Dirt Diva Little h

FSA Orbit X headset removal from Uzzi Vpx?

Okay I want to remove my fsa orbit extreme 1.5" headset from my uzzi and install a king but the Park tool for headset removal can't catch the lip of the headset because the interior of the headtube is thicker in the middle and stops the tool from working correctly. ANy ideas on how I can get it out without damaging the headset and especially the headtube?
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had to use a Snap-on inside bearing puller, there was no way that the Park tool would work, what does Intense use I wonder?

Dirt Diva Little h
    WHat kind of puller? power steering, alternator, A/C? DO you have a pic of the tool?
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's a special aircraft tool we have at work, I will try to get you a picture on Monday

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    any news on that headset job?i will recieve my king devolution headset this week and will have to get rid of a lower fsa the big fat pig and upper syncros fbi combined headset...

Dirt Diva Little h

Here is how I did it.

I used a 12" long socket extention and a hammer. Lightly tap all around the edge inside the headtube with the flat end that the socket goes on. I only needed to move it about 1/4" and then I used the Park headset removal tool for the rest. It did not mar the headset cup and took only 15mintues to do. My LBS said they remove headset this way all the time with out any damage to the headset or headtube.
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

mtbr member
    A half moon punch works well. Alternate around the edge of the cup. If you are careful you can do it without scratching anything.
    Thatís what I use. The Park tool won't work.

The added strength to the steer tube by keeping it thick right up to the cup far out weighs the inconvenience of having to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by heather@thebakkers.com
    Okay I want to remove my fsa orbit extreme 1.5" headset from my uzzi and install a king but the Park tool for headset removal can't catch the lip of the headset because the interior of the headtube is thicker in the middle and stops the tool from working correctly. ANy ideas on how I can get it out without damaging the headset and especially the headtube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you can track down a used steer tube, and catch the lip with it, you can slowly work it out.