mtbr member

Fox DHX 5.0 or Rock Shock Monarch or CCDB for my new Tracer VP

Today is my second ride on my new Tracer Vp. Great bike!!! This is the set up. Tracer Vp size med, works red. Fork 2009 Fox Talas 36 RC2 1.5 With Intense XT build kit. I need your guys feed back about the stock shock-Fox RP23. I want a stiffer shock the three I'm looking at are Fox DHX 5.0, Rock Shock Monarch, CCDB Ti. I am running 25% sag psi 250, pro pedal on/ in the #3 position. It just feels very soft. The ride I did today very fast flowing single track plus,logs, steep up hills long and short, Down hills- roots,lose rocks, Allot of off camber stuff. some fire roads/trails soft beach like sand. My take on the Tracer Vp. Feels like a BMX bike on steroids. You feel like one with the bike. Just a little pull on the bars the bike lifts right up for the logs and rocks. AKA feels like a hard tail. The bike corners like it is on rails. Holds a very tight line. I am running a Thomson 45mm stem so it does turn on a dime. note I'm 5'10 with very short arms so that plus I'm running a 1.5 fork so Richard's Bike took the stock stem off and put the Thomson on. The bike came with a 100MM Titec stem.I steer the bike with my legs allot gripping the saddle with my inner thighs. The rear Tri is nice and stiff no flex. The bike does not have that Flexly rubber feel to it. I was going down a pretty steep down hill section. The bike was so easy to air it out. Going over rocks, baby heads and larger rocks.The trails I was riding have these big square rooted 6 inch to a foot drop offs. Allot of times you can't just fly over them because you over shoot the corner and go off the trail or get cross rudded. Today jumped off every one the Tracer Vp landed in the right spot every time. This bike will make you ride harder,faster, and have way to much fun doing it, I will post my pic's soon of my bike and the complete list of parts. NOTE The Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5 is the best fork for this bike. Fox did a amazing job with this fork. Thank you Intense for making such A GREAT BIKE. and to Richard's Bike.com the Intense dealer I got it from. They treated me very good. Those guys are class act. MIKE and ADAM thanks again. from Johnny.G
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 11-13-2008 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You're riding with propedal 3 on? Propedal defeats the purpose of VPP and if it feels beneficial I would venture to guess the shock is not set up right. Intense even recommends against it Are you running it in 140 or 150? In 140, it has a very low leverage rate and 250 PSI sure sounds like a lot. What do you weigh? Have you considered the Manitou Evolver Intrinsic ISX6? If not, you should, because it is far superior to the offerings from Fox and mates very well to my Tracer VP.

mtbr member
    I weigh 237 without gear with gear 247. I run 250-psi in shock. 6 inch travel hole. Pro-pedal on. in the #3 position. from Johnny.G

mtbr member
    I'd get a used DHX and have it PUSHed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, that shock deffinitely doesn't work for you, they all come with the bigger can and a light compression tune. I would still suggest you look into the Manitou Evolver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Really interested in the 36 TALAS. the bike shop i rate are very keen on the 36 vanilla because of the small bump sensitivity you get with the coil vs the stiction of all the seals on the TALAS. my only gauge of this was a nomad set up with a 36 vanilla vs a pivot mk5 with a 32 talas. The vanilla/nomad felt incredible and i basically endured bumpy/jumpy downhills on the mk5/TALAS combo, but given the differences in bike (and 32 vs 36) i don't think my comparison is a fair one
    reluctant to stick to a vanilla and lose the versatility of the tracer but loved the feel of the vanilla. any thoughts?

mtbr member
    CF ? ROFL
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    I would go with the 2009 36 Fox Talas RC2 1.5 I have had coil forks in the past and I have to say this is the best fork I have ever owned. My two favorite forks are my 36 Fox Talas RC2 1.5 2009 and the fork on my 2008 Specialized Enduro SL expert 150e fork. I like a fork that you can run super stiff if you want aka trying to keep up with my friends- on single speed hard tails with XC forks. from Johnny.G