mtbr member

Differences in the tracers

Looking at buying a tracer frame and I am wanting to know what the differences are through the years. I'm seeing tracer vps, tracers and tracer 2s. I really liked the dropout options on the latest model. What year did this start. Are there any other differences worth noting?

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Here's a picture of a Tracer VP and a Tracer 2 (frame only). Look a the rear triangle and you can see it is completely redesigned and quite a bit beefier. This added a noticeable amount of stiffness and strength to the rear end and the T2 has 5.75"/6.25" travel settings vs. the TVP 5.5"/6.0". The downtube is also a bit fatter and slightly curved at the BB.

To be honest they both feel very similar from a cruising position but you can definitely feel the stiffer T2 when cranking down. The T2 also has G1 dropouts which gives you more flexibility in your setup.

Both great bikes from my experience so I would let you budget dictate purchase, but I have seen some pretty great deals out there for the T2 and would recommend that first if possible. As far as dates go, I'm not exactly sure but I think the TVP was 2009-2010 and the T2 took over in 2011 to present. If it was me, I would look for a nice lightly used T2 with a good fork on it and start there. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you need any more advice - I spent way too much time researching this stuff and learned a couple things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The tracer 2 is a little bit heavier, but it worth it for the extra stiffness. The vp is a noodle but still not a bad bike. The 12mm rear axle definitely helps. I wouldn't think twice after spending a lot of time on both versions.

The carbine is also very nice and I would put that in between the two in terms of stiffness, but is much lighter and the slightly shorter rear triangle is perfect.

mtbr member
    Which color is this?

Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post

mtbr member
    Hand polished Raw with a little elbow grease. Not hard to do but takes a little time, nice thing is you don't have to worry about scratches once its done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojans1993 View Post
    Hand polished Raw with a little elbow grease. Not hard to do but takes a little time, nice thing is you don't have to worry about scratches once its done.
    Cool! I did polish my Socom but it is more mirror like. How did you get this nearly brushed look?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    Cool! I did polish my Socom but it is more mirror like. How did you get this nearly brushed look?
    After you get it to the near mirror like finish take a Scotch Bright pad (kind of hard to find the right ones but found some at Home Depot - grey ones not the green) and lightly start buffing until you get the desired look. Once you polishing part done the brushing is the easy part.

I used 3 coats of a special wax for raw aluminum mag wheels once I was done and it's held the shine pretty dang good for over a year now.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Tracer 2 I think. I like the G1 dropouts.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Good choice, you'll love the way it rides for sure.