mtbr member
    Aug 2006

crank options on SS2 frame

I am looking to upgrade my truvativ holzfeller cranks for a lighter set up. I was going to upgrade to the descendants but a friend tells me he got rubbing on the seat stay. Looks like I am looking at q factor issues on this frame. What are other owners running on their SS2 bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wonny View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my truvativ holzfeller cranks for a lighter set up. I was going to upgrade to the descendants but a friend tells me he got rubbing on the seat stay. Looks like I am looking at q factor issues on this frame. What are other owners running on their SS2 bikes?
    Check out Race Face cranks. They come with shims that allow you to tweak the chain line. This will also allow you shift the cranks a bit to one side or the other. I have Atlas cranks on my wife's SS1 but there are lighter ones in their lineup.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by wonny View Post
    From comments I've been reading it seems to be similar to the Uzzi. I got XTR's (167mm) but had a bit of rubbing, others are running them. After swapping to XT (176mm) I have had no further clearance issues. You will also notice people complaining about clearance with Hammerchmidt AM, but ok with the FR version (q-factors similar to XTR / XT).

I could not find any official ratings for the q-factor of the decendant cranks, but in this thread: 951 Crank Arm Clearance Issues they mention 155.5mm which seems really low... If that's true I'm not at all surprised there would be spacing problems (and based on the images I would say it's not a good option).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I tried XTR, Sram XX, Raceface Atlas I owned, all too narrow wrt q-factor. I ended up buying 2010 XT and they worked perfectly. There's a bit of variance in the rear ends, so what works for one, might not work for you:

Intense SS2 crank issue.....WTF

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Ugh

Ugh. Thanks