Thread: Cool Runnings

mtbr member

Cool Runnings

[SIZE="4"]Somewhere I saw a post requesting winter bike set-ups but this post is Tracer Specific stuff so here it is. As I write this the outside temp is 8F and the wind is 15 gusts to 25. "California Dreamin" ............[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice Tracer! Is that a large?

mtbr member
    The last two pic's. What kind/brand of rims are you running? Never seen those before.Nice set up. Like the CCDB.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    G-Ryder, yep a large. My previous large 6.6 didn't seem to "fit me" as well as this large Tracer. They feel like two completely different bikes ..... just me I guess but I REALLY like the Tracer. Just like my 1999 RFX, it seems to ride and handle as if it were custom built for me and my riding style. I've had some bikes come and go:Turner 02, 5 Spot, RIP9, DosNiner, 1FG, 6.6 SS and it was relatively easy to ship them out. I think the Tracer and RFX will live here awhile.

JohnnyG, those are SnowCat wheels actually SnowCat SL's because they have the lightening holes. The idea is to allow the beads to spread therefore gaining more flotation for riding snow. In reality there is a very narrow band of snow conditions that there is any advantage to having wheels this wide. I use these for my "ice riding" as they put a larger stud footprint onto the ice.

For true snow riding only these type wheels make a difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Rode last Sunday it was 60. Yesterday it snowed again. Plus its freezing out. The wind chill doesn't help either. Nice pic's -You are a true die hard rider.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 01-01-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member

Have ridden them...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Thanks for the info. Rode last Sunday it was 60. Yesterday it snow again. Plus its freezing out. The wind chill doesn't help either. Nice pic's -You are a true die hard rider.
    Those rims, if you can pick up a set somewhere for a reasonable price, make so much difference in the snow, with a big tire. If you can, Johnny and you get any snow at all, they are a fun little addition. I'm talking about the SL's because the larger snow-cats won't fit standard forks or probably the Tracer at all. Neither of them are fun to build though... X has used them for anything from XC riding on snowmobile trails to winter DH races, and besides the weight, they are awesome. Not sure how anyone would deal with the weight, because the SL's take as much material off as they possibly can, from what I can tell.

Jim, I can't believe you put the Nixon on the Tracer, that fork has been a great back-up and is still smooth like butta, did you do that so you could leave the wheel on the Lyrik fork and just swap them out in masse?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    [SIZE="4"]Somewhere I saw a post requesting winter bike set-ups but this post is Tracer Specific stuff so here it is. As I write this the outside temp is 8F and the wind is 15 gusts to 25. "California Dreamin" ............[/SIZE]
    Hey X,
    Just had a sip of Glenlivet for ya, hope it warms ya up.
    Happy new year, and the Surly is sick !!!
    RTW.

mtbr member

Not a Surly

Quote Originally Posted by rickthewelder
    Hey X,
    Just had a sip of Glenlivet for ya, hope it warms ya up.
    Happy new year, and the Surly is sick !!!
    RTW.
    I thought it was a Surly too, but I think that is some custom Alaskan made frame. Not sure what its called, but it is very similar to the Pug. Whats that called, Jim?

mtbr member

WildFire

Wildfirecycles.com and icebike.org

Are interesting sites, especially for those Southern Californication mountain bikers whose idea of cold weather riding gear are spandex arm warmers. The rims on the Fatbike are 80mm wide Remolinos, virtually impossible to find now but there are some 100mm wide wheels being newly manufactured now - search the Alaska forum.

Esq, that frickin Nixon has been a great fork for a middle of the road offering. It has a relatively tall AC measurement that I like on my AM bikes and I use it for any front wheel requiring a QR. These 26" SnoCats are the only wheels that I haven't changed over to a convertible hub.

Rick! Back at ya Bud -- nursing Tullamore Dew as we speak [SIZE="1"](Pssst, Get to work on my Uzzi tomorrow huh?)[/SIZE]
    Last edited by mtnbikerx; 01-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.