mtbr member

Does intense powder coat their frames.

My buddy had been trying to strip the paint of his old 6.6 and was having a devil of a time getting it off..... Especially in the crooks and welds.

He's tried everything including sandblasting and the stuff wouldn't budge. Someone suggested it must be powder coat.

I wish my recent frames had paint that durable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, they powdercoat their frames. I'm pretty sure there are some industrial strippers (chemical) that would be helpful to your friend.

mtbr member
    Look for a powdercoat specific stripper. Another guy was having the same problem and found something that worked great.

I fix your broken ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    My buddy had been trying to strip the paint of his old 6.6 and was having a devil of a time getting it off..... Especially in the crooks and welds.

He's tried everything including sandblasting and the stuff wouldn't budge. Someone suggested it must be powder coat.

I wish my recent frames had paint that durable.
    Your buddy will need to chemically strip the frame to remove the powder coat. Sandblasting/beadblasting can damage the aluminum. We generally work with Linco Industries in Anaheim, CA- (714) 635-2800

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have also been trying to strip my frame, I have used multiple things including aircraft remover. so far nothing, the aircraft remover will work if you do it 5 times then some sanding but that only kinda works on big surface and not in the little joints and stuff. It works perfect on other powder coated frames I have tried it on but not my spider. How bad is bead blasting for it? i have heard sand blasting is bad but T thought bead blasting was ok so i was gonna try that.

mtbr member
    I bought a demo Tracer 275 at the Intense parking lot sale, a pink Tracer 275! Which required, for a man as slow as myself, a new color, and according to Intense customer service personell they have a local powder coater they use; they do their own heat treating (equipment purchased from mountain cycle when they went overseas) but not their own powder. Intense use to use Olympic Powdercoat but the task of driving in to orange county to drop off and then pick up frames became too much.
    Olympic charged me $130 to strip and recoat my frame with a slow freindly Dark Charcoal Metallic Green, so don't bother stripping it yourself, you'll spend tons of time trying to get it clean enough for new powder, and expose yourself to some gnarly stuff in the process..
    Last edited by slowrider; 04-26-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: omission

mtbr member
    May 2006

Does intense powder coat their frames.

I had really go luck with the aircraft stripper on my uzzi vp. It took two coats and about 4 hours to get it done. Used a coarse nylon bristle brush for the welds and tight spaces no problem. Used a plastic putty knife for the rest of the bike. That stuff sure is nasty to work with though( use gloves, safety glasses etc., in a very well ventilated area ). Afterwards, I wiped it down with some mineral spirits, then soap an water and was good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    I bought a demo Tracer 275 at the Intense parking lot sale, a pink Tracer 275! Which required, for a man as slow as myself, a new color, and according to Intense customer service personell they have a local powder coater they use; they do their own heat treating (equipment purchased from mountain cycle when they went overseas) but not their own powder. Intense use to use Olympic Powdercoat but the task of driving in to orange county to drop off and then pick up frames became too much.
    Olympic charged me $130 to strip and recoat my frame with a slow freindly Dark Charcoal Metallic Green, so don't bother stripping it yourself, you'll spend tons of time trying to get it clean enough for new powder, and expose yourself to some gnarly stuff in the process..
    Thanks. That's good intel there. I just bought a Dayglo Yellow Chilcotin and the paint doesn't seem very durable (already have two or three pretty good chips) so when it gets too bad I'll probably go that route.

What was the turn around time on your bike?

Is this the place?

mtbr member
    Turn around was one week. I'm at work and for whatever reason the security program won't let me open the link you sent. Olympic is in Santa Ana Ca West of the 55 fwy off Dyer or Mc Fadden.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks. That's good intel there. I just bought a Dayglo Yellow Chilcotin and the paint doesn't seem very durable (already have two or three pretty good chips) so when it gets too bad I'll probably go that route.

What was the turn around time on your bike?

Is this the place?

mtbr member
    That's fast. My buddy already got his repainted (gave up on going raw/polished).... but I may use them in the near future.

Yep that's the place. Thanks.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-30-2013 at 02:30 PM.