mtbr member

Custom Tracer color availability?

Besides the works finishes and stealth black, are the other colors previously found on intense bikes available on the Tracer? I've been dabbling on the thought of a second and/or replacement mountain bike to my baby blue 5.5. A Tracer VP replacement or Ellsworth second bike (Epiphany or Moment) are tops on my list. Due to my experience with the 5.5 and the very positive buzz on mtbr, I'm having a hard time considering anything other than an Intense.

So, getting to the point: Would I be able to get a Tracer VP frame in either sky blue or gloss black??
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Update here: I stopped by my LBS earlier today for wheel service on my 5.5, and just happened to come across some copies of the new Tracer. Wow! -the new model is even better than it looks in pics! I noticed many details that have evolved over the last several years on the VP frames. Nice to see them integrated into the new frame.

Ellsworth is nice, but I think I now know what will be my next bike! Go Intense!!

mtbr member
    The new Tracer is indeed another home run bike. Seems to have a dual personality, as you can make it a capable XC ride or a plush feeling all mountain bike depending on the rear travel settings and component selection. I had a 6.6 before this bike and I was not too happy with it, it was a good bike but for me, it was not THE bike. Now the Tracer is really different. Pedalling firms right up when you want it to and it soaks up the terrain like the rear tire is underinflated. That underinflated description was my impression on the first ride, I actually stopped to check it. And while talking to my buddy who also has a new Tracer, that was his comment too, "So plush it felt like my rear tire was going flat."

Get one!
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    And while talking to my buddy who also has a new Tracer, that was his comment too, "So plush it felt like my rear tire was going flat."

Get one!
    NO kidding! I felt the exact same way! I looked down to double check my rear tire about 4 times on yesterday's ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx

Get one!
    Oh I will! Still undecided on choice of color...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Colour options etc

Deciding on a replacement for my San Andreas and looking at the VP as a possible. A couple of questions about frame options. First, size - I'm 5'6 ish (30" inseam) and my other bikes are Small frames, would I be right in assuming I'd be the same for the Tracer.

Colour - white looks good in photos, but here in the UK with the rain, mud and crap is not the most practical. Black - safe bet, but I like the look of the works finish, raw ali. Was wondering how the finish ages though - one of my other bikes, 96 ball burnished Zaskar got cloudy white layer (oxidizing?) over time, again wet UK weather doesn't help: I was able to polish this to restore the finish. As the works is a raw, matt like finish, so not really anodised, how well would this age (it's definitely a bike I plan on keeping a long time!).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    White actually holds up well. Out of all the colours white is the best for looking fresh over time.

But anyway...just get red!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padi R
    Deciding on a replacement for my San Andreas and looking at the VP as a possible. A couple of questions about frame options. First, size - I'm 5'6 ish (30" inseam) and my other bikes are Small frames, would I be right in assuming I'd be the same for the Tracer.

Colour - white looks good in photos, but here in the UK with the rain, mud and crap is not the most practical. Black - safe bet, but I like the look of the works finish, raw ali. Was wondering how the finish ages though - one of my other bikes, 96 ball burnished Zaskar got cloudy white layer (oxidizing?) over time, again wet UK weather doesn't help: I was able to polish this to restore the finish. As the works is a raw, matt like finish, so not really anodised, how well would this age (it's definitely a bike I plan on keeping a long time!).
    The works finish is just that , the raw aluminum just as it comes out of heat treat.
    The thing is that during the heat treat process a protective layer of Aluminum Oxide is formed . Aluminum Oxide is very hard and used for abrasives , coatings etc. in industry,
    so as long as you do not polish or scotch brite it it will not corrode.
    Your ball burnished frame had a finish similar to polishing that exposed the raw aluminum so unless you kept it sealed with wax or a clear coating it would tarnish and corrode.
    It is also possable that the ball burnish had a clear coat over it and that turned milky with time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So do you recommend the works finish for wet UK conditions (sometimes get blue skies and dusty trails, but not often enough!). Typically my bike gets pretty muddy most rides, and needs thorough cleaning - is the works finish easy to maintain, and if so, how?

Also, on the sizing - Small frame?

mtbr member

Ball burnish???

Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    The works finish is just that, the raw aluminum just as it comes out of heat treat.
    The thing is that during the heat treat process a protective layer of Aluminum Oxide is formed. Aluminum Oxide is very hard and used for abrasives, coatings etc. in industry,
    so as long as you do not polish or scotch brite it it will not corrode.
    Your ball burnished frame had a finish similar to polishing that exposed the raw aluminum so unless you kept it sealed with wax or a clear coating it would tarnish and corrode.
    It is also possible that the ball burnish had a clear coat over it and that turned milky with time.
    I love the chrome look like the M6 polished seen in a different thread any chance of just making that an option. I understand the works finish is a certain unfinished industrial look but the polished is just so cool looking in the daylight. I am still thinking of stripping my paint and getting the whole thing polished .I also like the black chrome look. Itís a personal statement when it comes to what you want you bike to look like, ball burnished/polished is one of my favorites.

Ideas Above My Station...
    My white SS looks a tiny bit haggard after 8 months in the UK especially where the lacquer seems to have been thinner / worn and the red soil over here has stained the white and its impossible to get out. ut stand back a bit and it still looks awesome, although my white totem is even whiter as its flat not pearlescent like the SS!!!

I think a works black, of gloss black is my next choice, and would look awesome on the Intenses, i'm not a fan of the Stealth black, and have seen my mates get a bit haggard too with the flat finish looking a bit faded almost.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    I like the look of the works finish also. In fact, the Tracer bike and frames I saw at my LBS all had the "raw" finish. It looks even better in person. ...I heard that WD-40 applied from time to time will help keep the water out. In places where saltwater and moisture are issues, would a flat clearcoat be of any benefit??

CTB
    mtbr member
    I've always liked the look of a black rear triangle with a different color frame. Does Intense have a custom program that could do something like that? Works Blue with a black rear T would be very sweet.