Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hard Eddie goes single speed

The optional SS G1 (single speed) dropouts are finally finished for the Hard Eddie
    Intense Blog » Hard Eddie goes Single Speed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-298.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-301.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-306.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-294.jpg  

Hard Eddie goes single speed-2013-ss-276.jpg  

mtbr member
    O m g

Bikes!
    Shhhhhhwow! That's simply beautiful!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Dude, got any schwag?
    Word on the streets is that this beauty is just a hair over 17 lbs. Holy guacamole!
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A point of Clairification needed here: This slider system appears to be a through axle w/ 9mm QR axles?

Regardless of the size of the axle, I believe this is another awesome Carbon Race SS that has been brought to the table.

Thanks!

wuss
    Wow, what a beauty!

What's the fork?

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop View Post
    Wow, what a beauty!

What's the fork?
    Intense is making the rigid forks for them.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by blum585 View Post
    A point of Clairification needed here: This slider system appears to be a through axle w/ 9mm QR axles?
    I also have questions about the axle. Is it a 10mm thru axle? I use CK funbolts, but I guess they aren't necessary with sliders.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Uber bike

Hi Jeff,

Wow congratulations on making one of the best looking bikes out there Jeff. The carbon Air 9 was a looker of the past, now the Hard Eddie takes the prize imo. The lines, the aesthetic of your creation here is top notch, first class. The flow of the angles, the poise and the promise it entices you with. You look at it, and the emotion is instinctively to want it, to need it and to buy it. You must be very proud of this baby, what an awesome looking bike.

Can anyone tell me, what is the A to C of the carbon fork? I’d really like to know where that head angle might be at as a rigid set up. And finally, can anyone tell me about the SS drop out. Does this drop out change the chainstay length? I know other changeable drop outs sometimes increase the CS length, is this the case here as well?

Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The bike is beautiful

But the dropouts are... not for real Single Speed

Dude, got any schwag?
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    The bike is beautiful

But the dropouts are... not for real Single Speed
    Why not? Just curious.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    Why not? Just curious.
    I am afraid that after a short time the bolt will not handle the forces that involved in SS,
    I had some other frames that had strange solution for SS and most of them didn't work.
    It looks too fragile.
    I will check by myself when I will get the frame.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Looks like tightening the axle captures the slider, so you'd have to overcome surface friction AND tensile strength of the set screw. I think it's up to the task. Let us know after you've stomped a few gnarly hills!
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    . . . .

Can anyone tell me, what is the A to C of the carbon fork? I’d really like to know where that head angle might be at as a rigid set up. And finally, can anyone tell me about the SS drop out. Does this drop out change the chainstay length? I know other changeable drop outs sometimes increase the CS length, is this the case here as well?

Nice!
    I called Intense and the A to C length of the rigid fork is 480mm which is equivalent to a 80mm fork. This drops the front end by about 20mm which changes the head tube angle by about 1 degree to 71.5

I didn't ask what the weight of the rigid is. Any one know?
    14 SW Epic WC - 21.8 lb
    12 Niner Air9RDO -16.4
    12 SJ FSR Exp EVO29 -28
    11 SW Epic 29 - sold
    10 Devinci Wilson 4 -37

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for that CarmanDSL, good to know the changes. Wow, that is going to lower it, super stable and it should really rip smoothish turns. Seat angle will be better for climbing and with the weight coming down, it would rocket up hills. I just wish the head angle could still be under 71 deg, just so as you can do things you shouldn't be doing on a rigid better. haha

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how does single speed dropouts' adjustment deal with fixed brake caliper postion, since the mount is on the seatstay and not a part of the slider? Or am I missing something here?? I emailed Intense about this sometime last week, but got no answer.

Arek

mtbr member
    Anyone?.. Or namely - Intense, could you chime in on this? How does the wheel sdjustment work when the caliper position is not moving along with the axle?

Dude, got any schwag?
    OK I'll chime in. The SS drops are likely designed for perfect alignment in the exact middle. The small slider adjustments shouldn't throw pad placement far enough off to be a problem.

Nevermind the slot comment (edited out). There are slots, but they are for lateral adjustments. I wrote that pre-coffee.
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 02-18-2013 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    The SS drops are likely designed for perfect alignment in the exact middle.
    If this is the case - and it looks like it, as I can't see anything else at work here - then the whole system seems like an afterthought. Caliper mount should've been a part of the removable droputs from the begining. Not a very well thought out design. We might as well try to run a magic gear with std. droputs, really.

Sliding dropouts on a single speed bike should allow for chain tensioning and some adjustment of chainstay length as needed to run different gear combos. I can't see moving the axle forward or back off centre (where the std. dropout would be) by more than a few millimeters and it not affecting how the pads contact the rotor.

I was excited about Hard Eddie being a legitimate candidate for my new SS frame, but this completely disqualifies it as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Arek; 02-18-2013 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think this might be the best looking SS out there. But I know someone who had the dropouts fail on the first ride. I wouldn't trust this design just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    I am afraid that after a short time the bolt will not handle the forces that involved in SS,
    I had some other frames that had strange solution for SS and most of them didn't work.
    It looks too fragile.
    I will check by myself when I will get the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just got mine built up, weighing in at a hair under 17 lbs. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, and I'm also unsure of the dropouts. The axle is sitting at the very rear of the dropouts and caliper position is not a problem. Simple to adjust chain tension. It's obviously an afterthought and it's not how I would design it, but as long as the axle stays put I'll be happy with it.
    I have a long weekend of riding coming up, so I'll post my thoughts after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hard Eddie goes single speed-img_5413.jpg  

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmxer View Post
    Just got mine built up, weighing in at a hair under 17 lbs.
    One of the local lads brought in his new frame and fork for me to design a custom shaped frame protection kit and DAMN... my jaw hit the floor - I'd not seen it before and I fell in love. Nice lines, nice weight and really cleaver drop out options. Great job Intense! He's building it up gearded for now but I reckon he'll opt for single speed before long.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great looking bike, i am looking at building up a Yeti BigTop or one of these, what do you think the biggest front cog is it would fit? I run a 42/12 combination on my current bike. (flat landscape!) I dont want to go any smaller on my new build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmxer View Post
    Just got mine built up, weighing in at a hair under 17 lbs. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, and I'm also unsure of the dropouts. The axle is sitting at the very rear of the dropouts and caliper position is not a problem. Simple to adjust chain tension. It's obviously an afterthought and it's not how I would design it, but as long as the axle stays put I'll be happy with it.
    I have a long weekend of riding coming up, so I'll post my thoughts after.
    Have your ridden this? How's it hold up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The hard Eddie is actually working out much better than expected. I wasn't expecting too much out of the dropouts.
    They add about 30 seconds to a wheel change because the whole assembly must be taken apart, but are simple to adjust. No tools are required, and for the most part it doesn't budge once in place. I change gearing pretty often, and am pretty critical of ss solutions. I almost took a hacksaw to my niner a9c a couple of times. Haven't had to adjust the brake caliper with gear changes either.
    As it sits now it's right at 16 lbs 5 oz:
    Niner fork
    Cannondale Hollowgram Cranks
    XTR pedals
    Enve rims on Extralite hubs
    Hope Race X2 brakes
    Thompson Masterpiece post/SLR carbon saddle
    Racing Ralph 2.35 front/Kenda Kozmik Lite II rear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast