard Eddie is actually working out much better than expected. I wasn't expecting too much out of the dropouts.
    They add about 30 seconds to a wheel change because the whole assembly must be taken apart, but are simple to adjust. No tools are required, and for the most part it doesn't budge once in place. I change gearing pretty often, and am pretty critical of ss solutions. I almost took a hacksaw to my niner a9c a couple of times. Haven't had to adjust the brake caliper with gear changes either.
    As it sits now it's right at 16 lbs 5 oz:
    Niner fork
    Cannondale Hollowgram Cranks
    XTR pedals
    Enve rims on Extralite hubs
    Hope Race X2 brakes
    Thompson Masterpiece post/SLR carbon saddle
    Racing Ralph 2.35 front/Kenda Kozmik Lite II rear

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info. Are you riding a lot of single track on it? What type of rider would you consider yourself? Looking at using this frame as an SS Expert class race setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm 195 lb mid-pack expert class racer, and most of my riding is pretty rocky Missouri and Arkansas singletrack. I also race BMX and downhill (not on the Hard Eddie of course!) so I'm not afraid to get off the ground.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info! Makes me more confident in the dropout system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Wheel install on hard Eddie as dropouts

Thank you for the update , do you mean the dropouts have to be removed (all four bolts ) in order to install/remove the wheel. I just received my dropouts and that is the only option I see .... Really? Dying to hear your feedback.
    The hard Eddie is actually working out much better than expected. I wasn't expecting too much out of the dropouts.
    They add about 30 seconds to a wheel change because the whole assembly must be taken apart, but are simple to adjust. No tools are required, and for the most part it doesn't budge once in place. I change gearing pretty often, and am pretty critical of ss solutions. I almost took a hacksaw to my niner a9c a couple of times. Haven't had to adjust the brake caliper with gear changes either.
    As it sits now it's right at 16 lbs 5 oz:
    Niner fork
    Cannondale Hollowgram Cranks
    XTR pedals
    Enve rims on Extralite hubs
    Hope Race X2 brakes
    Thompson Masterpiece post/SLR carbon saddle
    Racing Ralph 2.35 front/Kenda Kozmik Lite II rear

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just the singlespeed sliding dropout inserts must be removed. Not the complete dropout system. No tools are required to remove/adjust the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Did the dropout system design change?

Just the singlespeed sliding dropout inserts must be removed. Not the complete dropout system. No tools are required to remove/adjust the rear wheel.
    THank you! However my inserts are not removal without tools, i was told by the dealer that the do system was only compatible with a 135mm thru axle hub, let me know if you have any thoughts. I will try reaching out to Intense before returning them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elmaqroll View Post
    THank you! However my inserts are not removal without tools, i was told by the dealer that the do system was only compatible with a 135mm thru axle hub, let me know if you have any thoughts. I will try reaching out to Intense before returning them.
    Post a picture. I've never heard of a 135 thru axle hub, at least not one similar to the 142 thru axle. You probably either have the wrong part or not all of the parts.

American Made!
    Built up SS for some upcoming endurance races, cannot wait!

17 lbs, 10 ounces of pure Intense Carbon single speed goodness!!

and yes, once I got to work after riding this am I did cut the steerer down...I was trying not to so I could use it on 2 different bikes but oh well!

Hard Eddie goes single speed-he-1.jpg

Hard Eddie goes single speed-he-2.jpg

Hard Eddie goes single speed-he-3.jpg

Hard Eddie goes single speed-he-4.jpg
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member

Hard Eddie goes single speed

Looks lovely, I'm considering a similar build myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

My Hard Eddie Build

Hard Eddie goes single speed-dsc_0020-2-.jpgHard Eddie goes single speed-specs.jpg

I'm really liking this setup so far. This was my first ground up build and it was quite the learning experience. So far I'm coming in at 20lbs on the dot.

Since these photos, I've updated to a more negative rise stem to try and get the front end down a bit. I'm at -15 now and its feeling pretty good.

Thanks to the following:

Don's Bikes of Redlands - For helping to fix a PF30 issue I ran into.

Project 321 - These folks are top notch and answered every dumb question I asked during this build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Couple More Photos

Hard Eddie goes single speed-dsc_0031.jpgHard Eddie goes single speed-photo-2.jpgHard Eddie goes single speed-photo-3.jpgHard Eddie goes single speed-ride-photo.jpg

A couple more things to add:

I really like the RDO seatpost. Its really comfy and absorbs a lot of chatter. I previously had a Thomson on the bike and could tell a big different with this seatpost.

I had to modify the singlespeed dropouts to fit the frame. Mostly just some filing to make the 90 degree edge of the dropout fit the rounded area of the frame.

The Endless Cogs spacer kits are really nice. I used my redneck alignment method as seen in the photos

The PF30 BB sucks. I won't go into the headaches it has caused. For now its working though....

The project 321 rear hubs use I9 internals and boy are they loud. They've gotten a little more quiet after riding for a while but its like riding with a pack of rattlesnakes in my backpack when I'm coasting.

The intense SS dropouts seem like a bit of an after thought compared to what others are doing with their SS configurations.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi folks, where can I purchase the G1 SS dropouts? I'm scouting all the online shops and I don't see it anywhere for sale.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by valas View Post
    Hi folks, where can I purchase the G1 SS dropouts? I'm scouting all the online shops and I don't see it anywhere for sale.
    Finally found a set in fanatikbike.com (I had to exclude G1 from google search to hit it!) That seems the only place that sells it right now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well, fanaticbike.com reached out to me and canceled the order. They say Intense don't make these G1 SS anymore :-(

Anyone have a spare or the one they don't use? I'd pay premium for a set - I was so stoked on riding my Hard Eddie as SS this winter :-(

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I tried to order a set from Intense and they didn't have any left. I just went and picked up a set from The Path in Tustin,CA. Not sure if they have anymore, it took awhile to find this set. They had the 135mm set in the wrong labeled bag. Might be worth a phone call. 714-669-0784. If they don't have any, I would try calling every Intense dealer you could to see if they had some in stock.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllrider View Post
    I tried to order a set from Intense and they didn't have any left. I just went and picked up a set from The Path in Tustin,CA. Not sure if they have anymore, it took awhile to find this set. They had the 135mm set in the wrong labeled bag. Might be worth a phone call. 714-669-0784. If they don't have any, I would try calling every Intense dealer you could to see if they had some in stock.

Good luck!
    Hey Jekyllrider, wanted to update that I ordered a set of SS dropouts from The Path. The folks in that store are stellar, shipped it for free. Thank you so much!