mtbr member
    May 2013

Greased Lower Pivots for the First Time - Good Results

I was torn as to whether I wanted to get a grease gun kit to lube the lower pivot points on my Carbine. Lbs said it wansn't necessary, as the bearings are sealed, and opinions here on mtbr seem pretty spilt. Intense does suggest lubing them every so often.

Well, I was washing some mud off the other day, and a good amount of dirty water ran right into one of the lower pivot points, so I figured it was time to try it. Greased it today, and I was Amazed at how much smoother the rear triangle movement is! Some pretty nasty gunk got forced out too! I'm totally sold on the fact that lubing the lower pivots is a good thing!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Same here,
    mine not as dry as yours, & did the upper link bearings as well. The seatstay bearings really needed lube, one of those was beginning to get kinda notchy. They might be sealed bearings, but my take is that the white mayonnaise grease in those bearings is junk.
    Made enough of a difference that I had to up the shock psi to compensate!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How did you grease the upper link bearings? Mine doesn't have zerks.

Good point on checking sag afterwards, hadn't thought of that!

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    There are some posts about that process somewhere around here. But briefly, you have to spin out those caps on the upper bearings. (They are really tight, & lock tightened on.) The axle on the top of the link has to be backed up on the other side or the whole thing spins.
    Then pry off the outer bearing seals & grease away. Careful with the seat stay bearings, the ball bearings are captured in with a plastic spacer that aligns the bearings & spaces them from each other. I didn't remove that, just gaveum a good wipedown & pumped in grease with the same needle grease fitting we use for the zerks at the bottom link.
    You should retork those bearing caps when reassembling.
    I used 125" lbs. on the main axle pivot caps, & 175" lbs. on the seatstay caps.
    It really isn't that tough, take your time & be careful of carbon finish.