mtbr member
    Oct 2007

FSA Xtreme Orbit Pro 1.5

Anyone running an FSA Xtreme Orbit Pro 1.5 on their Intense bikes?

Is there any concerns with installation or removal given the hourglass shaped head tube and the 21mm deep cups?

Thanks

Boyeeee
    I had mine pulled from my VPX when I had it painted early last year. It was a pain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The FSA is what Intense reccomends, as opposed to the Cane Creek stuff that there was some concern with in the past. Havent had any problems with mine on my Uzzi

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yea I'm running one with no issues.

Working on my Drops
    The FSA on my 6.6 leaves about a 1mm gap at the top and bottom of the top tube. It's kind of annoying and I fear dirt probably gets in there. I'm going to replace it with a CK headset soon.
    2011 Turner DHR
    2011 Intense Tazer FRO

Boyeeee
    For clarification, the FSA has been great on the VPX. The only problem I've had was when removing it prior to repainting my frame. Installation, re-installation, and normal use have been without issue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think these headsets are great too. Had it a year and no problems mine is a reducer type not that it makes a difference. The seals are really good too. Its on an uzzi by the way

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it will do the job.

..ouch
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I haven't been all that impressed. Mine (on an Uzzi with a Totem) started creaking and getting rough after half a season. I've gone back in and cleaned/repacked the bearings twice since then, but it's still never felt really smooth (and yes, it's tensioned correctly). I just ordered a new 1.5 King two days ago to replace it.

mtbr member
    Even I had FSA installed, the headtube easily cracked, so not really much of CC's size being not matched, I believe Intense didn't really manufactured 6.6's headtube right in the beginning of the production. So, now it should be okay with FSA or CC.

I love my Reset Racing's headset because the race is made with very high insert, so it never creeks.
    Full filled with 6.6 then migrating to Slope Style for more. "Intense Slope Style Central"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz---@fsmail.net
    I think these headsets are great too. Had it a year and no problems mine is a reducer type not that it makes a difference. The seals are really good too. Its on an uzzi by the way
    I think the FSA bearings are cheap and don't last very long. Maybe it is PNW thing but other people seem to have problems too.

Recovering
    The FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5 on my Uzzi was great for the first 2.5 years, then two months ago after a muddy day at Plattekill, the bearings gave in. Not terribly pleased with it now, although the LBS is pursuing a warranty issue since it's supposedly warrantied for 10 years. I'm not holding my breath.

If I were buying a 1.5 headset now, I'd pony up a few extra bucks for the King. The FSA isn't *that* much cheaper...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    Not terribly pleased with it now, although the LBS is pursuing a warranty issue since it's supposedly warrantied for 10 years. I'm not holding my breath.
    They want you to send in the whole headset. Otherwise no warranty. I do the same thing as thump to keep it alive.