mtbr member

G3 dropout options

I am currently running a QR on the back of my Uzzi, but would like change this out for something a little stiffer. I have a Hope rear hub so can change out the axle, and if at all possible I would like to lose the stupid fiddly end spacers that fit into the outside of the dropouts.

Do I have to go to 12mm to get rid of the spacers? If so are there any good 12mm systems anyone can recommend?

If I go with 10mm (probably DT Swiss RWS) will I need new spacers or will they use the same ones as the QR setup I have now? I got the frame second hand so currently only have the one set of spacers.

I assume no-one is making X-12 replacement G3 dropouts yet?

Thanks for any help.

switchback sculptor
    hadley makes the perfect 12mm axle to go spacerless.
    if you go 10mm, you'll use the qr spacers.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=735

switchback sculptor
    yup, she's a beaut.

mtbr member
    Sorry one last question. Does it take an allen key on each side or do you need a wrench for one of them?

switchback sculptor
    its got a allen on one side, and a "nut" that has a peg that fits into the dropout.
    you only need to carry a single 8mm allen.

mtbr member
    @erosive or gweb:
    so do either of y'all have the 12mm thru-axle implemented?
    If so, how's it working out?

I'm getting a pair of Mav823's built up on King ISO 135x12mm and plan to run that Hadley thru axle mentioned above (thanks for the tip!).

Just wondering if folks like the setup and if it stiffens things up noticeably over the QR setup.

Old school BMXer
    Andy, while some will feel the stiffness difference, some won't.

The biggest downside to the Hadley axle is the wrenches required to remove it on the trail in case you get a flat.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Thx, Lee.

I initially wanted to make the simple move to Fun Bolts; however, the threaded part for King's funbolts are bigger than 10mm in diameter, so they wouldn't fit through the QR spacers on the Uzzi frame.

I thought about hogging out a 10mm slot in the spacers so I could prethread the King funbolts and then drop them into the frame and tighten...

btw - see you at Bellflower on Saturday! I'll be on the Tazer

Old school BMXer
    Not fully sure if I'll make it to Bellflower. I haven't been riding at all, so my bike handling skills aren't what they should. I'll bring the Mob and maybe the Intense Podium.

I'm assuming the G3 dropouts are the similar in how the axle mounts as the dropouts on the M6/SlopeStyle/Socom/etc, in which case you can use the fun bolts without any adapter. The head of the bolt fits perfectly into the dropout.

Here's my SlopeStyle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the air be filled with tires!

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    Not fully sure if I'll make it to Bellflower. I haven't been riding at all, so my bike handling skills aren't what they should. I'll bring the Mob and maybe the Intense Podium.

I'm assuming the G3 dropouts are the similar in how the axle mounts as the dropouts on the M6/SlopeStyle/Socom/etc, in which case you can use the fun bolts without any adapter. The head of the bolt fits perfectly into the dropout.

Here's my SlopeStyle.
    Yeah they're the same, thats what I've been using for the last year with no problems on my Uzzi.

mtbr member
    So, I don't get it...
    The part of the fun bolt that slides into the frame is supposed to be 10mm so that it works with conventional QR slots, yet the G3 dropout slot has to be 12mm to accomodate the 12mm axle... so what's up with the missing 2mm? No spacers being used?

I hesitate to even question y'all (esp since I know Lee and am quite certain he's got major mechanical skills)... but are y'all sure that the shaft of the funbolt, and not the bolt head, is carrying the load of the axle?

OK, I'm gonna have to ride home for lunch and get the FunBolts back out of the bag and see how it'll fit in there...

mtbr member
    I dunno fellers. If y'all's G3 dropouts are like mine, you'll see that the Funbolt head fits perfectly in the circular milled out part of the dropout, but the Funbolt shaft is not bottomed out in dropout.

I took off my rear wheel and just set the Funbolt in the dropout, and the Funbolt shaft is suspended in midair when the bolt head is seated. There is basically that 1mm gap all the way around the 10mm funbolt shaft in the 12mm dropout slot.

I'm guessing the clamping force between the hub and the frame takes most of the load, but it seems it might put undo stress on the junction between the funbolt shaft and head, which could lead to a snapped bolt. For me, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable riding on that setup.

