mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Smile Dual Position Pike 150/120 on Spider Comp

I am quite interested in getting a Dual Position Pike 150 with a 51mm offset. Most of the time the fork will be on 120 setting.

I have the following questions which I need answers before I make my decision.

What would be the HTA of the Spider Comp if the fork is at 150/120 and will the 51mm offset make the HTA more slacker?

My other option is to go with a SID 120 or a 2014 Fox Float 120. Will either of the two be at the same level of performance as the Pike?

I have used a SID WC 80mm on my Top Fuel and a 100mm REBA on my Superfly but my body is looking for a plusher ride due to age

Living the Dream
    I think it will be fine. I just ordered a 150mm 51 offset Pike. I almost went with the dual position air. I believe that the headangle with the 150mm Pike will be close to the HA with the Fox 140. This is because the Fox has a higher A-C height than the Pike. I think the 120mm Sid is a great fork; but I don't believe it is in the same league as a 35mm Pike with a Charger damper. I have a 120mm Sid that I am going to through on my Spider Comp for all day Epics or more XC rides.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My guess on the head angle is 67.5 and the 51mm offset will make it ride like it has a steeper head angle and slightly longer wheelbase.

Pirate!!!
    On a side note, why is everyone going with the 51mm offset over the 46mm version?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    On a side note, why is everyone going with the 51mm offset over the 46mm version?
    To quicken the steering a bit given how slack the bike is for a larger diameter wheel (29er). More offset reduces trail, which is one of the main drivers of how quick or slow a bike's steering is.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    To quicken the steering a bit given how slack the bike is for a larger diameter wheel (29er). More offset reduces trail, which is one of the main drivers of how quick or slow a bike's steering is.
    So the 46mm version should theoretically handle slower?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not theoretically, actually. Slacker head angle, larger diameter wheel, and less offset work together to increase the trail on a bike which leads to more sluggish handling and vice versa. Hence you typically see steeper head angles and/or greater offsets on 29ers to combat the larger diameters wheels effect on the trail.

Pirate!!!
    Not theoretically, actually. Slacker head angle, larger diameter wheel, and less offset work together to increase the trail on a bike which leads to more sluggish handling and vice versa. Hence you typically see steeper head angles and/or greater offsets on 29ers to combat the larger diameters wheels effect on the trail.
    good info, thanks man. Fact is, I like the way my Spider Comp handles with the 140mm Fox fork, I'm just underwhelmed with its performance. I have a lead on a dealer priced 150mm X 46 offset Pike, I don't want to trade one performance drawback for another. I may be better off converting my Fox Talas to a float cartridge for better performance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I hate Talas'. I have given up on them.

I have a Float 34 on my Spider and think it is above average in performance. Its not a Marz coil (or Pike for that matter) but I am pleased with it. The secret to the Fox's is making sure you change your bath oil a couple times a year. It only takes 15 minutes to do, requires no special tools, and keeps them running smooth as butter. If you only do this once a year, they will be harsh.

Pirate!!!
    I hate Talas'. I have given up on them.

I have a Float 34 on my Spider and think it is above average in performance. Its not a Marz coil (or Pike for that matter) but I am pleased with it. The secret to the Fox's is making sure you change your bath oil a couple times a year. It only takes 15 minutes to do, requires no special tools, and keeps them running smooth as butter. If you only do this once a year, they will be harsh.
    I just got a quote from Fox to convert my fork from a Talas to a Float cartridge and a full service. $225-$275, I think that's going to be my Christmas present.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I think it will be fine. I just ordered a 150mm 51 offset Pike. I almost went with the dual position air. I believe that the headangle with the 150mm Pike will be close to the HA with the Fox 140. This is because the Fox has a higher A-C height than the Pike. I think the 120mm Sid is a great fork; but I don't believe it is in the same league as a 35mm Pike with a Charger damper. I have a 120mm Sid that I am going to through on my Spider Comp for all day Epics or more XC rides.
    Let me know once you get your new fork and provide us with some feedback once you get to ride them.

Pirate!!!
    Alpenglow, how's that Pike working out for you on the Spider Comp?