mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Are clutch derailleurs breaking hangers?

I've been riding for 25 years and in that time broken only a few hangers. However, on two different bikes I have broken 3 in the last 6 months since switching to Shimano clutch type derailleurs.

It has me wondering whether the force once absorbed by the swinging derailleur isn't now being transferred to the hanger causing failure. Seems the only reason I can think of as not once were these failures caused by striking a rock or anything else with the derailleur.

Thoughts / similar experiences?

jddist
    May 2008
    What a great question. I have been wondering the same thing lately after trying to help out a buddy figure out why he has been going through hangers a lot lately. He has broken 2 in the last few rides, each time it breaking when landing a 2 to 3 foot drop. It is on a Yeti 7, the same bike I ride and have never had a problem, but I use a chain guide and he has a SRAM with the clutch. We are going to keep on eye on it but I am starting to think that this might be related to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I think you are on to something

I didnt break the hanger but I did wrap my brand new XTR Shadow Plus rear derailer around my cassette on a very slight g-out. My theory is that the chain length CAN NOT be too short especially on a VPP suspension design w/ a clutch type derailer. Since I put a longer chain on my Carbine 275, I have not had any issues.

jddist
    May 2008
    Yea, chain length should always be the first thing to check, especially with all these new suspension types, DW, VPP..., that have significant chain growth. Not much growth on the Yeti 7, and his chain length was fine, so in his situation that is not the cause.