G
    Mr. Lurker

Gifted an UZZI SLX - school me on these bikes

I just picked up an UZZI SLX, not sure what year it is. 26" wheels.

I think the frame may be a little big for me, however, I can probably still have some fun on it. Looks like a downhill bike to me.

Anyone know what year this might be?

Gifted an UZZI SLX - school me on these bikes-img_20160217_182457.jpg

Gifted an UZZI SLX - school me on these bikes-img_20160217_183742.jpg

Gifted an UZZI SLX - school me on these bikes-img_20160217_183446.jpg

Gifted an UZZI SLX - school me on these bikes-img_20160217_182521.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's a link to a thread that can answer some of the questions you've got. pls help id uzzi frame

To me personally it almost looks like an SLX that has had Uzzi DH linkages put on it, on a DH frame with SLX stickering. That said I could be hardcore wrong. Hope you love her, the older Intense's are definetly the bomb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's a 2002. I lusted after one when I first started biking.

G
    Mr. Lurker
    This thing is HEAVY. 40 lbs.

Geez. Wonder if I could find another frame and change everything out.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Could be a decent 26" frame set up right, 6.5" travel I think. Probably use offset bushings to help slacken it out.

Main issue is going to be the suspension, the Jr T is a ported-damper that will hydro-lock on faster hits and the SPV valving in the rear shock will feel very similar in rough terrain due to position sensitive damping and no real high-speed circuits. Avalanche can gut and fix the rear shock for pretty cheap.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    By today's standards yes the bike is heavy; however, back in the day, 40 lbs was light! Especially considering the build!

I agree with Jayem that your suspension is the issue, but I would say if you want to lighten things up by getting a different frame and building it up, you're going to want to ditch your fork and rear shock. The rest of the build is actually pretty good and you should be able to find a newer frame pretty easily that will fit your parts and rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Mrs Dougal rides one. Fantastic bike for building confidence. Really stable and tackles anything.

She runs manitou minute and Mcleod suspension. Stock shock was 190x50 but you can run 200x56 with the extra mounting holes.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Here's another helpful thread for you too: Uzzi SLX Geometry.

Uzzi SLX for sure. I had an Uzzi DH and an Uzzi SLX and they were both superfun bikes. I briefly had that Jr T fork on my Uzzi SLX but swapped it out for the aforementioned issues with it packing-up badly on high speed washboard bumps.

You may want to also experiment with the rear travel settings. If I recall, the linkage looks to be in the longer travel setting which terribly jacks up the bottom bracket.

There are a couple other threads on here with photos/diagrams detailing how to adjust the linkage too
    ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Since this frame is too big for me, I am thinking about changing out the components to another frame (aside from the shock).

Can anyone recommend a frame that would be compatible with the fork and wheels? I don't think it's a tapered head tube. Would even consider a hard tail.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Since this frame is too big for me, I am thinking about changing out the components to another frame (aside from the shock).

Can anyone recommend a frame that would be compatible with the fork and wheels? I don't think it's a tapered head tube. Would even consider a hard tail.
    It will be a bit of nightmare to change out. Straight headtube, fork with integrated stem...
    That bike looks brand new. If you change the rear shock to air, front fork to a single crown, you could probably save quite a bit of weight.
    What size is the actual frame? The bottom bracket looks high, so there maybe another mounting point for the shock which would lower the whole bike.
    Last edited by Mudguard; 02-22-2016 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    It will be a bit of nightmare to change out. Straight headtube, fork with integrated steerer...
    That bike looks brand new. If you change the rear shock to air, front fork to a single crown, you could probably save quite a bit of weight.
    What size is the actual frame? The bottom bracket looks high, so there maybe another mounting point for the shock which would lower the whole bike.
    What the heck is an integrated steerer? I disagree, there are tonnes of frames out there that will match your components. I think this thread could go around in circles and we could list hundreds of frames that would work. It might be easier to ask what frames you like and go from there.

If you are keeping the same frame I would recommend that you don't go with a hard tail. It was cool back in those days to run hard tails with dual crown forks but not so much these days.

Both your bike and fork are straight 1-1/8" steerer tubes. The rear wheel is 135x9 (or 10 they're the same things, unless you have a thru axle). Your bottom bracket is 68/73mm and same goes for your cranks.

mtbr member

Thanks!
    Is the frame too big or is it sitting too high? Because it's sitting way too high in that photo because the shock plates are bolted on in the long travel position.

