mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Crooked Intense Frame

one of my friend just received a new tracer frame from warranty.
    The second one he has from warranty, first one the rear hub spacing was 132mm instead of 135mm.. The second one, when you unscrew the bolt linking upper link to rear triangle, the rear triangle was offset 5mm, putting extra tension on the bearing..
    We just check the third one this morning and the rear triangle is 3mm offset, and when you remove the shock, suspension is not smoooth at all, lot of friction in the bearing....You really need to push hard on the rear triangle for it to move....

Anyone has experienced the same thing with intense frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think your friend is stuck sending it back again, and again and again . . . .

At this point he could ask for his money back, and maybe Intense will say ok. If not, he needs to continue asking that Intense make it right. I would not ride it like you describe. It is supposed to be a high end bike and should basically be close to perfect. I had a similar problem with a Wildhare many years ago, and I sent the frame back (although it only took them once to fix the problem).

mtbr member
    Best looking bikes out there, unfortunately this happens with them.

I really want the Carbine to be my next bike, I think the carbon bikes will be fine as they are out sourced.

I had an M3 years ago, went through bearings like crazy, really had to "force" it back together. Did not really notice it being out of wack when riding, felt great until the bolts came loose after every run.

my fun has a hurting
    haven't heard about or had any problems with the carbine (i bought one for the same reason you are considering it). i know a few people personally who have had welding/machining qc issues with their intense frames and a quick google search will show you just how sadly common this is. amazing designs, but it feels like they are trying to push out too many bikes with too few people and spotty qc. probably what they have to do to keep costs down enough to manufacture domestically and not be priced well beyond their competitors...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmm, I had some issues with Intense frames also. Seattube with welds sticking through that you couldn't even get a seat post in. I'd have hoped this sort of misalignment issue would've been eliminated. Not good.

Why would the carbon be less prone to issues if they're outsourced? Where/who is the 'outsource'?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Should have just cold set the first rear triangle. You need to send this one back now too.