Y'all please check for me to see if your setup has this "feature" so that I can sleep tonite!
    Last edited by stuffshredman; 06-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by erosive View Post
    hadley makes the perfect 12mm axle to go spacerless.
    if you go 10mm, you'll use the qr spacers.
    Oh, I have spacers for my 12mm axle too (Hadley hub, Intense axle which is probably made by Hadley). It did not seem like it would work properly without the larger spacers that come with the frame.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffshredman View Post
    I dunno fellers. If y'all's G3 dropouts are like mine, you'll see that the Funbolt head fits perfectly in the circular milled out part of the dropout, but the Funbolt shaft is not bottomed out in dropout.

I took off my rear wheel and just set the Funbolt in the dropout, and the Funbolt shaft is suspended in midair when the bolt head is seated. There is basically that 1mm gap all the way around the 10mm funbolt shaft in the 12mm dropout slot.

I'm guessing the clamping force between the hub and the frame takes most of the load, but it seems it might put undo stress on the junction between the funbolt shaft and head, which could lead to a snapped bolt. For me, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable riding on that setup.

Y'all please check for me to see if your setup has this "feature" so that I can sleep tonite!
    Thats how it works, I've been running like that for a year so far with no problems. It's not much different with the QR/10mm dropout spacers and a QR/10mm setup other than there's something filling the gap on the top of the bolt. The area taking the stress is still the head of the spacer and the hub, it isn't like there's anything touching the bottom of the QR/10mm spacer to hold it in place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi!
    I have just git my first intense; an Uzzi Vp and am still finding my way around it....including the G3s and spacer/hub combinations.

With the frame came 4 spacers, two for each side. Two each of the following:

A) Flush both sides OD 22mm ID 12mm Width 6mm
    B) One side 0D 22mm, ID 10mm width 3mm then down to OD12, ID10mm width 5mm. This one fits inside A).

I am using the B) spacers on the outside of the G3 for a 10mm QR...... and everything seems stiff.....correct?
    If so where do the A) spacers come in?
    Inside/Outside?Not at all?

Does anyone run a 10mm QR through either Hope Pro II or Azonic Outlaws (converted to 10mm)???
    Any advice most welcome!

wuss
    Use 10mm ID for 10mm axles and 12mm for that size axles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Check your dropouts! On my Uzzi they did not chamfer the inside of the counter bore on the drop outs where the adapter sits. There is a small radius (tool nose radius from the insert used to machine the adapter) in the corner of the 10mm-12mm adapter. This means that when you clamp down on a 10mm axle or QR the tool nose rad on the adapter contacts the sharp corner on the dropouts. You do not get contact on the flat surfaces. Ditch the 10mm stuff and only run 12mm axle with a nut on one end and a washer underneath the head on the other. I suspect a lot of people running 10mm axle who complained about flex in the rear end were suffering because of the goofy adapters. Sorry if this seems a little bit out there but as a machinist I notice small things like this as it is the difference between an ok part and a perfect part. On a different note I have noticed that the quality of the machining has increased in the time between when they made my wife's 09 SS1 and my 11 Uzzi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orientdave View Post
    Hi!
    I have just git my first intense; an Uzzi Vp and am still finding my way around it....including the G3s and spacer/hub combinations.

With the frame came 4 spacers, two for each side. Two each of the following:

A) Flush both sides OD 22mm ID 12mm Width 6mm
    B) One side 0D 22mm, ID 10mm width 3mm then down to OD12, ID10mm width 5mm. This one fits inside A).

I am using the B) spacers on the outside of the G3 for a 10mm QR...... and everything seems stiff.....correct?
    If so where do the A) spacers come in?
    Inside/Outside?Not at all?

Does anyone run a 10mm QR through either Hope Pro II or Azonic Outlaws (converted to 10mm)???
    Any advice most welcome!
    Like Dropadrop said:

For QR or 10mm thru axle, use the B) spacers with the 12mm OD part of the spacer in the dropout slot.

I'm running a Hadley 12mm thru axle, so I use the A) spacers.

mtbr member
    Does Intense sell these 10/12mm converting spacers so that one could run a 10mm bolt-on axle in a 12mm drop out.... say like on a Mojo HD?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Does Intense sell these 10/12mm converting spacers so that one could run a 10mm bolt-on axle in a 12mm drop out.... say like on a Mojo HD?

Thanks.
    They only work on Intense drop outs.

To the OP the new 142 dropouts are perfect on the Uzzi and the Hope hub can be converted to 142
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffshredman View Post
    Like Dropadrop said:

For QR or 10mm thru axle, use the B) spacers with the 12mm OD part of the spacer in the dropout slot.

I'm running a Hadley 12mm thru axle, so I use the A) spacers.
    With the Hadley 12mm you don't need to use any spacers. The nut an Allen heads were designed to fit in the milled out part of the dropouts
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com