Swap the linkage plates from side to side and move the shock to the lowest hole. It'll drop the rear of the bike a lot.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

G
    Mr. Lurker
    It's a 19" frame. What would be some good frames to start with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's a 19" frame. What would be some good frames to start with?
    How much money do you want to spend? What kind of riding do you want to do?

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by beach_boy View Post
    How much money do you want to spend? What kind of riding do you want to do?
    Riding a lot of cimbs, not too steep, but some are long.
    Maybe $500? Doable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Riding a lot of cimbs, not too steep, but some are long.
    Maybe $500? Doable?
    Sure it's doable, but I don't think the build lends well to lots of climbing. The bike was built in the days when bikes weren't as capable as they are now. They were created with one orientation (downhill or uphill, not both).

However, as I said before, $500 is doable for a new to you frame, and I'm not saying it couldn't be ridden uphill, but it would still take a lot of effort even after switching to a new frame... Even a hardtail.

For $500 you can look for a used Chromag frame, Santz Cruz Chameleon, Specialized Stumpjumper fsr or enduro. Most frames were switching to tapered headtubes and wider rear ends around 2009. But you can find newer ones like the 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR that use a 1-1/8 headtubes and a 135mm rear end. Pretty much if you find a frame you like you should be able to find a vintage that will fit your parts.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    A little late to the party.

But if you are curious that SLX is a 2001.
    Front Range, Colorado.

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    A little late to the party.

But if you are curious that SLX is a 2001.
    That's cool, thanks. Someone else here said it was a 2002. Probably not much difference between 2001 and 2002.

mtbr member
    That's cool, thanks. Someone else here said it was a 2002. Probably not much difference between 2001 and 2002.
    Just have a look at the frame number and find out for sure.

Should be two letters (first for model, second for frame size) then a 2-3 digit number that give year and month (first digit for year, 2. and 3. for month; if it is produced in e.g. June 2002 it would be 26, in December 2002 it would read 212) and then a 2-3 digit specific frame number.

According to the sticker package it's a 2001. I've got both a 2001 and a 2002 UZZZ-SL. Which is the 5" version of the SLX which was a 6" travel bike. The 2002 I just picked up as a brand new NOS off eBay. It's been sitting in a shop in storage all these years.

Anyway check out the difference in the stickers between the 2 years.

Mainly the 2001 has a continuous sweeping sticker around the head tube and down. Like yours. And the 2002 the stickers are seperated. One on the top tube and one in the down tube. A completely different design.

^^^ 2001 UZZI-SL

^^^ 2002 UZZI-SL new old stock frame.

And as far as it being a downhill bike. The UZZI-SLX was considered one of the first all mountain bikes. They had the M1 as the world renowned most winning downhill bike. That's where Intense shined and gained world recognition.

From 2000 to 2003 the lineup was:
    M1 = Downhill
    UZZI-SLX = All Mountain
    UZZI-SL = All Mountain / XC
    Tracer = XC

A great all around fun bike. Will it climb as good as today's 6" bikes, no. But it will climb and it will descend any trail. The first thing I would do is put a dropper seat post on it. With the old geometry you need one so you can get your weight over the back tire in technical downhill terrain. Then a newer single crown fork would really lighten it up.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 02-26-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just picked up an UZZI SLX, not sure what year it is. 26" wheels.

I think the frame may be a little big for me, however, I can probably still have some fun on it. Looks like a downhill bike to me.

Anyone know what year this might be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160217_182457.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	1050768

Name:	IMG_20160217_183742.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	1050769

Name:	IMG_20160217_183446.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	1050771

Name:	IMG_20160217_182521.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	1050772
    You'll grow in to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey G, you still out there? Don't tell me my late entrance hindered your reply.
    Front Range, Colorado.

G
    Mr. Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Hey G, you still out there? Don't tell me my late entrance hindered your reply.
    Hey - I'm still here. I read the info you provided. Thanks, that helps.
    I did ride this the other week, it wasn't bad. Actually, a pretty damn nice bike. Don't really feel the weight of the bike when riding, although it is a bit squishy. Pedaling uphill is a chore, especially with the suspension compressing constantly.
    I'm still building up the other bike, so I'll have something newer. It will be nice to have this as a second bike - it is fun to ride. Still wish I could find a decent HT frame to use all these components on.
    Makes me feel like I'm more of a HT kinda rider. We'll see how the Trek does.