mtbr member
    May 2008

Does Intense offer a frame trade policy?

I'm interested in trading my 08 5.5 EVP frame on a Tracer VP ... Does anyone know if Intense offers a frame trade in option? thanks for any help .. .. . . ..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    once i opened this topic, and i only ended up in a bad exchange of words...which was mainly nobody to blame. no trade policy yet, due to the demand is so high. they (me included) suggest that sell it and you'll have better marketable and fair price. i myself put my reliable and aging '04 5.5 in the classifieds. it's time to move on...i'm still thinking of keeping it and use it as my XC oriented rig, for quick trail ride mostly after work,,,and use my new tracer for my all day/long ride adventures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just curious... Why would they offer a trade in program? I can't think of a comparable industry that has such a deal.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't really know why they would or would not .. And I'm not saying that they should or should not .. I have heard that some manufactures do offer a trade in program .. I don't even know if that is true. .. But what I do know is that I would like to get a new Intense frame and am just weighing my options as to how to go forward with the purchase .. Whether or not they have a trade in program means little to me about the company. .. I like Intense bikes regaurdless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NS-NV
    Just curious... Why would they offer a trade in program? I can't think of a comparable industry that has such a deal.
    because they used to offer to people that had older models like the original tracer and would offer to let them trade in the frame for credit towards a new spider or 5.5.. i think they just wanted to get some people on the new vpp frames and have some frames for warranty or crash damage replacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    and have some frames for warranty or crash damage replacement.
    i REALLY hope there is NO company that sends used frames out as a warranty or crash replacement frame.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pitbull
    i REALLY hope there is NO company that sends used frames out as a warranty or crash replacement frame.
    Let us know how you feel after you've had your beloved frame for a few years and you have a failure, but you don't want or can't afford to buy a new frame. It would be nice for the company to still take care of you.

And no, Intense wasn't replacing frames or parts under warranty. The frames are used for customers when their frames are long out of warranty and long out of production.

Also, I believe that they were also reusing some of the specially made hardware in addition to frame components. Look through some of the threads on this forum for people looking for UZZI SL links, older UZZI seat or chain stays to keep their bikes going.

When appropriate, it's really good thing that Intense does the frame trade-in deal (although I've only known them to do it once). I wouldn't expect to see a trade-in program for the 5.5 for at least several years, if it does even happen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Why would intense want us to send them old parts and frames for them to keep as spares when they have the facilities on hand to just build up new/old front and rear triangles. I mean it's their design and they have the blue prints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saga
    Why would intense want us to send them old parts and frames for them to keep as spares when they have the facilities on hand to just build up new/old front and rear triangles. I mean it's their design and they have the blue prints.
    that would take away from current production and i don't think it is their priority to produce replacement parts for older bikes..an example would be the on going discussion about the uzzi/socom dropouts

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by saga
    Most all of the frames are made with specially designed tubesets sourced from outside vendors (Easton). Unless they plan on going into production again, it's not worth ordering a 1000 tubesets for an old frame. Intense doesn't just go down to their local metal supply depot and buy a bunch of generic aluminum tubes and create a frame. And if they were to substitute the original tubes for some of the newer tubes, they'd essentially have to redesign and test the frame - again, not worth it. They're not making big money by supporting their old frames - they're going above and beyond the call of duty to try and make customers happy.

Also, much of the hardward (links and bolts) were also specially made. Although it was made in-house, the purchasing of materials and setup time simply isn't practical for a small run of parts. Additionally, some of the hardware may have been made on machines they no longer use or have (they've significantly advanced their level of equipment, but it may not be set up for the old parts).

mtbr member

Intense Cycles

First off, thank you for the question. Intense does not have a frame trade in, or upgrade program. When we first switched to the VPP platform we offered special promotional pricing to customers to trade in their old 4 bar bikes. We still offer special promotional pricing from time to time through our dealer network. Were that program still in effect, in most cases it would be much more advantageous for one to sell their bike outright when compared to the discounted amount if applied to a new frame. On the question of sending out used parts to customers, we do offer some used parts for people that cannot swing the price for new replacement parts, or if it is an older bike and new parts are not existent. These parts are inspected prior to making them available for re-sale. At no time do we send used parts to someone without letting them know this fact in advance.
    Last edited by IntensevCare; 12-15-2008 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member

Seriously

Seriously, you really think you can trade in your mustang straight across for deal on a Shelby cobra not in this lifetime.Better to pony up the money like all of us. I do see 5.5 and 6.6 on sales on the internet and there is always eBay. Maybe it is more realistic for Taiwan frames to be traded and upgraded but for intense it would seem like a bad move.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thats one of the main reasons I love Intense bikes .. cause they are made in the USA .. Everyone should try to buy American made products .. be it a bike or anything else .. if more people did that our economy might be in alot better shape .. And I wasn't expecting a "straight across the deal trade" I thought they might have a need for them or who knows .. I really thought it was a simple question asking about the trade policy .. I sure didn't mean to open up a can of worms ... Thank you all for answering my question .. . Oh btw my Mustang is supercharged ...

mtbr member
    Ventana and Turner both have trade in programs.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Let us know how you feel after you've had your beloved frame for a few years and you have a failure, but you don't want or can't afford to buy a new frame. It would be nice for the company to still take care of you.
    i've seen cases of "we dont have any more warrenty frames of that bike to send you, so, you have an option of 2 brand new frames, frame set a, or frame set b

Quote Originally Posted by IntensevCare
    On the question of sending out used parts to customers, we do offer some used parts for people that cannot swing the price for new replacement parts, or if it is an older bike and new parts are not existent. These parts are inspected prior to making them available for re-sale. At no time do we send used parts to someone without letting them knowing this fact in advance.
    i'm glad they are inspected AND the customer is told they are getting used parts. i like that

mtbr member
    Sell your old frame on ebay and you will get a lot more for it.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Pitbull
    i've seen cases of "we dont have any more warrenty frames of that bike to send you, so, you have an option of 2 brand new frames, frame set a, or frame set b
    What case have you seen where a frame is years out of warranty, and the company gives you an option of what new frame they'll send you (for free?)?

Again, keep in mind that we're talking about frames that are long out of warranty, not in warranty.

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    Definitely sell it to someone else. That way the Intense brand grows as we can have more people out there riding their stuff
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"